X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICNJess
    Support Volunteers
    • Mar 2003

Your most embarrassing doctor's visit?

I think we've all had visits where we've blushed! :o I think it helps to think of the humor side sometimes of all we go through...

During my Interstim surgery, my gown had to be completely open...grr...and they asked me to move a little bit...well I was on my tummy, my gown didn't quite move with me and I flashed the anthestesiologist...I didn't get a discount on my bill from him!!! scream lmao lmao

Ohhh the things we go through...
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!
  • auntiedeb
    Angel watching over us
    • Dec 2002

lmao lmao lmao lmao Jess told me this story and I was laughing so hard and my bladder been flaring and hurting but felt good to laugh. thanks Jess.
    Hang in there , There is hope.
    There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

• rjyoon
      ICN Member
      • Mar 2002

I think mine is when I was having various tests (cysto, etc.) run while seeing a uro at a major teaching hospital. Not only were there lots of extra people in the room during the tests, they kept coming & going. Guess what the view from the hall was? The nurses were very apologetic, but I was beyond caring & was giggling because they were trying so hard to protect my modesty, & failing miserably.
      IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

Comment

• Jen_Cole
        • May 2002

Do we have to list only one? LOL!

I went in for a colonoscopy last February. The night before I had steak fajitas. I was not to eat past 7 p.m. (which I didn't) and not to drink anything after 7 except that icky stuff that flushes you out. The next day I went in for the test. All went well. When it was over, I was a bit groggy from the anestisia, but I heard the doctor say something like "Jen, everything went well. You don't have IBS, but stay away from onions and peppers."
        Ewwww!!
        Jen

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

• Jen_Cole
          • May 2002

And this one's from my mom!

When my brother and I were little, my mom had to take us everywhere since my dad worked. One day she had a doctor's appointment, so she loaded us into the car and off to the doctor's we went. Now, I love my mom to death, but she has always been the kind of person who is a little proud and wants others to think she has everything. As she was talking to the doctor, he noticed my little brother's very nice outfit. He commented on it, and my brother exclaimed, "My mommy got this at a garage sale!" She was a bit mortified, lol!
          Jen

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

• tigger_gal
            ICN Member
            • Apr 2002

lol, I'll never tell
            ok seriously now when i was pg with my daughter the dr asked me Cindy, how many siblings you have, I said 2 brothers and a sister.. my mom says Cindy!!!! then I said 2 brothers and 2 sisters.... my mom said Cynthia Lynn what the hell is wrong with you.... I looked at my mom as if to say well how many do I have.... after I min I said uuumm 2 sisters and a brother lmao only took three tries
            there are many more but thats the one I'll share that was 16 years ago
            Brat
            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

• 08pw70
              ICN Member
              • Jan 2003

A friend of mine needed to have her teeth cleaned and had to take her 4 year old daughter to the dentist with her. While the dentist (male) was looking at her teeth he asked the 4 year old "does your mommy floss every day?" and her daughter laughed and said "are you kidding, my mommy doesnt' even sleep in underwear"! My friend was so embarrased and so was the dentist - who knows what the little girl thought flossing was!
              Live life to the fullest day to day. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

DX: IC - November 2002 after hysterectomy
              Interstim implanted March 2006 - died May 2011
              Interstim replacement June 2011
              Meds: Pain meds, muscle relaxer, cystex, and marcaine bladder instills as needed.
              Docs: Pain management doc, urologist, family practice

Comment

• scootermom
                • Jan 2003

lmao at all of these.

Cindy, yours reminded me of mine. When I was in college I met this guy, and for some reason I introduced myself to him as Stacy. I then had to tell him that I had no idea why I just said that because my name is Sara. Duh! Too bad I'm a blonde too! lmao

Edited to add now I feel even more stupid- mine is just an embarassing moment but doesn't have anything to do with going to the doctor! lmao Although it has been very embarassing to tell dr.s lately about clitoral pain. eek

Comment

• Italia
                  • Jul 2005

Mine was the first time i went for an examination at the hospital, i had to go to a waiting room full of people with similar problems, we were all waiting to see the same urologist.

The nurse told me i should go and change into a gown then come out and wait with the others. So i went and changed into it but it didnt close at the back so anytime i moved i was flashing everyone in the waiting room. There were quite afew others in there waiting with the same problem, we all got to know each other pretty well!

It was fine whilst sitting down but then they called my name and the nurse told me to follow her so im walking behind her holding my handbag in one hand and trying to hold the gown together with the other but she seems to think we're going on a sponsored walk or something around the hospital, all these people were looking at me like i had escaped from somewhere.

I totally hadnt prepared for it so i was walking around in a holding a clutch bag wearing nothing but a flashers gown, some stripey 'toe socks' and boots!!!

I've never been more pleased to get out of somewhere in my life...
                  :woohoo:

Comment

• Sarojini
                    Support Leader
                    • Jan 2004

Oh geeze... well, the first one was the first appointment I had with the uro who diagnosed me. My husband knew him because Hubby had had this uro's kids in school (he was a teacher at a college prep school in Memphis) and called in a favor to get me seen fast. While the doctor was doing my pelvic exam he kept asking about my husband and other people at the school where my husband taught....

The second one was after my cysto/hydro when I was still out of it from the anesthesia (this is after I made a scene in pre-op and kept saying quite loudly that I loved my husband and if anything happened to me he should remember that, and they came out and injected me with something so I would be quiet, and in their words, "stop scaring the other patients").... I had to prove I could pee before I could leave, so I said I had to pee, but I was REALLY out of it and dizzy -- I went down the hall, gown COMPLETELY open in the back, IV pole in tow, nurse following me while I was clinging to the wall and saying that the world was sideways. My husband said it was priceless.
                    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

• megancolleen
                      ICN Member
                      • Mar 2005

That's hilarious, Jen.
                      I have: Interstitial Cystitis,Eustacian Tube Dysfunction, IBS, Sciatica.

I take: Elavil 50 mgs, Balziva birth control, and Elmiron instillations.

I am: Not my disease.

My Myspace Page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=4249067

Comment

• SharonA
                        ICN Member
                        • Jan 2002

Once again, thank you for bumping this up. I missed this one the first time around, also.

My most embarrassing doctor story has nothing to do with IC. Although, like Jen, I also spent a great deal of time telling my hubby how much I loved him and that he was never to forget it no matter what happed to me during the procedure when I was being prepped for my C/H. The nurse came and and said that I seemed to be very nervous. No kidding...I was a basket case. She ended up giving me a shot to calm me down and shut me up.

Anyway. on to my real doctor story...35 years ago this past May 17, I gave birth to my one and only child, a boy. Because his head was sorta big, I tore pretty bad and had to be stitched up...hole to hole. Needless to say, I had some pain from the stitches and was very uncomfortable.

A very concerned nurse came in and sprayed my wound with some sort of spray and told me it should help with the pain and healing. What I didn't know at the time was that I am allergic to Witch Hazel, which was one of the ingredients in the medication. I am here to tell you that my poor clitoris swelled up so much that it looked like I had grown a penis.

When my doctor (a family friend) came in to take a look, he started laughing and said that he was going to write an article for a medical journal about the woman who grew a penis. (Somewhere, in some book, I am famous.) I think every doctor, nurse, technician, maybe even janitor came in to take a look for themselves. "Hello Mrs. So and So...would you spread 'em so I can have a look for myself"?
                        Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
                        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
                        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

• patricia1
                          ICN Member
                          • Mar 2005

My most embarrassing moment had more to do with family than the doct. When I was preg with my daughter who know is 11, I was seperated from her dad. So the only person I could find who would do labor and delievery with my was my brother. He was 8 yrs older than me. So here I am buck naked in the delievery room trying to push this baby out and the nurses having to do it for me. Nothing was covering me up. At the time it was okay, but later on when I thought about it UGGG!!!! But at least he was there for me, when no one else was...
                          God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
                          www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
                          Interstim Sept 2001
                          1st InterStim Removal May 2005
                          2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
                          2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
                          Hysterectomy 1999
                          Tubes Tied 1997
                          C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

• Sarojini
                            Support Leader
                            • Jan 2004

LOL -- Sharon, your story is horrible yet hilarious I am glad that the swelling went down but that must have been awfully painful, with the tear and then the allergic reaction on top of it!!!

Patricia -- I'm glad your brother was there for you.
                            Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                            *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                            *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                            *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

• VickiB
                              ICN Member
                              • Mar 2004

My most embarrassing doctor's visit, though 29 years ago, is still quite vivid!

I'd gone in to my GP for a suspected UTI. He was a nice, down to earth, older fellow with a practice in the country. Anyway, his nurse called me back to give a urine sample, then asked me to return to the waiting room.

For being in the country, they had a room packed with other patients waiting to be seen. I took a seat, and picked up a magazine waiting for the nurse to call my name to go back and speak with the doctor.

Suddenly, the door burst open and out comes the doctor. Holding my urine high in the air so he could see it against the lights, he exclaimed, "Vicki! Did this come out of you!"

Vicki
                              "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

Working...