Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VickiB
    replied
    It makes me so sad to think it is most likely some trusting old man/old lady who sends them their whole life savings
    I think this happens more than we know. And it's not just the elderly. A close friend of mine, relatively young, smart, etc, was scammed two years ago. It's a shame!

And what's even worse, in the case of my friend, the scammers were in the US. They knew who they were. They knew where they were. And yet there was nothing she could do about it because law enforcement is too busy and attorney costs are prohibitive. It appears there is little risk and a whole lot to gain for those committing fraud today.

Leave a comment:

• amaranthe
    replied
    They sent me one of those too. Like you guys, I also dont have a PayPal acct. Those Nigerian scammers also have sent me a few emails. This is the one where they tell you they need an agent in this country to cash their check, and they will write it for $500 more than they need you to send back to them and you can "keep" the "extra $500" for doing them this favor. (That scam's been around forever! Cant believe they are still trying to get people to believe it's legit! But, like you guys mentioned, unfortunately, somebody out there has to be falling for it or they wouldnt still be sending these emails out.) It makes me so sad to think it is most likely some trusting old man/old lady who sends them their whole life savings, just because they have gone senile and their family doesnt realize it yet or keep them away from email accts (or computers) unsupervised.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    I think we all get that and open them or tempted too. I think it was the paypal account that got me as well, and like you Donna, I don't have an account.
    A while back my bank supposely sent me something about my account, and I did open it to see what it was but then there was another website so I knew something was fishy there so I called my bank and they told me under no way do they sent something to me thru internet.

Leave a comment:

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    Vickie is right, if they send it to enough people, one is bound to take the bait. I keep getting the foreign lottery messages, and the text messages that I have just won something. NOT!

Leave a comment:

• VickiB
    replied
    Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
    it was addressed to "undisclosed recipients" ---

What's really sad is that people must actually fall for this!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    started a topic Stupidity Award!!!!!

Stupidity Award!!!!!

I honestly feel like the spam email I received this morning should have some kind of award for stupidity!

The email indicates that they have been notified by my credit card company that my PayPal account may have unauthorized charges. Of course there's a web address to go to correct the situation and order numbers, etc., to reference.

Why the stupidity award? I don't have a PayPal account, but most importantly, it was addressed to "undisclosed recipients" ---

Donna
Working...
X