Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever had a "job interview from hell?"share your story so i dont feel alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flowerangela
    replied
    yea he was the type of person even someone who isnt sick wouldnt want to work there long.laurie they actually have some distance ed classes online for becoming a florist. (no floral schools in my area) you watch some dvds about floral arranging,buy your own flowers (could get to be pricy) and then snap photos of your arrangements and send them back into them for completion.open book tests and such.. it looks interesting if buying my own flowers wouldnt be difficult or pricy. ive also found some hands on classes here at various flower shops more of for people who do this as a hobby but it would be fun.i will continue to search for "ic friendly" jobs and am going be upfront with the interviewers about my condition since it does affect me in life and at work hopefully will find an understanding place soon.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I think it's a blessing that you didn't go to work there. It doesn't sound like a good place for an ICer to work.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    job interview

Flower,
    It sort of sounds like that job was not meant to be.
    I think the long distance classes sound like a great idea. What type of classes were you thinking of taking?
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    yea.. ended up not working for him anymore.. wouldnt have wanted to stay. he would not accomodate me for days off for drs appointments and such. i guess he took advantage because i told him it would be ok if it wasnt a paid position.. like volunteering. he had planned on hiring me till he saw my IC pain in action one day at work.considering taking some distance ed classes online.

Leave a comment:

• VickiB
    replied
    I'm so sorry. I know you wanted to work with flowers, but honestly, this just doesn't sound right! I have never gone unpaid while training for a job, and find it a little hard to believe someone would expect one to. (?)

Vicki

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    thanks guys,he never called me today. im debating whether to call him tomorrow and let him know i would like to come in or just let it be and see if he calls me. i'm really struggling with the decision.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I have to wonder how good a boss this guy would be if he decides to keep you on. Just remember that it's your decision regarding whether you choose to work for him.

I have to wonder how legal it is to expect someone to orient without being paid. I suggest you check that out.

Warm hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    interview from hell

Good grief, Flower. I'm almost tempted to say it's not worth it, but I know how much you want this job.
    I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons, taking the impact on your body into consideration.
    Let us know what happens.
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    update found out he IS my boss.yeah.. so far he made me work for 2 days (unpaid training) which were not part time hours (20 hrs a week) thu and fri. he also does not give anyone breaks or lunch periods.. we have to eat while we're working/on the phone. its really screwing up my schedule with taking my elmiron.fri i started experiencing stress because he was getting onto me for stupid little things (hes a workaholic and perfectionist everything has to be done his way),so i started experiencing pain during work and told him it was time for me to go home after bein there for over 4hrs unpaid. i had had enough learning/training for the day that it was affecting my ic. he freaked out and has a long drawn out convo w/ me about he doesnt know if i will be able to handle the job with my ic (i told him bout the ic in my interview). i told him i will need to be out for doctors appts,physical therapy,etc also. he doesnt like that and is not willing to work with me so far.he doesnt understand how on thu i was like a normal person and fri i was crippled in pain. i told him ic is like that.so now...he has went back on his word about starting me out on monday (paid).. and tells me he will think about if hes going to keep me or not over the weekend.i'm expecting a call from him tomorrow.in my anger yesterday i sent him an email stating the TN labor laws state he must provide at least a lunch or a 30 min break minimum.i also sent him the laws about its illegal to discriminate against someone with a disability and fmla would protect me by law for dr's appointments. we'll see what he says tomorrow. if he doesnt keep me its his loss and i will continue to look for other jobs. he says no one will hire me with ic... yea.right.
    Last edited by flowerangela; 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bubbe1
    replied
    interview from hell

Flower,
    You go girl!!
    I think it's great that you stood up for yourself, and got the job!
    Have fun!
    Laurie

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• VickiB
    replied
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    update:got the job.

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    ironically they have called me in for a 2nd interview today..same guy..such is my life. i'm not gonna let it upset me like the first one no matter what happens.ic has taught me to be strong in more ways than one can imagine.if i do go to work for them i dont think i will be working for him. hes just an "interviewer"...only reason i will put up with bs is working with flowers has always been my dream..and no one or ic is going to stop me.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Agree with Donna and want to add that at least you found out up front what a jerk he is. Imagine actually having to work with someone like that! That interview was bad enough, but working for him could have made for a really bad situation!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X