I'm losing my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm losing my

Hey, my name is Emily, most of you know me as Lexus. I documented an IC trial study for AF-219 a few years back on this forum. Here's my dilemma:
    I've been with the same company for over ten years (I'm a retail store manager). Today, my boss meets me at work to tell me I'm being placed on suspension and possibly fired because I've had to take too many sit down breaks in the past two weeks. (Ive been in a horrible flare and I ran short on my pain medicine). I've battled with IC for my entire life, I'm 30 now. My doctor is sending them what they need, but even if they accept it and are willing to accommodate, I don't want to go back. I was treated very badly this morning. I was in tears. They treated me as if I had done something horrific. I don't have anything bad on my record at work. I'm just going through a horrible flare. They didn't want to know what was wrong with me. I have told my boss several times about my IC. I've never been offered any type of accommodations or anything of the sort. I've always been able to just push through, because honestly, I don't have a choice. I support myself. I don't have anyone else to rely on.
    I'm curious what my next steps should be. Can they fire me for this? They were aware I have this condition. Should I contact a lawyer? I'm so blown away by the whole thing. I am located in Alabama, but my company is an EOE. Thank you for any advice on this. I'm scared.
    IC my whole life. Diagnosed 9 years ago. 30-50 potty trips a day. Currently participating in AF219-005, a new drug study for IC. Hopeful for a cure.
    This is the link to my updates on the study drug: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...r-new-medicine

Re: I'm losing my

I am so sorry you are going through this! I am sorry too that nobody has responded yet.

In Canada, employers are not allowed to fire you based on health conditions! I have done a little Human Resources work and know this to be true. However, does it happen? Yes! Usually employers will fire based on some other reason. My best friend has Crohn's disease and she has been let go from two different jobs now because of her Crohn's. She has always been told she was dismissed but that they couldn't tell her why she was fired. Each time she has been fired it has been after a HORRIBLE flare for her!

With that being said, it can be fought! She never has fought it. With my current condition and my health the way it is - where work is extremely difficult some days as I have high frequency and pain as well - I worry about this as well but I truly believe I would fight it because I know 'some' Human Resource rules.

Thinking about you and hoping you have better days ahead.

Current Meds:
    1 Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    1 Cimetidine 300mg 2x a day
    4 Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day (3600mg)
    1 - 2 Atarax 25mg at bedtime
    1 baclofen 10mg 3x a day as needed
    200mg of Pyridium 3x a day (usually do in cycles - on for a week or two as needed) - I am very careful about this.
    2 belladonna and opium suppositories as needed for pain daily.
    Bladder instillations (Lidocaine, Heparin, & Sodium Bicarbonate)

I have tried but failed -
    lidocaine instillations, heparin instillations, oxybutynin by mouth also called ditropan, tylenol 3s with coedine, cyclobenzaphrine, Ativan, vesicare, Oxytrol patches worked for 3 to 4 years and then failed, I tried Uracyst and had some success but my urologist felt that it was not successful so we moved on to trying something else. .
    [/I]

Comment

[QUOTE=wizbe;696816]I am so sorry you are going through this! I am sorry too that nobody has responded yet.

In Canada, employers are not allowed to fire you based on health conditions! I have done a little Human Resources work and know this to be true. However, does it happen? Yes! Usually employers will fire based on some other reason. My best friend has Crohn's disease and she has been let go from two different jobs now because of her Crohn's. She has always been told she was dismissed but that they couldn't tell her why she was fired. Each time she has been fired it has been after a HORRIBLE flare for her!

With that being said, it can be fought! She never has fought it. With my current condition and my health the way it is

Actually, she posted the same thing on more than one forum --- and there were responses

I hope things are working out for her

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by Lexus View Post
        Hey, my name is Emily, most of you know me as Lexus. I documented an IC trial study for AF-219 a few years back on this forum. Here's my dilemma:
        I've been with the same company for over ten years (I'm a retail store manager). Today, my boss meets me at work to tell me I'm being placed on suspension and possibly fired because I've had to take too many sit down breaks in the past two weeks. (Ive been in a horrible flare and I ran short on my pain medicine). I've battled with IC for my entire life, I'm 30 now. My doctor is sending them what they need, but even if they accept it and are willing to accommodate, I don't want to go back. I was treated very badly this morning. I was in tears. They treated me as if I had done something horrific. I don't have anything bad on my record at work. I'm just going through a horrible flare. They didn't want to know what was wrong with me. I have told my boss several times about my IC. I've never been offered any type of accommodations or anything of the sort. I've always been able to just push through, because honestly, I don't have a choice. I support myself. I don't have anyone else to rely on.
        I'm curious what my next steps should be. Can they fire me for this? They were aware I have this condition. Should I contact a lawyer? I'm so blown away by the whole thing. I am located in Alabama, but my company is an EOE. Thank you for any advice on this. I'm scared.
        Australia is different. If you tried to fire someone on this basis, all hell would break loose! That is no help to you, so my suggestion is to research employment law in your state. If this is difficult, consult someone who knows all about this area. Do it now before they actually fire you. I have a question. What is a sit down break? Is it a toilet break or just a requirement that you sit down whilst you work?
        Elmiron 2 x 100mg daily for IC
        Relpax 40mg as needed for migraine
        Vitamin D - 1 tablet per day
        Vitamin B - 1 tablet per day
        Iron/Vitamin C Tab - As needed, usually during my period.

Previous Medications:
        Topamax - 2 x 50mg daily (migraine)

Comment

Working...
        X