no sick days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no sick days

At my current job there are no personal or sick days. When I have to take a day off due to IC I do not get paid. Anyone else have this problem? I have been at this job for almost six months and have been looking for a new job but nothing has turned up yet. banghead

Hello magenta55,

What is current job? Is there another company you could work for in the same career field that might offer sick days? Does your employer know you have IC? I'm not sure what to suggest, perhaps you need to talk to a supervisor or manager, and explain your situation. A note from your doctor might help your case.

Good luck,
    Alexa
    My story of healing and hope http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/alexa.html

Comment

Hi Alexa,

My current job is in a call centre. They will not offer paid sick days even if a doctors note is provided. I'm just hoping to find a better job so I can leave there.

Comment

Magenta,

Wow -- I'm sorry to hear you don't have sick or personal days. That's got to be rough. I've worked for my company 6 yrs so I do have a good amount of personal time off, but what really helps me is being able to telecommute from home when/if I need to. However, I've been hearing that some of the higher-ups are now trying to cut back on that, so I may have to get medical clearance through my doctor in order to continue having that option.
        Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
        Diagnosed with:
        IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
        Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
        Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

I work in a city where finding an employer that offers sick time is pretty rare. Companies that experience frequent employee turn-over don't want to offer sick time nor do small companies(with 50 employees or less) that don't have to comply with the FMLA. I have tried to stay with the same employer. Once loyalty has been established some employers tend to be more flexible. I still have a hard time missing work for Doctor's appointments. It's not the Business Owner that complains, it's other employees that whine.

I hope you are able to find a new job soon. It is so hard to have to be at work every day, no matter how bad you feel.

Lisa kissing
          "The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved." Victor Hugo

Comment

I am one of the lucky ones that does get sick time, but Iran out of that and personal time too. I am taking a leave of absence fromwork for a while after my surgery. I need to get better and heal. the are very good with me at Walmart. So sorry to hear that you don't have sick time. You need to take care of you andyour body. Noone else will do it. Hang in there. There is hope. I am a cashier too. I can't worry if they are going to be short and knowing that next week is the busiet week for us before Easter. I need to take care of me. I tell them I feel bad, they said your health is more imporant. Hang in there.there is hope.
            Hang in there , There is hope.
            There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

I certainly know what it is like to run out of sick days. My inability to work and the awful condition of my bladder is why I had to eventually apply for SS disability. Are you able to work most of the time?

--------------------------------------------------
              Hope is the thing with feathers
              That perches in the soul,
              And sings the tune without the words,
              And never stops at all. --Emily Dickinson
              Liz

Comment

Hi, I am able to work most of the time a full day but lately only half a day due to my pain level and anxiety about the upcoming operation. work has been really good with, the supervisors and management. They know that I am in pain and they know when I am not feeling good. I have some co-workers that care about me and are very supportive of me. Dad even nows seems to be very supportive ofme, I think now that he belives that I have pain and that there is something wrong with me. Today, he put a shirt on that I bought him at Walmart and that made me feel good. I don't like the pain I am having but its only for a few more days and I have my pain meds. Thank God for my surgeon. Hang in there. There is hope. thanks for caring.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Hi Deb. Hope you are feeling better soon. It must be hard to have a job where you have to stand all day when you are in pain.

Magenta

Comment

Thankyou so much Magenta. Work is really good and today i feel better. going to bring my elmerion to work and buy some advil and tyleonol and work with it. I finally got the pain under control, did alot of resting yesterday when I came home from work early and went to bed early. Just a few more days to go until surgery.. I am going to see if I can have tommorow off too. That will help ali ttle.

Love, Debbie

Comment

I give credit to you for working with IC. I did for 2 years while DMSO was working but then had to quit when it stopped. I know how awful it is to work while in chronic pain and then having to put up with disapproving glances as if to say "Oh no she is complaining again." Is there any way you can go on temporary disability?

Comment

Hi Mary, I am on a medical leaveof a bsence for awhile, just had surgeryon Wed, laprscopy to remove adheisons from prior surgires. work is good for me and and I like working. It help sometimes get my mind off the pain. But right now, I amtaking time off and taking care of me. I don't want to rush righ tback to work and end up worse or back in the hospital. I have done that too many times. Thanks for asking. How are you doing? I haven't heard from you in a while. Hang in there. there is hope. take care. Happy Easter. bunny

Love, Debbie

Comment

Working...
                        X