A Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Thought

I've talked to a lot of IC sufferers on the chatroom that can no longer work because of their current circumstances or recent surgery. That doesn't mean we're not useful people or have no need of money. I actually have more financial needs because I'm not working, my husband's health benefits were cut, prescription copays are expensive and IC meds are new, insurance co-pays and deductibles, some idiot drove down my street and slashed my tires...you get the picture. This week my husband had his pay cut 5%. He didn't get the raise he was promised...3 times this year...and now he gets a pay cut because a project was overdue and overbudgeted that he had nothing to do with and has spent the past month working 60 hours a week fixing. banghead My husband and I design websites. We all do something someone else needs. I proofread really well. We're all attached to the WWW and we spend insane amounts of time online.

ps--Its 5am--I did not proofread this :p

I know exactly what you mean. I had to quit my job in March. I really miss working. My doctor has me on disability, and wants me to sign up for SSI. I'm only 33 and have 3 young kids. For some reason, I have it in my head that SSI is for older people. I know that's not true. It's not so much financially but mentally I need to work. Having a medical condition can get very expensive. I had to go through my previous employers COBRA plan to keep my insurance. It costs alot, but I'm using the money I would be paying in daycare if I was working. My husband doesn't have insurance through his employer and since I have a chronic condition, I couldn't get private individual insurance. I looked into Medi-Cal and my share of cost was 4 times more than my COBRA plan!! Also, if you go on SSI, you have to be on it for 2 years before you can qualify for Medicare. I hope everything works out for you. Just think positive! I've been told that things will get better for so long now, I think it's starting to rub off!

Comment

Now that the interstim is back up, I'm going to get a part time job at least--because we have to have the money. I've had success working for temp agencies and I love the fact that there's no pressure to go in day after day when you see that you're in for a long flare. I can cancel a contract at any time. Its hard on my body, but its good for my mind. I need to start painting now that I have a house and a place to do it. I was taking correspondence courses to finish my last few credits for my bachelor's degree...but then the university said they wouldn't allow me to finish by correspondence school. GRRR. Its for the best. I wanted to transfer out to a new school anyway. Its just frustrating because I didn't feel like going to class, but it will motivate me. Hang in there. I had two really bad years, but it is getting better for me. It takes time and you must rest. I still wish we could all get together and pool our talents...

Comment

Hi,
        Just reading your trials, makes me feel better becasue I am not alone!!! I have such huge worries about money and work. Right now I work eight hours a week with a senior lady, just takeing her out to lunch and run errands wiht her. It is EXHAUSTING for me, and there are many days I struggle through the four hours I spend with her. I have my degree in Elementary Education and would love to teach, but cant becasue I am so sick. This leaves me worried that furture employeers, if I can ever work full-time, will look at this time as a bad thing. Any advice out there? I'm 26 and since I graduated when I was 24, I havent worked long enough to qualify for anything.

Comment

i get ssd and i didnt think i could get ssi either until i was talking to a ssi worker the other day and with my family being under income and we also have three small children she set me up a appt for aug 11 8:30 am in the morning she said we should get appoved there is no reason we shouldn't get it.
          Medicine taken daily or as needed:
          1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
          2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
          3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
          4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
          5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
          5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
          6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
          7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Thats great Dixie!

How did the apt go? Fortunally, I guess my husband makes too much money for us to qualify I think. But its good to know that you are getting help!

Comment

Working...
            X