No announcement yet.

Dry skin relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the in-shower moisturizers. The Olay one did turn my bathtub into a skating rink, like Sandy said (sorry to borrow your analogy, but it was great ). I now use these products from Bath and Body Works "Breathe" line... there are super moisturizing shower gels and also in-shower body lotions. I find these in-shower lotions don't slip up the tub as much but still work well! I like the "Comfort" and "Romance" scents the best & order them online at http://www.bathandbodyworks.com.

I also recently found another nice body wash -- it's Caress Exotic Oils Morroccan scent. It smells kinda spicy but clean at the same time, and it is basically a creamed body oil. Works great!!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Oh that sounds lovely Jen! I must look for it the next time I run out (most likely BEFORE, lol) of body wash! I am liking the Dove "Nights" something or other right now.
      Hugs,
      Tracey
      How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
      IC dx'd Nov 2004
      Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
      Possible IBS
      Current IC Meds
      Vistaril 25mg in the evening
      Previous IC Meds taken:
      Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
      Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
      Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
      Others:
      Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
      Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
      Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
      Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

l.thomas,could you give me the ingredients for your sea scrub?if you don't want to i understand,if not i would really like to buy some from you,it sounds wonderful,my hubby always has flaky skin it is soooooooo dry all the time and mix that with ultra sensitive,eczema,he can barely use anything.we have yet to find anything that actually takes the flaky skin away.the olay regenerist moisturizer keeps him moisturized without breaking out ,but he still always has crusty skin in places(yuk,i know).so i would be really interested to see if this works.i guess i just always assumed scrubs would make him break out because of how sensitive his skin is,but you said this is good for sensitive.sorry so long and boring!!!!!!! let me know.

Comment

This thread was just what the doctor ordered. This weather has been so dry. Besides the dry skin, the static on everything is driving me crazy! My fingers are so dry they are cracking on the side of the nails. I had one finger so tender today and I had to play the piano at church. Ouch - some notes didn't come out so well.
          I miss a foamy bath so if the bodycology works I will be in heaven. THanks Sandy

Comment

Lately, I have been using Lubriderm Moisturizing Lotion with Shea and Cocoa butters in it. I can't sleep because my skin itch because of dryness, so I rub this lotion on, it works for me, no itching. I was worry about putting this lotion on me because my skin is so sensitive, but this is hypoallergenic, and it doesn't irritate my skin.

But when you do take a bath, the lotion does make the tub alittle slippery.

Trishann

Comment

Im addicted to H2O products. Ive been using them for years. www.h20plus.com is their website. I have also found the products at Bergners.

They use natural ingredients that are water and natural ingredient based. I use the scent Raspberry Guava. I use the lotion and the soap. My mom is loves their stuff too. I always buy her a bunch for holidays. They also have a line of facial products and spa products. They also have this cashwear robe that Im dying to get. It was one of Oprah's favorite things a few years ago. Its $120 so its low on my list of priorities, but high on my list of wants.

Hope this helps!
              Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Comment

Jergen's also has a Shea Butter lotion/cream that I got for my mom for Christmas - that stuff is great! And the shea butter is like the first ingredient listed...

For my hands, I use Aveda Hand Relief. That stuff is wonderful! My mom-in-law is the one who got me hooked on it, the first Christmas I ever went down there with hubby before we were married. Between the weather and the Ditropan, my hands were just awful looking! They looked shriveled - I had deep grooves running the length of my fingers, well, kind of how your fingers look all bath pruny, lol. That stuff was amazing in helping to combat that, so now it's all I use.
                Hugs,
                Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                IC dx'd Nov 2004
                Possible IBS
                Current IC Meds
                Previous IC Meds taken:
                Others:

Comment

I'll have to try the Aveda hand relief. Between washing my hands after so many bathroom breaks, the cold weather, being paranoid about germs, etc., my hands are super dry. I lotion them sometimes three or four times a day and they're still dry!
                  ~ Stacey

Comment

LOL, I am never without mine, when I go - it's tossed in my purse to go with me! It's nuts because I have a million hand creams around, thinking I could find a substitute for it, but, nope.
                    Hugs,
                    Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                    IC dx'd Nov 2004
                    Possible IBS
                    Current IC Meds
                    Previous IC Meds taken:
                    Others:

Comment

I just bought this stuff made by Suave at the grocery store. It's called "exhale" Lime Verbena. OMG It smells wonderful. Just a drop or two on the bath poof and you have a huge lather. The way my sinuses have been so screwy lately, it HAS to have a great strong scent or I couldn't smell it.

Once a month I go to Walmart or Target (or BOTH) and splurge on all these bath products, soaps, soaks, sea salts, etc. Refill my stock! I am not really all that sensitive to bath scents or perfumes, so I seem to do ok if I add bath salts every few days to my water. I mentioned the bodycology stuff and that makes a great foaming bath. It doesn't bother the hooha (like my word? LOL) at all, no rashes, no VV, no PFD or infection problems.

I don't know what I would do without my baths. It's the only time I get to be totally alone with my book, candles and great smelling water. Plus it helps me to feel somewhat human again and I can face the family and house for a few hours and be totally relaxed.
                      *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                      *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                      *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Oh I love baths too Sandy! I make my own lavender bathsalt, yummy. It's so relaxing! And hubby wonders why I shut and lock the door...lol... MY TIME!!!!
                        Hugs,
                        Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                        IC dx'd Nov 2004
                        Possible IBS
                        Current IC Meds
                        Previous IC Meds taken:
                        Others:

Comment

Speaking of relaxing....

Bath and Body Works has Lavendar and Vanilla lotion, body wash, etc. It is wonderful stuff. Haven't tried the stuff for the bath as haven't been able to take one lately but the body wash is wonderful. I use it in the shower at night right before bed and I sleep like a baby. The lotion is great too - also wonderful to use as a massage lotion. After a really bad day sweetie uses that to give me a back rub and I relax immediately!! Heaven in a bottle!!

Comment

There's also the pillow spray that brings that relaxing scent to help you sleep.
                            Maggie

Comment

Hey L Thomas and Tracey, let us know when you go into business!

Everyone in my house, including the dogs, is suffering from dry skin right now. Jen, you've inspired me. I'm going to treat myself to some of those Bath & Body Works products. It's been ages since I've had anything but the most utilitarian soaps and moisturizers. No wonder I'm depressed!

BTW, we've started putting a teaspoon of safflower oil on top of the dogs' dinner every day; it is a huge source of vitamin E, and that seems to solve the problem for them, at least!
                              Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                              Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn
                              ___________________________________________________

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Hey Carolyn, lol you bet - will let ya know when the first products come out! LMAO!!! And I think I am going to steal your safflower oil idea - my kitty loves to sleep in front of the heat register in one of the closets, but that in turn dries out her skin, and she "scratches" - by pulling out fur, lol, so every winter she has a lovely little bald spot on her side, geesh! But that sounds like a great idea to help her out! Thanks!!

April - those have to be my favorite scents mixed together! I used to "mix my own" out of my favorite vanilla body spray and my favorite lavender - I'd just layer them - lovely! So, thanks for the tip, I do believe a trip to the B&B site is in order....lol....
                                Hugs,
                                Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                                IC dx'd Nov 2004
                                Possible IBS
                                Current IC Meds
                                Previous IC Meds taken:
                                Others: