No announcement yet.

Okay, THIS is just UNBELIEVEABLE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tune in tomorrow for the next episode of: As Beakers Turn.
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Hahahahahah

I should write a book about my experiences and the politics/seedy underside of science, and call it "As The Beakers Turn -- A Look at Real Life Science in the United States."

'Course, that might ruin one of my biggest hopes -- and that is that young girls go into the sciences (life and especially hard science like physics and engineering). Often girls are turned off by these, due to an outdated sense that "girls aren't any good at science." I'd love to change it, and writing a nasty expose would probably further decrease the number of Americans in general going into science (science is turning into a large group of foreign students -- Americans are few and far between, and that is sad).
      Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
      *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Jen,

Part of my research for grad school this semester deals with girls and participation in math classes. I have this idea that if girls participated more in class (this is a responsibility of the teachers) then they would feel like they were a part of their education and then see that the sciences are a great place to be.

I have a feeling your novel would be a best seller however........people love things based on a true story!!!!

April

Comment

Jen and Aprilmae -- You are so right about girls in science and math. The stereotypes still persist. Listen to these two:

I was at a school board meeting, and I inquired as to how many kids in the high school were enrolled in AP Computer Science. The teacher was able to tell me, so then I asked, "And how many of them are girls?" The answer: NONE. So I said, "Do you have any explanation for that?" and the teacher actually came out and said, "Well, it's not really a women's field, is it?" I am a Professor of Computer Science at a major University! Not a women's field!

My husband asked my daughter if she was planning to take computers (middle school) as an elective. Her response? "Nah, really only boys take that."

Jen, maybe there's something for you to look into as a career change. Gather some statistics about boys vs. girls in Comp. Sci. and advanced math, and write that book. And/or advertise your services to school systems as a consultant, to help them figure out ways to bring more girls into math/science.

OK, that probably should have been a new thread, but it just popped into my head when I read your last two posts.
          Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
          Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

You know, that is a good idea -- that could be a great book to have out there... and the school systems around here definitely need more girls in the classes. My husband was interviewing to be a physics teacher around here for a while when we first moved to NC (he had been a teacher previously) and he found that there were hardly any positions because the kids just aren't taking higher sciences (AP Physics, AP Chemistry, etc) or math (calculus, etc) now -- and he said that even at the schools where there were such programs, the classes were mostly boys.

It makes me angry to hear that. When I was in high school I had a calculus teacher who was very disparaging towards women, but I ignored him all year... and then one day towards the end of the year, responded to one of his comments that "Women can't be engineers" with my acceptance letter to M.I.T. "Oh really?" I said, and walked out.

I ended up going to MIT and majoring in nuclear engineering; later I changed fields a bit in grad school and decided to work on the biological aspects of radiation. The weird thing is, nowadays at MIT, the male/female ratio is about 50/50, believe it or not -- it is when these students hit grad school the drop occurs. In biological sciences, women still make up half of all grad students, but only make up something like 20%-30% of tenured faculty -- tells you something about who's doing the hiring, huh?

As for engineering, physics, etc -- the numbers of women even going to grad school in those fields is just abysmal, and I think only like 5-10% of physics faculty members are women. *SIGH*

Now, that's MIT -- it gets worse at other colleges. At other colleges women don't even bother to go into the sciences half the time, and I don't know why. Maybe because MIT is dedicated to the sciences?

Oh, I could go on and on... and if I could go on and on, maybe I COULD write that book
            Jen

*Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
            *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
            *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Wow...unbelievable. Not only did everyone buy gifts, then return them, then pick up the slack while she took a week off, then bought her flowers and a card....but NOW everyone is supposed to drop everything, buy MORE gifts, and show up to the wedding. That's some pretty big nerve. And on top of that, your boss tried to give you a guilt trip for taking time off in between and after your TWO surgeries!!!

I just can't believe that NO ONE in your office has bothered to email, call, send a note, NOTHING!! You are SO doing the right thing by looking for another job. They simply don't appreciate you, and even more than that, they really are toxic. You can do so much better! Even if you have to take a pay cut, sometimes it's very much worth making less money to be happy and appreciated.

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
              ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
              back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

It's really depressing to hear about girls avoiding science and math classes. I thought we had passed that point decades ago! What's wrong with this picture?

Comment

Thanks Claudia...

I've been applying to jobs, but it's just so darn hard to find them, especially since John and I don't want to move yet again. *sigh* But I'm trying, I'm keeping at it. Every time I see a possible job I apply, and something's gotta come eventually...

After a lot of soul-searching, the ideal job for me would almost be teaching or writing health/science articles... maybe writing articles in particular. I've always loved to write, and I live for explaining science to people. I love it when somebody asks me a science question and I'm able to explain it to them in a way that makes them go, "Whoa, I SOOO get it now, thank you thank you!!!" The feeling when that happens is, to quote those MasterCard commercials, priceless.

The writing thing is hard to get into though, I would think. Maybe I could teach, and write a book on the side... or freelance science and/or health articles to magazines on the side...

Anybody out there got any job suggestions for a 32 year old who loves telling people how their bodies work inside??? LMAO
                  Jen

Comment

I think teaching might be right up your alley and I think you would enjoy it. It's so very rewarding and you would get that "priceless" feeling all the time! Then, like you said, you could write on the side. And, with your education, you could teach anything up to college level. There's always a shortage of great teachers!

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
                    ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
                    back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Working...
                    X