Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Tigger -- We all go, but Susannah was the one who wanted to do it. In our Unitarian Church, they have a "secret pals" program every year, matching a volunteer adult with every child in the congregation. The adult sends the child a note and maybe a small gift each week for six weeks, and then we have a lunch party on the Sunday closest to Valentine's Day, where the "Secrets" are revealed and the kids meet the grownups who've been writing to them.

Three years ago, Susannah's secret pal was a woman named Mildred, who had just moved to this Assisted Living facility. Mildred gets around pretty well, but she has a lot of health problems and she couldn't really live on her own. Anyway, she and Susannah really hit it off, and so we have visited Mildred a number of times, and she's even come to visit us.

Susannah was the one who noticed that a lot of the residents there have no visitors, and she asked Mildred if it would be okay if she came to the facility at times when a lot of the residents would be in the lounge, and just visited with whoever seemed lonely. OF COURSE, this was okay with everyone, and Susannah never forgets her day and time. (She doesn't seem to be able to remember to put her clothes in the hamper or practice her cello, but this she is good about.) Since she is not quite twelve, someone has to drive her anyway, so she guilt-tripped us into coming in and visiting too. It's nice to make the older people so happy, but it always makes me sad because my grandmother had senile dementia when I was in my twenties, I was very involved in her care, and it always reminds me of her.

She is like me with water -- we will dive in anywhere. Pool, lake, quarry, river, we don't mind. We live near the Atlantic Ocean; the water is rough a lot of the time, and that's when we love to go in the most. Fortunately we are both strong swimmers.

Leave a comment:

• traceann
    replied
    OMG Tig - I am the same way - if I can't see the bottom forget it, and even then it has to be a bottom that's not icky, lol. I try to just stick with pools - but I stay away from the drain thingy, it creeps me out, lmao!!!

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    sounds like a pisces to me.. bless her heart, it is so swet of her to go and visit. Is this something she dose on her own? I love animals, good thing my city has a law I would own a zillion dogs.. I love water too, just don't go in if I can't see the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    My daughter is a Pisces, she will turn twelve very soon. She is also incredibly empathetic and kind-hearted. She just spent this evening visiting in an Assisted Living facility, where she gave most of her time to the "memory impaired" patients, just listening to these conversations that didnt' seem to make any sense. But she said she knew what they meant. She is also an animal lover and you can't keep her out of the water!

Leave a comment:

• traceann
    replied
    LOL, ok I am still giggling at Donna and hubby getting along "swimmingly" - good one!!!

Leave a comment:

• humpieumpumkin
    replied
    Sandy I can relate...My mom is a taurus...STUBORN AS HELL!!! There were several battles growing up but were great friends now...Imagine 2 taurus people together!

Erika

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    Tom is a taurus in the truest sense of the word. LOL I wont even go there, the sign of the bull is the best description!

Leave a comment:

• Bessie
    replied
    Tigger,
    You are so funny.....you crack me up

Leave a comment:

• Bessie
    replied
    Yes, I am looking to this new phase with my son and soon to be daughter-in-law, and with any luck grandchildren too

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    happy early anniversary early.. you know I will forget.

I am married to a libra... and believe me he don't try to balance anything. he's quiet, means well even when his best intentions fail miserbly.. I think we are good to try to even each other out.. if that makes since.

**warning pain pills in affect** biglaugh:

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Actually having adult "children" is pretty neat!

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Bessie
    replied
    I know what you mean Donna. You look back and think where did it all go???? My one and only son is getting married next month and I just can't believe that is all grown up now. It is kind of like that song Turn Around......they are little and you turn around and they are all grown up and leaving your home. I have heard that once they move out you become more friends than parents so that should be interesting

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Terry and I will have our 35th anniversary on April 7th. It doesn't seem possible.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Billsbaby
    replied
    i'm an aries married to an aries yes lots of fiery personality in this household.we are both very passionate people.

Leave a comment:

• Bessie
    replied
    Like Donna, I am also a Pisces married to a Pisces We both have birthdays in March.

It must be a great combination because we have been married for 24 years!!

I have a tender heart and cry so easy.....I have been praying for a tougher heart but I don't think that is going to happen. I hate to see others hurting and like Sandy I can't stand to see animals hurt or not taken care of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X