My oldest comes home from college today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My oldest comes home from college today

And while I am really excited to see him, I'm worried about him seeing me. I look terrible--I'm puffy in the face, my abdomen is so swollen for some reason, I have dark bags under my eyes, and I just generally look "sick". He knows some of whats been going on with me and he knows I'm taking the prednisone....but he doesn't know how sick I was just last week. I'm trying not to stress him out because he's got so much going on at school.

I want him to be able to go back to school thinking that all is well on the home front, and I know that I'm not going to be able to pull that off.

He IS an adult, technically, and while I'm quite certain he wants to know about my health, *I* don't want him to know everything...know what I mean?

So I've struggled around the house today to get it looking halfway presentable, trying to figure out a dinner I can make that I won't have to stand at the stove long to prepare....

This kid lived with me for over 17 years, but I'm sooooooo worried that HE'LL be worried!

Any moms out there with some great advice to get me through the next week?
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Enjoy your visit Sandy, hope you feel better and have some fun while he is home.

Comment

Hon, one thing I've found out is that my kids need to know when I'm having a tough time. As my oldest said once, "Kids worry too!" What they have told me is that when I'm sick, they will worry, but if they don't trust me to tell them when I'm sick, then they will worry all the time.

I'm glad you'll be able to spend some time with him --- hopefully it will lift your spirits a little.

Warm hugs,
      Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I guess you're right. If I put myself in his shoes and think of my own mom's health, I worry a LOT because she tells me nothing. I have to bug her to death to tell me how her last doctor's visit went...etc.

If he asks I'll tell him the truth I spose. Did you know makeup doesn't cover grey circles under the eyes? At least not any makeup I own... ::sigh::
        *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Children and Mom

Sandy,

I am not a Mom, but as a Child, I certainly worry about my Mom. When she doesn't tell me some of what is going on, I worry so much more. Maybe you could talk to you Son and ask him what he is comfortable knowing about your illnesses. Maybe you could tell him some of it.

I'm sure he will be so darn glad to see MOM, that he won't notice your appearance. (as a tip, I find that yellow under eye cover up with regular cover up over it and some powder, does the trick) I bet he will enjoy Mom's cooking no matter what it is! Better than Ramen Noodles and Pizza all of the time.

So as a grown child myself, I wish you and your Son a great time together!

BIG HUGS!!!!!

Kara
          Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
          http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

I'm with the girls here Sandy, I was very peeved at my mom that I had to find out about her possible dialysis by hearing a msg on the answering machine from the actual clinic to schedule her "orientation" appt - she then told me "she didn't want to say anything to me yet" I was totally thrown for a loop - one which I would have preferred to have been in! So, keep him in the loop! I would rather know then deal with the unknown, if that makes any sense - and just relax and have a WONDERFUL visit!!!!!!!!!

XOXO
            Hugs,
            Tracey
            How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
            http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
            IC dx'd Nov 2004
            Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
            Possible IBS
            Current IC Meds
            Vistaril 25mg in the evening
            Previous IC Meds taken:
            Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
            Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
            Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
            Others:
            Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
            Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
            Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
            Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

oh I agree, please let him know. Have a great visit and don't over due it
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I think you should let him know that have been having a hard time, but reassure him that you are taking the prednisone and that in time you will feel better. I know how excited you are to see him. I hope you all have a wonderful time. It will be fun!!
                Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Just wanted to let you guys know that in spite of feeling rotten I have had a great time with my son so far. Saturday was a really busy day as we had to go to my younger two kid's swim meet. It was very long and we had to sit on hard bleechers. I thought I would pass out by the time we left there, but, afterward we all (me, my EX husband, and all 3 of my kids) went to a really cool Vietnamese restaurant. I've never had Vietnamese food before and was very worried about my bladder, and my stomach too for that matter. We had a nice time, and it was very nice to get along with my ex and share a table with the kids. We get along GREAT now that we don't live together. Tom took the opportunity to stay in a totally quiet house for several hours, and I sure don't blame him! LOL

The food was great, and I stuck with a shrimp stir fry. It was FABULOUS! I sampled everyone's plate and that was the BEST meal I've had in a long time. I can't wait to go back. My stomach and bladder flared a little bit, but not enough to keep me from going back there. Yummmmmmmmmmmm!

So, today he's off and about doing things with his friends and I probably won't see him for a day or two LOL!

We had a nice chat about my health problems and he really did seem to be understanding without freaking out. It seems to be more my problem than the problem of those around me. They all 'get it', it's me that doesn't totally 'get it'!

Comment

That is awesome :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

So glad your visit is going so well. You have a wonderful son and family
                    Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Working...
                    X