Segment on the today show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segment on the today show

freaked me out this morning. I don't want to start a political discussion, so please don't take this in that direction. I am only writing this because this segment literally made me vomit. I was laying on the couch with my little boy this morning and a segment came on about fake fur from China...it turns out its NOT fake fur, it's from a little dog like animal they call a racoon, but it's a DOG if I've ever seen it. They kill these little guys in the most horrible way possible, and sell their fur to designers here in the USA and around the world.

I got literally sick and I just can't get the film of those cute little puppy like creatures as they were about to be slaughtered out of my mind. I can NOT stop it from replaying.

I'm crying again because of this. How in the world, in the year 2007, do people get away with such abuse?

Like I said, I don't want to make this a political discussion, I'm merely stating how upset/sick this story made me. I'm a softy at heart and it could have been about any animal for any monetary use and it would have made me cry...but this was incredibly sickening to watch. I switched the channel as fast as I could, but it wasn't fast enough.

I really want to stop replaying this film in my head...............
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

OMG SANDY!
    I saw something like that before. I have a tender heart for animals, and it kills me to see them suffer. They are innocent beings. I can't get out of my head what I saw either. I think its a touch of PTSD, you may be experiencing that too??? I don't know, but I'm truly sorry you had to see that, I had a gross feeling come over my body like butterflies and creepy-crawley feeling. It was sick. Well anways, I hope you feel better. I'm proud to be an american! HEHE!

Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

Comment

HI, I saw part of that segment too and changed channels. I can't watch any animal being killed or hurt. It's a dreadful thing that people are making money off the killing of a creature like that and people in our country are supporting it.
      It is hard to get things like that out of your thoughts after having seen it and having such a reaction. You might try mediation for a while....a warm bath and a good book? Sorry you had to see that..........Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
      Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
      Dx'd Hypothyroid
      Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
      June 2007
      Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
      First Cysto 1979
      First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
      Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
      Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
      Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
      Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
      Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
      Bladder surgery 2000
      Dx'd: IBS 2000
      Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
      Laminectomy 1989
      Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
      I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

I think what we need to do is to stop wearing any kind of fur. I didn't see the program and hopefully won't.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Ugh, I heard about that a week or so ago on Fox News, I about fell off my chair, I was so disturbed by that too!!! I am so with you Sandy, it just makes me want to cry - and in fact I did, and it was worse because I was at work when I heard it. ugh. I too hate it when you can't get it out of your head - and I just keep replaying stuff like that and replaying it. There's no way to stop it for me, just time...All I know is that I am just so glad that I didn't SEE the segment, but heard it from my desk, ok, this is nauseating me now, again.

I won't wear any kind of fur - even the fake or the pretend fake (if that makes any sense), I haven't for years. Just can't do it. I just wish more people were like us in that respect!
          Hugs,
          Tracey
          How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
          IC dx'd Nov 2004
          Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
          Possible IBS
          Current IC Meds
          Vistaril 25mg in the evening
          Previous IC Meds taken:
          Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
          Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
          Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
          Others:
          Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
          Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
          Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
          Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Donna,
            I agree with you to the fullest. NO FUR! I also use crulty-free cosmetics and other products such as shampoo and lotions. You would be amazed at how many companies are crulty free. Im not a tree hugger or anything(not that there's anything wrong with that) but I also try to buy free range or natural meat and cage-free hen eggs. I know I sound dumb and obsessive, but it gives me peace to know im supporting people who treat animals humainely before they are butchured even though it cost a little more.

Erika

Current Treatments:
            Interstim Since 5/25/07!
            Birth Control

Comment

I didn't hear about this but all the animals are being mistreated around the world. It's really sad since they can not stand up and fight back. I read where in another country a guy who had a farm was being paid to kill and burry the grey hound racing dogs when they were no longer useable. They were only maybe 3 years old at the most. Lots of people wrote and complained and he was finally shut down and last I heard going to court. Think they arrested him. I don't believe in any kind of animal sport. Exspecially the rodeos. They are just plain cruel.

Comment

Bull Fighting makes me sick, as Sandy described

Erika

Current Treatments:
                Interstim Since 5/25/07!
                Birth Control

Comment

It's HOURS later and I'm still upset. I can't turn the channel off in my head. I just wish so much that I had gotten the TV channel changed before I saw the film. But, then I think about it, and someone has to show it, someone has to see it so someone can DO something about it. I can NOT even imagine what KIND of people can torture animals alive like that and live with themselves. I just don't understand it.

They looked like they could of been Bailey's puppies....the stray we took in over the holidays.........they were carbon copies of her, except much smaller.

I don't know how to turn it off in my head!!!!! I slept on purpose just to get it to shut off for a while and had a nightmare...then I got in the tub with my book and I can't really concentrate fully on the book.

I guess I should turn this new obsession into some sort of action. I think I might write the Today Show and ask them what I can do, who I can write to, etc, to stop this.
                  *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                  *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                  *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Luckily, I was blowdrying my hair when that came on and didn't see it -- I would have started crying and it would have ruined the two presentations I had to do at work today -- I would have been unfocused and unclear because I cannot stand to watch an animal die. Absolutely horrible!!!!
                    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X