Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son is now officially home from college!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son is now officially home from college!

Good and bad feelings at the moment. I enjoy my quiet time so much so it's not just the fact that Tyler is home, but all of his friends have come home from their colleges as well. Tyler is high maintenance in that we are just alike. We both like to have the last word, but since I am the parent, I feel that I should have the last word. He also feels like he should have the freedom he had in college. We went through this last year, but I was too tired to deal with it, even though we tried, but this summer he will have to know that our home will not be the hangout. He is 20 years old and that is too old to have "slumber parties". My husband and I have decided that we can't go through another summer like that. He is really a good kid. He doesn't drink, smoke, take drugs, etc. He is my computer geek and loves to hang out with his friends that he has known for years and they are all good kids as well, I just am used to my empty nest!!! The main place that they hang out at is a gaming place about 2 minutes from my house, so that makes our house convenient for spending the night, eating snacks, cooking (and not cleaning up!)

I lost my job about a month ago and am trying to find another job as quickly as possible. But I also have my older son getting married and this seems like a good time to take care of some of those last minute things as well as take care of myself. My boss, while he was really a "fun" person to work for, he really drained me mainly due to his drama and the fact that I was working a job that just wasn't "my cup of tea" and I could actually do my job in about 2 hours, so the rest of the day was busy work.

I just needed to vent for a few minutes. I am really glad that he and all of his friends are home safely, I just need go get in my pjs and go watch HGTV and zone out for awhile! My thoughts and emotions are all over the place! My older son is graduating tomorrow, but we are going to watch is fiance' graduate from nursing school instead. I wasn't relishing the idea of sitting for 4 hours (at least) to listen for my son's name to be called out. My mother-in-law has already attempted to make me feel guilty since she was so proud when her son (my hubby) graduated, which I was there as well, but he graduated from a small college and it was only about 60 people. There will be about 3500 tomorrow. I explained very nicely that I was already proud as punch that he finished school and whether he walks or not, he will still have that diploma! I know everyone has their own opinion about that milestone and we let our son decide what he wanted to do. He will have his cap and gown, so we will still get pictures and he will still get presents. LOL!

As ya'll can see, I am rambling, so I better close this novel for now!

Hugs and nite to all!
    T83

PS My hubby is sure that now that my son is home, I will be more anxious to find a job! LOL!

Having graduated with 2000 other people, I think you're making the right decision about skipping the ceremony. Just let other people's comments roll off of you.

I know that a bunch of 20 year old boys can be noisy, but as long as you leave snacks in place and delineate clearly where in the house they can and cannot hang, maybe it's not so bad that everyone wants to be at your house. At least you know where your son is, late at night. And it's really a compliment to you. A lot of 20 year olds will do anything to avoid spending time at home. Your son wants to hang out at home. I say, get a pair of earplugs and let them hang. He'll be gone for good soon enough!
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

HI!
      I remember when my son was in High School and we lived in a very small town. Our house was THEE house to hang out at. It was great that they all felt that our house was 'homey' but they ate me out of house and home! LOL SO I told them they had to bring food if they were going to 'live' our house.....well the next thing I knew they were bringing in bags of groceries and cooking them in my kitchen! SO be careful what you wish for! LOL
      Soon enough your son will be grown.....like my son is now....he's 31 and has a family of his own....and what I'd do to have those days back when he was young and all his friends were hangin out! So enjoy it while you can......those days will be gone soon enough.....Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
      Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
      Dx'd Hypothyroid
      Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
      June 2007
      Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
      First Cysto 1979
      First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
      Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
      Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
      Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
      Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
      Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
      Bladder surgery 2000
      Dx'd: IBS 2000
      Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
      Laminectomy 1989
      Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
      I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

My stepson is graduating from college this month but he's not coming home. His girlfriend has her own apartment so he's moving in with her (has been pretty much living there anyway the last few years). I'd much rather have him moving back home.

The grass is always greener...

Comment

I know exactly what you mean by it being nice to know where he is and all! And yes, I tell them to bring their own food and there have been plenty of times that they have cooked it as well. Their favorite is chili, so after they "clean" up, there is tomato sauce everywhere! LOL! I also love chili and since I can't eat it, it kills me. We also have a pool, so they all enjoy swimming, but I had to put a curfew on that several years ago since I am sure that my neighbors wouldn't enjoy listening to that noise, so at 10:00, the pool is closed. They try to tell me that they will be quiet...PLEASE, boys don't know how to be quiet. You hear alot of hey...watch this!

Well, my older son didn't come home from college during the summers. He had his own apartment and because he worked with the college basketball team, he had to work the summer basketball games that ran for several weeks. We were the house to hang out at when he was in high school mainly since we lived in the most centralized location and were close to church. Most of the kids knew our code to get into our garage, so we had many drop ins. We had to change our code when my younger son left for school. One time I came home for lunch and while I was at home and 3 of my younger son's friends came in the door. They all work near here, so they thought that they could take their lunch break here as well. I about scared them to death. The look on their faces was priceless.

My main problem with the late nights is the fact that I don't sleep well, so any noice wakes me up and our bedroom is right next to the den, so when they are watching a movie, I can hear it (even with my white noise and my earplugs) We have put an end to them watching Matrix with the surround sound going!

I also have to wear a wig during the day due to my hairloss (this has been covered in the elmiron posts). So when the kids are here in the evening, I have to put my wig on (as well as wear decent clothes). I am used to being in my pj pants and my spagetti strapped shirt which is not a pretty site I am sure!

Like I said, they are good boys, by the time I went to bed last night, there were 8 of them waiting to go to the movie. At least they were gone by 11:15last night. Tyler is now sleeping and doesn't plan on getting up any time soon! I had to let my dog in to see him this morning since she wouldn't leave his door. She gave him a few wet kisses and then was fine! We won't be home tonight since we are going out of town, so no telling what will go on. I haven't gone to the grocery store yet!

I know I will miss this some day. I already miss going to the baseball and basketball and soccer games that my hubby and I used to go to. My calendar used to be so full of games and practices and I can't figure out how I managed that and worked full-time and kept a cleaner house.

Comment

Good Morning Tracy!
            Ahhh I remember those late nights of the kids watching tv....and back then Nintendo was the BIG thing so I got to listen to all the beeps and noise from those games! LOL It's good you put a curfew on the pool and watching tv....it is very difficult to sleep with that noise. They are adults......not kids so they should be able to handle that! lol
            We live with and take care of my husbands 91 yr old grandfather.....who is almost like living with a teenager! He has to have the tv blareing and makes all kinds of noise early in the morning making coffee....UGH! We have a small a/c in our bedroom and a fan that runs all night just to help drownd out the sounds. Plus I too have to be careful what I wear outside our bedroom and that can be such a hassle some times. I'd rather be in comfy pj's when I'm flaring or feeling bad...so I've gone to wearing sweat pants and a tshirt.
            Take care.......I'm sure things will go better as time goes on........Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
            Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
            Dx'd Hypothyroid
            Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
            June 2007
            Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
            First Cysto 1979
            First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
            Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
            Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
            Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
            Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
            Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
            Bladder surgery 2000
            Dx'd: IBS 2000
            Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
            Laminectomy 1989
            Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
            I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Working...
            X