Having knee surgery on Thurs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having knee surgery on Thurs.

I am not worried about the surgery itself, but I am worried about learning how to use the crutches. I am afraid that I will fall and make matters worse. I am going tomorrow to get some crutches and I think I will try and practice in them. I was also debating whether I shoud use a walker instead.

Has anybody ever used crutchers and can you give me some pointers on how to best use them?

My bladders is acting up because of all of this!
    Meds I take:
    Elmiron, Elavil, Vagifem- for IC
    Albuterol, Flovent, Atrovent- for Asthma and lung problems
    Paxil, Clonazepam- for depression and Anxiety
    Atenolol- for rapid heart rate
    Nexium- for Gerd
    Levothyroxin- for Hypothyroidism
    Lasix, Pottasium- for edema
    Lipitor- for High Cholesterol
    I coated aspirin
    02 at bedtime

Hello,
    I hope everything goes well with the sugery...As far as crutches I cant use them. I am such a clutz anyways the crutches makes it alot worse.. I would suggest the walker.. But you just need to try the crutes first you might do fine on them.. Good Luck
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I've used crutches several times. I'll try to give you a few pointers:

1. Be sure they are adjusted to the correct length. Drop your hands to your sides and hook your thumb over the hand grip with the crutch under your arm. The hand grip should be low enough so you can rest the palm of your hand on top of the grip. The top of the crutch should NOT be in your arm pit.

2. To walk with them, move the crutches a few inches ahead of you, then lean on the hand rests and move your body just to the crutches --- definitely not ahead of them. Your arms and shoulders are going to get sore!

3. Plan on using those motorized carts available in most grocery stores; they're a life saver. And at home I used a wheeled office chair to move around the house to help save my shoulders.

4. Steps can be a problem with crutches. Until I got totally used to crutches, I sat on a step, then scooted down on my behind; going up was easier for me --- our bathroom is upstairs so I had to learn!

What kind of surgery will you be having? If it's arthroscopic, you won't be on crutches very many days --- at least I wasn't. As I recall, I used one crutch for a few extra days. If you get to a "one crutch walk" you will want to put the crutch opposite the surgery knee --- if the surgery is on the right, the crutch goes on the left. Then you move the sore knee and the crutch forward at the same time and lean on the crutch while you move the other foot forward.

If the surgery is more involved, like a knee replacement, ignore all of my suggestions; they will teach you before you leave the hospital.

I'll be thinking of you. Will you be in Eugene or Salem for the surgery?

Warm hugs,
      Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hope the surgery goes well.

Crutches can be a pain sometimes. Try them out before hand and if you don't think you can use them ask if there is something else you can use (walker, cane, ect).

Personaly, I dislike them and am a huge klutz with them (I took out a wicker basket and a glass cat). I ended up using them for 2 days instead of 3 weeks (like I was supposed to) which made rehab a problem.

Good luck with everything ((((Hug))))

Medical "Issues":
        IC
        GERD
        Tachycardia(resting rate is 125-130 )
        Medicastions:
        Tramadol-as needed (IC)-50mg
        Elmiron 200mg twice a day
        Levsin .125mg 1-2 pills 4 times a day

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

(((Hugs))) coming at you, Mel. I hope the surgery goes well and that you have a quick recovery.
            Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
            http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
            http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

i'm an OT

Hey there,

I'm an occupational therapist. I frequently work with patients who have had a hip or knee replacement. At my hospital we do pre-surgery consultations w/ patients and frequently give durable medical equipment before the actual surgery AND allow people to practice w/ the equipment beforehand.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, we can't do a consult ahead of time.

After the surgery we ALWAYS work with patients and teach them how to get out of bed w/ one good leg and one that's killing you. We do this even if we had a consultation ahead of time.

Usually for hip and knee surgeries you work with both physical therapists and occupational therapists.

Usually for the first few days after a knee replacement, patients use a walker b/c they are more sturdy and easier to use. Usually by the time a patient discharges (about 4 or 5 days) they have moved up to crutches. The physical therapist ALWAYS works w/ these patients. If you aren't feeling confident w/ stairs ask them to let you practice w/ them present. We do this all the time. The PT will make sure the crutches are the correct size for you. If you don't feel comfortable w/ crutches even after working w/ the PT, you can always request a walker. If you want practice getting in/out of the car before you go home, a PT can help you w/ that but you'll have to ask b/c it's not routine.

If you're getting a knee replacement you'll also need a shower chair. As an OT, I always teach patients how to get in/out of the tub using a shower chair. Don't worry---you'll have your hospital gown on and we're not going to have you shower in front of us, lol. We just want to make sure you can get in and out safely. You may want to get yourself a detachable shower head to make showering in a seated position more comfortable. We usually practice getting up/down off the toilet. Again, we don't want to stick around for the show, we just want to make sure you can do it safely.

And if you're not getting a total knee replacement then just ignore everything I've said. lol.

Whatever you are having done I wish you much luck and a speedy recovery.
              Last edited by LeeAnn; 05-23-2007, 08:02 AM. Reason: forgot something
              Lee Ann
              Current Rx Meds:
              Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
              Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
              Hooray for babies!
              Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
              Didn't work for me:
              Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
              IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Sounds like Donna knows how to use them! I tried too when I broke my ankle many years ago, but I gave up after about a week. ( When i had to go to the bathroom and it took me forever with the crutches and I was almost within hobbling distance to the restroom!) so I said forget them and I just hopped wherever I needed to go to. (true not the wisest move I ever made but....)

Anyway, good luck with your surgery, you'll be ok I'm sure.

Comment

I am having orthoscopic surgery. I have a lateral meniscus tear.

The hospital told me to bring my crutches with me, so I suppose they will teach me how to use the crutches before the surgery.

Donna, I am having the surgery at Lebanon Community hospital and the doctor is out of Corvallis. It is just same day surgery, but I will be laid up for 4-6 weeks.

I am such a klutz too, so I will see what happens with these crutches. The only steps I have at home is going in and out of my house.

Wish me luck!!
                  Meds I take:
                  Nexium- for Gerd
                  I coated aspirin
                  02 at bedtime

Comment

Good luck with the surgery.
                    TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
                    IC Symptoms began in early 2001
                    Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
                    Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
                    Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
                    Wed Jan 28 2009
                    (Ice Storm Accident)
                    2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
                    Other Injuries
                    Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
                    Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
                    Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
                    Elmiron, Pyridium

Comment

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with the crutches!

Hugs,
                      Donna
                      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      [3MG]

Comment

Originally posted by Mel53H View Post
                        I was also debating whether I shoud use a walker instead.

Has anybody ever used crutchers and can you give me some pointers on how to best use them?

My bladders is acting up because of all of this!
                        If you do instillations, do one the morning of the surgery.

They will teach you how to use the crutches after surgery. You can ask for a pre-surgery PT visit to learn how to do the exercises properly without a lot of swelling and less pain. My OS told me to take pain meds 20-30 minutes before PT. AND to anticipate pain... which meant for me to take the pain meds as written. It is best to stay ahead of pain. chasing it is the pits. Don't worry about addiction. Be sure to write down the time you take it and follow the directions.

I have been around the block with knee surgeries..7 in all.5 arthroscopic debridements, ACL reconstruction, and total knee replacement. I think crutches are the orthopeadic surgeons best friend. If you are in a hurry or have limited space crutches are the best choice. BUT I always fall. I use a walker. If you do decide on crutches, put your weight on the handles, not under your arms. You will have “rug burn” type sores if you use your arm pits instead of you hands. Pad the hand grips with washcloths, At first you will want to walk with the crutches extended out to the sides some rather than close to your legs. As you get better move the crutches closed to your legs. You will have more stability if you stretch them out a little. Make sure to adjust the hand grips to fit in addition to the length of the legs. You should be able to extend your arms and your hands rest comfortably in the grips. If your arms are bent you will be less stable. Get rid of the crutches as soon as your OS gives you the go.

You need lots of ice. The more swelling you can keep down the less pain you will have. I have a cryotherapy unit (a cooler with a recalculating hose attached to a pump). You can make slushy ice packs, Use 3 parts crushed ice and 1 part alcohol and double bag in a ziplock bag. Put 4-5 in the freezer and you will always have one ready.

Probably the best thing you can do is beg, borrow or steal and elevated potty chair that fits on the top of your toilet. Insurance will pay for crutches or a walker, and a 3 in 1 toilet, but not a shower chair. It is considered a luxury. They will probably pay for 2 durable supplies.

After surgery it was helpful for me to have a larger bedside table until I could get around so that I could have room for extras and not have to get up and down so much.

If you will go to the link in my signature you will find a lot of suggestions. It is a very active board with a lot of topics to post on. Just remember, it is like the IC board. Most people are looking for answers. There are a lot of people on the board that have complicated cases and many with complications. Don't let the post scare you. Your surgery has a high success rate. PM me with questions. I may not be able to answer them, but I have “been there... done that.... got 7 t-shirts”.
                        Last edited by L. Thomas; 05-23-2007, 07:09 PM.
                        TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
                        My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
                        Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
                        I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
                        Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
                        Louann

Comment

I hope your surgery goes well today, please post how you are doing.
                          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Well, I was doing fine yesterday because I was full of morphine. Now today I am on Percoset and it is not touching the pain. I am MISERABLE!!!

I thought I would drop a line. I am going to go and lay down and put my leg up with my ice.

Damn Sam!
                            Meds I take:
                            Nexium- for Gerd
                            I coated aspirin
                            02 at bedtime

Comment

I wish I could come over and fix you a milkshake or something.

Donna
                              Stay safe

[3MG]

Comment

Working...
                              X