Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L. Thomas
    replied
    You are over the 5 day hump. It isn't all downhill yet but it should be getting easier to breathe.
    Take your pain meds according to directions. If it says every 4 hours, take it every 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I'm so glad you have someone with you. Do you have any kind of chair that has wheels? Like maybe a desk chair? On the occasions I have been on crutches, I have used a wheeled computer chair around the house. I won't say how many times I've been on crutches, but we bought them!

I have to agree that people are being sent home too soon after surgeries since the advent of the HMO!

Hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• Mel53H
    replied
    Thanks Donna for wishing that you could bring me a milkshake. My son happened to get me a strawberry milk shake today.

I am using the crutches, but nobody really showed me how to use them. I sort of shuffle along and try not to put any weight on it.

I also had my daughter buy me some Depends because I have been unable to make it to the potty. That, in itself, gave me the most problems today. Although, I am still on the Percoset and putting my feet up all day with an ice pack.

I really think that someone that has this done needs to be in the hospital for a few days. This shouldn't be a same day surgery! I was lucky that I had my son home, but everybody does not have someone home to care for them. It was a first for my son to clean up his mom's urine that was dripped on the couch and all over the floor as I was trying to get to the potty. I felt horrible having him clean up my mess.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I wish I could come over and fix you a milkshake or something.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Mel53H
    replied
    Well, I was doing fine yesterday because I was full of morphine. Now today I am on Percoset and it is not touching the pain. I am MISERABLE!!!

I thought I would drop a line. I am going to go and lay down and put my leg up with my ice.

Damn Sam!

Leave a comment:

• tigger_gal
    replied
    I hope your surgery goes well today, please post how you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• L. Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Mel53H View Post
    I was also debating whether I shoud use a walker instead.

Has anybody ever used crutchers and can you give me some pointers on how to best use them?

My bladders is acting up because of all of this!
    If you do instillations, do one the morning of the surgery.

They will teach you how to use the crutches after surgery. You can ask for a pre-surgery PT visit to learn how to do the exercises properly without a lot of swelling and less pain. My OS told me to take pain meds 20-30 minutes before PT. AND to anticipate pain... which meant for me to take the pain meds as written. It is best to stay ahead of pain. chasing it is the pits. Don't worry about addiction. Be sure to write down the time you take it and follow the directions.

I have been around the block with knee surgeries..7 in all.5 arthroscopic debridements, ACL reconstruction, and total knee replacement. I think crutches are the orthopeadic surgeons best friend. If you are in a hurry or have limited space crutches are the best choice. BUT I always fall. I use a walker. If you do decide on crutches, put your weight on the handles, not under your arms. You will have “rug burn” type sores if you use your arm pits instead of you hands. Pad the hand grips with washcloths, At first you will want to walk with the crutches extended out to the sides some rather than close to your legs. As you get better move the crutches closed to your legs. You will have more stability if you stretch them out a little. Make sure to adjust the hand grips to fit in addition to the length of the legs. You should be able to extend your arms and your hands rest comfortably in the grips. If your arms are bent you will be less stable. Get rid of the crutches as soon as your OS gives you the go.

You need lots of ice. The more swelling you can keep down the less pain you will have. I have a cryotherapy unit (a cooler with a recalculating hose attached to a pump). You can make slushy ice packs, Use 3 parts crushed ice and 1 part alcohol and double bag in a ziplock bag. Put 4-5 in the freezer and you will always have one ready.

Probably the best thing you can do is beg, borrow or steal and elevated potty chair that fits on the top of your toilet. Insurance will pay for crutches or a walker, and a 3 in 1 toilet, but not a shower chair. It is considered a luxury. They will probably pay for 2 durable supplies.

After surgery it was helpful for me to have a larger bedside table until I could get around so that I could have room for extras and not have to get up and down so much.

If you will go to the link in my signature you will find a lot of suggestions. It is a very active board with a lot of topics to post on. Just remember, it is like the IC board. Most people are looking for answers. There are a lot of people on the board that have complicated cases and many with complications. Don't let the post scare you. Your surgery has a high success rate. PM me with questions. I may not be able to answer them, but I have “been there... done that.... got 7 t-shirts”.
    Last edited by L. Thomas; 05-23-2007, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with the crutches!

Hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• TexasHoney
    replied
    Good luck with the surgery.

Leave a comment:

• Mel53H
    replied
    I am having orthoscopic surgery. I have a lateral meniscus tear.

The hospital told me to bring my crutches with me, so I suppose they will teach me how to use the crutches before the surgery.

Donna, I am having the surgery at Lebanon Community hospital and the doctor is out of Corvallis. It is just same day surgery, but I will be laid up for 4-6 weeks.

I am such a klutz too, so I will see what happens with these crutches. The only steps I have at home is going in and out of my house.

Wish me luck!!

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    Sounds like Donna knows how to use them! I tried too when I broke my ankle many years ago, but I gave up after about a week. ( When i had to go to the bathroom and it took me forever with the crutches and I was almost within hobbling distance to the restroom!) so I said forget them and I just hopped wherever I needed to go to. (true not the wisest move I ever made but....)

Anyway, good luck with your surgery, you'll be ok I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• LeeAnn
    replied
    i'm an OT

Hey there,

I'm an occupational therapist. I frequently work with patients who have had a hip or knee replacement. At my hospital we do pre-surgery consultations w/ patients and frequently give durable medical equipment before the actual surgery AND allow people to practice w/ the equipment beforehand.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, we can't do a consult ahead of time.

After the surgery we ALWAYS work with patients and teach them how to get out of bed w/ one good leg and one that's killing you. We do this even if we had a consultation ahead of time.

Usually for hip and knee surgeries you work with both physical therapists and occupational therapists.

Usually for the first few days after a knee replacement, patients use a walker b/c they are more sturdy and easier to use. Usually by the time a patient discharges (about 4 or 5 days) they have moved up to crutches. The physical therapist ALWAYS works w/ these patients. If you aren't feeling confident w/ stairs ask them to let you practice w/ them present. We do this all the time. The PT will make sure the crutches are the correct size for you. If you don't feel comfortable w/ crutches even after working w/ the PT, you can always request a walker. If you want practice getting in/out of the car before you go home, a PT can help you w/ that but you'll have to ask b/c it's not routine.

If you're getting a knee replacement you'll also need a shower chair. As an OT, I always teach patients how to get in/out of the tub using a shower chair. Don't worry---you'll have your hospital gown on and we're not going to have you shower in front of us, lol. We just want to make sure you can get in and out safely. You may want to get yourself a detachable shower head to make showering in a seated position more comfortable. We usually practice getting up/down off the toilet. Again, we don't want to stick around for the show, we just want to make sure you can do it safely.

And if you're not getting a total knee replacement then just ignore everything I've said. lol.

Whatever you are having done I wish you much luck and a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by LeeAnn; 05-23-2007, 08:02 AM. Reason: forgot something

Leave a comment:

• SharonA
    replied
    (((Hugs))) coming at you, Mel. I hope the surgery goes well and that you have a quick recovery.

Leave a comment:

• dancemomof2
    replied
    Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• MerryBerryMoose
    replied
    Hope the surgery goes well.

Crutches can be a pain sometimes. Try them out before hand and if you don't think you can use them ask if there is something else you can use (walker, cane, ect).

Personaly, I dislike them and am a huge klutz with them (I took out a wicker basket and a glass cat). I ended up using them for 2 days instead of 3 weeks (like I was supposed to) which made rehab a problem.

Good luck with everything ((((Hug))))

Leave a comment:

Working...
X