No announcement yet.

The Passion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank-you Michelle. My husband said tonight he wanted us to see if before we take the boys. My oldest did see Saving Private Ryan with my husband. The younger one is the very sensitive one, esp. with me almost dying in Nov. with the asthma attack. He wants to put a baby moniter in my room and one in his so he can make sure I am still breathing. I guess we will see it first and then decide. I am anxious to hear from anyone who see's it first. Take Care.
    carly

Comment

I just returned from seeing the movie "The Passion of the Christ"--This next paragraph really sums it up--The film grabs you in the first five seconds, and never lets go. The brutality, humiliation, and gore are almost inconceivable - and still probably does not go far enough. The scourging alone seems to never end, and you cringe at the sound and splatter of every blow - no matter how steely your nerves. Unfortunately, my nerves are not that steely to start with. He went willingly, laying down His entirety for all. It is one thing for a soldier to die for his countrymen. It's something else entirely to think of even a common man dying for those who hate and wish to kill him. But this is no common man. This is the King of the Universe. The idea that anyone could or would have gone through such punishment is unthinkable - but this Man was completely innocent, completely holy - and paying the price for others. He screams as He is laid upon the cross, "Father, they don't know. They don't know..."
      Personally, I had to just close my eyes during some of the most brutal scenes to get through the movie. I did expect to see or hear more reaction from the audience than I did although you never know what is quietly going through the minds & hearts of the people that are sitting around you. The lack of audible & visible response though does tend to re-inforce my opinion that our modern world has been exposed to so much blood & violence with the entertainment media that I feel we have a much more emotionally hardened society which saddens me.
      I would recommend this movie to any adult, but just know it's a tough one to sit through if you're a "tender-touch". The movie will be worth it all if it just affects even one person enough to give their life to Christ and be prepared for eternity. Mel Gibson should definitely be given an "award" for this one. Speaking of Mel Gibson, I would like to retract and apologize for the preceding article I posted about him supposedly by Paul Harvey. I was informed by one of the ICN members that this article is an "Urban Legend," most of which is untrue, and anyone wishing to check it further can go to: http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/gibson.html or just use your search engine and type in Mel Gibson or Urban Legends and that will direct you.
      Sorry about passing along bad info--usually I go to the CIAC Hoax or Break the Chain pages and check out things before I forward or pass them along, but the one time I don't--guess what? :o
      I hope everyone had a good day and will have a good night's sleep. I hope to not have nightmares from the movie-- hat
      Carley

They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.---Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Carley--

Thanks so much for the input. My mom and I had a discussion about the movie, and I think based on my own beliefs, (catholic) the movie would be too terribly saddening to see. (I'm sure it's sad to anyone who sees it) But I don't know, I will have to think about this when it comes out on rental. It just breaks my heart. frown
        Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Some of the scenes from the movie looked pretty gruesome but I do intend to see it.

Comment

Carley,
            Thanks for the input on the movie!
            Like Mayray, I'm still going to see it. Hopefully Monday when hubby is going to take a vacation day and we can hopefully catch the matinee. (IC willing) blink
            Hugs and don't worry about the Paul Harvey thing. grouphug grouphug
            Tons of support,
            Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

Carley, do you think my 13 and 14 yr. old boys can see it? My husband wants us to see it first, but I don't think I could see it twice. I didn't really think that thing about Mel Gibson was true, because I had never heard him mention it. It's easy to fall for something, esp. if you think it can from Paul Harvey. Have a good night!
              carly

Comment

Carley,
                I would be hesitant to offer advice about your 13 & 14 yr. old sons seeing this movie. You would be the one to know how mature they are and their exposure and ability to handle a film this graphic. I definitely recommend it for all adults, even though it is so emotionally wrenching to see our Savior endure such torture, because I feel so many lives will be changed spiritually forever from seeing what He suffered and went through just because He loved us that much!!!
                Forgive me for not feeling that I can offer any advice on your question, but if I try putting myself in your position, I feel your husband is probably right about your seeing the film first and then you will be in a informed position to make a sound decision about your sons seeing it.
                Let me hear what you decide. Prayers going up for you as you make your decision. angel
                Carley

They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.---Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Carley,
                  I would be hesitant to offer advice about your 13 & 14 yr. old sons seeing this movie. You would be the one to know how mature they are and their exposure and ability to handle a film this graphic. I definitely recommend it for all adults, even though it is so emotionally wrenching to see our Savior endure such torture, because I feel so many lives will be changed spiritually forever from seeing what He suffered and went through just because He loved us that much!!!
                  Forgive me for not feeling that I can offer any advice on your question, but if I try putting myself in your position, I feel your husband is probably right about your seeing the film first and then you will be in a informed position to make a sound decision about your sons seeing it.
                  Let me hear what you decide. Prayers going up for you as you make your decision. angel
                  Carley

Comment

Carly,
                    Sorry my post appeared twice. I thought it didn't go through the first time I hit the Add Reply so then I hit the Add Reply button again--"Big Mistake", I see. Also sorry that I spelled your name incorrectly--
                    Have a good night and again may God bless & help you as you make your decision.
                    hat
                    Carley

Comment

Well I just found out that we won't get to see it here for about a week. All our cinemas (locally) are sold out through the 9th of March.
                      But that is sooo great for Gibson!
                      A lot of the bigger churches have been renting the whole theatre for viewing. And then going back to their church and having a discussion if people have questions.
                      Tons of support,
                      Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

there is a talk tonight and also tomorrow at local restaurants by some local churches. Unfortunately, I am home already for the night and tomorrow I have to work. Not to mention moving into the new house this weekend. BUT ~ I am taking time out to see it on Sunday afternoon at 4:30. By the looks of the theatre lines, we'll be getting there at 3:45! Michelle.

Comment

Here in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Canada, one of the smaller theatres has been totally booked up by one of the churches to the the new Mel Gibson flick The Passion of the Christ. Apparently this is a first in Yellowknife!

Arcticfox hi

Comment

I dont know if everyone is aware of this, but the film has english subtitle.
                            I promise not to laugh... if you promise not to cry

---------------------------------
                            Christine .....The GERMAN GIRL ( who can't spell )

Comment

Yes, Christine. I am glad you said something. I knew this, but my hubby dod not. It is in Aramaic and (I am not sure, maybe jewish) This is the actual tongue spoken at that time. Amazing, I think. Michelle

Comment

I thought this appropriate.

Subject: How To Forgive -- WOW

One day a while back, a man, his heart heavy with grief, was
                                walking in the woods. As he thought about his life this day, he knew
                                many things were not right. He thought about those who had lied about
                                him back when he had a job.

His thoughts turned to those who had stolen his things and cheated
                                him.

He remembered family that had passed on. His mind turned to the
                                illness he had that no one could cure. His very soul was filled with
                                anger, resentment and frustration.

Standing there this day, searching for answers he could not find,
                                knowing all else had failed him, he knelt at the base of an old oak
                                tree to seek the one he knew would always be there. And with tears in
                                his eyes, he prayed:

"Lord- You have done wonderful things for me in this life. You
                                have told me to do many things for you, and I happily obeyed. Today,
                                you have told me to forgive. I am sad, Lord, because I cannot. I
                                don't know how. It is not fair Lord. I didn't deserve these wrongs
                                that were done against me and I shouldn't have to forgive. As perfect
                                as your way is Lord, this one thing I cannot do, for I don't know how
                                to forgive. My anger is so deep Lord, I fear I may not hear you, but
                                I pray that you teach me to do this one thing I cannot do - Teach me
                                To Forgive."

As he knelt there in the quiet shade of that old oak tree, he felt
                                something fall onto his shoulder. He opened his eyes. Out of the
                                corner of one eye, he saw something red on his shirt.

He could not turn to see what it was because where the oak tree
                                had been was a large square piece of wood in the ground. He raised
                                his head and saw two feet held to the wood with a large spike through
                                them.

He raised his head more, and tears came to his eyes as he saw
                                Jesus hanging on a cross. He saw spikes in His hands, a gash in His
                                side, a torn and battered body, deep thorns sunk into His head.
                                Finally he saw the suffering and pain on His precious face. As their
                                eyes met, the man's tears turned to sobbing, and Jesus began to
                                speak.

"Have you ever told a lie?" He asked?
                                The man answered - "yes, Lord."

"Have you ever been given too much change and kept it?"
                                The man answered - " yes. Lord." And the man sobbed more and more.

"Have you ever taken something from work that wasn't yours?" Jesus
                                asked?
                                And the man answered - "yes, Lord."

"Have you ever sworn, using my Father's name in vain? "
                                The man, crying now, answered - "yes, Lord."

As Jesus asked many more times, "Have you ever"? The man's crying
                                became
                                uncontrollable, for he could only answer - "yes, Lord."

Then Jesus turned His head from one side to the other, and the man
                                felt something fall on his other shoulder. He looked and saw that it
                                was the blood of Jesus. When he looked back up, his eyes met those of
                                Jesus, and there was a look of love the man had never seen or known
                                before.

Jesus said, "I didn't deserve this either, but I forgive you."

It may be hard to see how you're going to get through something,
                                but when you look back in life, you realize how true this statement
                                is. Read the following first line slowly and let it sink in.

If God brings you to it - He will bring you through it.
                                Lord I love You and I need You, come into my heart, today. For
                                without You I can do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X