I adopted them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I adopted them

The two cats that were dropped off have stayed. I have been feeding them but have decided to make them my cats. Which is really strange. I never would have thought I would have cats for pets. Am really just a dog person. I bought my first ever cat liter box, cat liter (can not believe how expensive that stuff is), cat food dishes and the ever famous liter scouper. Almost forgot that too. Now will be the task of training them and me. Not sure if I can liter train them so they can be in the house or me for having them in the house without freaking out. I have a fear of cats which I know is stupid but I do have it. Not sure why. I don't know what to do about their shots. Not sure if they had them already and what all they need. I do know rabbies and the one for leukimeia but that's all. Does anyone have any cat information or tips they can share with me? Guess I am officially the crazy old cat lady. Now all I need is the rocking chair and shawl.

Actually all you have to do is to pick up the cat and set it down in the litter box --- that shows it where it is --- the cat will almost always go right back there to do its thing without any other training.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Yeah, litter box training is usually really easy. Scooping it out is the not fun part (I'm lucky b/c my dog has a taste for cat turds, so she eats them before I can scoop them out ) I have found though, for easy catbox cleaning line the bottom with a newspaper and then use the cat pan liners. Its so easy, just tie the sack and dump the papers! Have you named them yet?

Comment

Cats are indeed pretty easy to teach to use the box... I remember setting a cat down next to the box and showing him myself how to dig in the litter ... LOL He watched me like I was totally crazy but he got the hint and used it after that!!!
        Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Yup there all right, Cats are very easy to train, even when they are small, its like they just know what to do and where to go.. I just wish it was so easy for dogs...
          Hugs
          Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
          http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
          Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
          Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
          Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
          Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hi Waterflow, I always been afraid of cats. I get really nervous being around cats. When I was young my grandmother had wild cats and they were mean as ever.

My mother-in-law had a cat for awhile, this cat wasn't bad at all, but I never could stop that fears about being around cats.

Sounds like you already got attached to them, yep I can see you spoiling them too.

Just wanted to pop-in and say "HI".

Comment

Had no clue it was that easy to litter train a cat. Seems it will take longer to get them in the house then what I had thought. Put food down on the porch floor but she would not go in far enough so I could close the door. Of all times when I want her to come all the way in. Will give it a try again but think I will wait until she is sitting in front of the door. She came in yesterday with no problems.

Meme, that's funny. My dogs liked to eat deer doo and even roll in it. One time I had just cleaned them up from their rolling adventure. Let them go and they went right back into it all messy and stinky. Maybe your dog thinks he is earning his keep that way. You don't have to buy so much cat liter or spend time cleaning it out.

Trishann, I never had a cat attack me. That would make it even worse so I know how you feel. I was born with 3 fears. Needles, cats and walking over a bridge on the sidewalk.

Yupe, named them Patches and Garfield. Yes, I am a Garfield nut. He sort of looks like Garfield but doesn't eat like him. Patches has her head in her dish and all I can see are her ears. Garfield eats like a Queen. Slow and proper.

Comment

I have 5 cats and have had many over the years since I moved out of my parent's house. You might try leaving the door open for a while and put their food just within their site. They sound like they may be a bit feral which is going to make them leery of people. Or they may have been abused....any number of things.

You definately need to get their rabies shots at the very least because if you claim the cats are yours and they bite someone, they will put the cat to sleep if there is no proof of rabies vaccination.

Also, you can buy some "Pounce" treats and lure them in the house with those...or catnip. I've never seen a cat that didn't love a tub of some good catnip. Buy the kind that is in a little tub, open it up, and let them smell it outside. I bet they'll come in to munch on it.

It might take some time but they'll get to know and trust you eventually. You did a good thing by taking in those cats. I'm the queen of strays, and still have that dog that showed up when we were putting up our Christmas lights. She's part of the family now, and spoiled rotten!
                *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Waterflow you sound like my daughter when it comes to animals. My daughter has gerbils. She named one spike because his hair sticks up and the other digger because he digs all the time.

They are older how and one has inflammation infection. She thought it might had been cancer and would have to put it down. She cry so hard. Spike is having surgery today to drain out the fluid and is on antibotics. She is still stress out from this, she just loves those little things. She is such an animal lover. But I can understand, those little things caught my attention and they are so loveable.

Spike gets mad when he has to take the antibotics. You know that little thing has an attitude. It is like after the antibotics is given to him, he is like "Don't bother me, I am mad, you can touch me later and then I will be loveable. You just wouldn't believe they had an attitude.

You cats probably will too. You will get to know their personaility. Yep they will have their own thing going.

Hugs, Trishann

Comment

Oh Mary, how great! I love my kitties! I have but one now, but in the heyday, I had 6.

I love the scoopable litter too - I used to use the regular stuff, and I have a box upstairs and one in the basement - well, hauling a 25 pound bag of litter up 2 sets of stairs got really old. Especially the day I was carrying a brand new bag up the stairs and it ripped - all I could do was watch helplessly as it poured down the stairs, like a waterfall or a slinky!! LMAO!! Then all I could do was laugh - what else was I gonna do, lol. But I thank my lucky stars it was CLEAN litter, so could have been much much worse!!!

As the rest have said, patience is best with these in-their-own-time critters, lol. Sounds like you are already building up trust with them as it is!! And yep, the first time you take them to the vet, and can't answer the shot question, lol, they'll probably give them their healthy-cat rounds right then.

So, I guess we should get a couple rockers, cause I always teased I was going to be the crazy old cat lady on my street - my best friend and I decided we'd live together - me and my cats, her and her: guinea pigs, horses and Prairie Dogs.

Oh I had gerbils too! I loved mine, they are just so darned cute. Told hubby I wanted hamsters, lol. Why, I don't know, just they are cute too and I always wanted a Habitrail for them...lol.

Congrats on the new "babies", lol!!

P.S. I too am a Garfield fanatic, I really loved Nermal, lol - off to Abudabi he'd go.....
                    Hugs,
                    Tracey
                    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
                    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
                    IC dx'd Nov 2004
                    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
                    Possible IBS
                    Current IC Meds
                    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
                    Previous IC Meds taken:
                    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
                    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
                    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
                    Others:
                    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
                    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
                    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
                    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Hey Tracey, I'm not for sure what a habitrail is, but when my daughter first got the gerbils, she went all out and got a gerbil cage which was half plastic and half wire with tubes, it was so cute. The gerbil hate it. The draft was to much on them and they chew the plastic tubes up and hurt themselves chewing on the wires. Even the plastic bed hut, they chew it.

My daughter decide to buy an aquarium and you can buy a top mesh lid. Also you can buy clamps to keep the lit lock. She bought the plastic tubes that they can't chew and rearranged them inside the aquarium. She uses boxes for the bed and give them paper towel to make a bed, and paper plates, toliet paper rolls to chew on. She uses critter care bedding to cover the whole bottom of the aquuarium. Other stuff seems to give these little creature breathing problems.

You might already know all of this but I thought I would tell you just in case. We had no ideal about all of this stuff at first and my daughter wasted her money on all of things fanstany things.

Hugs, Trishann

Comment

Hey Waterflow how is Patches and Garfield doing? Did they finally come in the house or are they still shy about it?

Sending hugs, Trishann

Tracey, I forgot my daughter also put an wxercise wheel in it. She cut the back tip off of it and double tape it the the aquarium. They love it. They don't like the wire ones to well, but the plastic one that in not enclose. She buys the better one and tape it to the aquarium so it won't be so noisy.

My daughter want me to send you a picture of them, but I don't know now. So after she gets home from school, she will send you and Waterflow one.

Hugs, Trishann

Comment

Waterflow,
                          You are such a kind soul
                          I know those kitty cats just love you to pieces!!!

You are always doing the nicest things for people......I just love that you knit those little hats for the babies and now adopting those kitty cats......you are the best :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
                          Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Oh Trishann, mine loved the wheel!! LOL Gosh, this has started me thinking of how long ago it was when I had my gerbils - I was in 3rd grade! My first ones were the class pets I took home for summer and then, a few years later after I lost them (they passed away) I got some more. They are just so cute!

Yeah, a Habitrail (I think I am close on the spelling) is the whole cage out of plastic and you can buy all kinds of connector tubes and make a huge cage out of them by connecting them to other ones etc, my girlfriend had one for her hamster way-back-when and it was so cool,lol. Hubby isn't a big fan (way too funny) so, I guess I won't get my hamsters any time soon, lol.

I think the aquarium is the best way to go, my girlfriend has them for her Guinea pigs, and they work great. She also used one for her hedgehog when she had him. I can't help it I love all kinds of critters,lol. And do send pics of them, I am dying to see them now!!!

Hey Mary, how's the new adoptees?????
                            Hugs,
                            Tracey
                            How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
                            http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
                            IC dx'd Nov 2004
                            Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
                            Possible IBS
                            Current IC Meds
                            Vistaril 25mg in the evening
                            Previous IC Meds taken:
                            Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
                            Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
                            Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
                            Others:
                            Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
                            Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
                            Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
                            Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

I did not know how to make the pic smaller so if you follow the link you should see it, Trishann's daughter.

http://x2b.xanga.com/c6188a277933132.../z22395077.jpg
                              http://xfb.xanga.com/737d42f33123211.../z78613608.jpg
                              http://x82.xanga.com/9a0d53f36073311.../z78613513.jpg

These are my daughter's gerbils. Gray one is spike and the brown one is digger.
                              Tracey, I don't know if hamster chews on the tube or not. I just know the gerbil do. Have a nice day.

Hugs, Trishann

Comment

Working...
                              X