No announcement yet.

I adopted them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patches played for the first time tonight. Thought I would give it one more try. Took the ball I made on a string with cat nip and tossed it around. She actually played like the cats on tv. I was thinking too about the liter box. Maybe she was trained to go potty outside and never had one to use. I knew someone who had a cat trained to go outside.

You sure are lucky to have a vet like that. Good vets are hard to find. One vet we had took off without even telling us so when one of the dogs were sick and needed help no one was there. How is spike doing today?

Comment

You might be right about Patches. When we first got our dog, she was an outside dog. She was a shephard. I demanded her to stay outside but when the dog hurt her paws my husband got a RX saying that she has to be in the house for couple of weeks. Well that was the end of it, she was a house dog from then on. I still tease my husband about it because he want the dog in the house anyway. But to the point, we never did train her to go outside and not in the house. She automatic went to the door wanted out. She was still young too. Maybe Patches is just like that too. You just might be right about it.

Spike is doing somewhat ok. He gets out and plays alittle and sleep alot. These little gerbil only suppose to live to 3 to 4 year, and we had them for almost 3 years. They are getting older, so maybe that is why. But I am glad to see him out playing at least alittle and I saw him eating some. So hope all is well.

Hugs, Trishann

Comment

Hey there Mary! I just remembered that I had a girfriend who had a cat that would ONLY go outside, it didn't want to go inside, lol. Took her a little time, but she got him to actually do both since she kept him inside all the time eventually. He'd paw at the door and want to go outside and "do his business" then come back in, lol!!!

Trishann, I am so glad to hear Spike is pepping up a little bit! YAY!! I think that you're right, I am sure age is playing a role - when I had my kitty knocked out to have tooth removed, she had a bit more coughing later from the anesthesia than I thought she should have, so the vet had me bring her in for some kind of shot cause he said at her age (20-something) it would take longer to bounce back from it. Do keep us posted!!!!! (and give him some extra treats and kisses too!! )
        Last edited by traceann; 03-09-2007, 04:51 AM.
        Hugs,
        Tracey
        How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
        IC dx'd Nov 2004
        Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
        Possible IBS
        Current IC Meds
        Vistaril 25mg in the evening
        Previous IC Meds taken:
        Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
        Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
        Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
        Others:
        Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
        Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
        Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
        Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

wow I missed this post.. How nice of you to take in the kittys...
          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

If you have a cat who won't use a litter box, sometimes if you mix kitty litter with some dirt, that will work. Then each time you change the litter, use less dirt. Over a few weeks, the cat will become accustomed to the litter and use it.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thats a great idea Donna.
              *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
              *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
              *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Patches is in on the porch and I can not get her to go outside. Tonight I decided to close the inside door instead of trying to close the storm door. I did that while she was eating. She was fine. She ate, played, walked around, ate, played walked around and after 1/2 hour I told her she would have to go back out because I had to get dishes done and I had wanted to take a bath. I opened the door, she stood at the doorway, looked outside, looked up at me, looked outside, looked up at me and turned around and walked back inside. I did this 3 times and each time she wouldn't go out so I filled her liter box up half full. Not sure how full it has to be and I told her she is to use the liter box and do not go potty on the carpet. I'm sure she understands me. I put a night light out there for her too. I had gone out and turned on the light so I could see and thought she would go bonkers but she didn't. She just sat there with the look of "I'm blind! I'm blind! Who turned on the light??". Maybe she was an inside cat after all. I just hope she does use the liter box. I looked out the door window to see what she was doing but I couldn't see her anywhere. I did put a box with a coat for her to sleep in and even put some cat nip in it hoping that would help to get her in there. She seems happy and purring away. Next step will be inside. Will have to quickly knit myself a shawl.

Comment

Patches used the liter box over night! :woohoo: :woohoo: She did kick some of it out on the floor (thought of you Tracey and your liter covered steppes ) Need to put plastic down. Now I get to have my first cleaning out the cat liter box experience. Maybe I should throw a party for Patches and I? Celebrate her using it and me cleaning it. One thing I noticed the porch doesn't smell like cat pee. Must be the cat liter with perfume keeps that from happening?

Comment

That wasn't so bad cleaning out the liter box. It was a whole lot easier then cleaning up after the dogs and I must say that clumping cat liter is the best invention since electricity. All I keep thinking about is the comercial where the woman falls off the roof and hangs from the down spout and cleans the liter box while hanging there. Do you think she will claw the furniture or flooring once she gets in the house? She hasn't done that on the porch. I really do think she was an inside cat and they threw her out. I have no clue as to why. She doesn't eat much, uses the liter box and behaves. She doesn't go around attacking me. Now I will have to call tomorrow about shots and a check up. Forgot to do that last week. Wonder if they had her fixed so she couldn't have kittens?

Comment

YAY!!! Sounds like you have had tons of success!!Yippy!!!!!!! That is so fun and so exciting! I honestly don't know what I would do with out clumping litter, I'm with you - that stuff is the best invention! And it makes it soooo easy to keep the boxes clean (I have 2) to kitty's liking, lol. I think it says on the container how full to fill it, I know mine likes it pretty deep - and yep, they get a little wild sometimes in the digging and covering so it does end up on the floor. I keep wisk brooms at each box for that. And sometimes it gets into their toes so they unwittingly spread it around a bit too...LOL The new litters out there are great at odor control, then as long as you are vigilent in the scooping, it stays nice too!!

Maybe she snuck out of her previous owner's? I had one of mine do that - she got out on the night of my first wedding, and was gone for months. I was so worried - come to find out she went to my ex's first ex-wife's place! It was, after all, just a few blocks away and that was her first home, so yup, back she went. Then finally when it got cold out the ex decided to finally let me know that she was ok and living down there, but it was getting too cold out and she couldn't stay outside (apparently didn't want to come in sometimes). I was so mad!!! She knew it was our cat...ugh. So hopefully no one was mean enough to toss Patches out - either way you are her kitty guardian angel!!!! She and Garfield are lucky to have you looking out for them!

The vet should be able to tell you if she's fixed or not etc - theoretically, lol. But they'll probably give her a round of shots since no one really knows for sure what she's had shot-wise, etc. Can probably look at her teeth and give you an age approximation too - nothing definite, just an educated guess, lol.

Keep us posted!!!!! Garfield up to his usual roaming tricks again???
                      Hugs,
                      Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                      IC dx'd Nov 2004
                      Possible IBS
                      Current IC Meds
                      Previous IC Meds taken:
                      Others:

Comment

I was thinking maybe the vet can scan her for a chip just to see if she did escape. Didn't think of the vet checking her teeth to see how old she was. She just walked past the window going down in back. Let her out because she doesn't seem to want to stay in during the day which is ok. Wasn't sure to let her stay in or stay out. Feel bad keeping her in. Dogs were so much easier. They barked when they wanted out. Oh, I am asking her if she wants to go "out" in a happy excited tone so maybe she will start to understand the word "out" like the dogs did. She doesn't get along with the neighbors black cat. I will hear them doing their hissing meowing attack cat sounds but so far no real fighting. I don't know if that cat is male or female.

You have a liter box for each cat? That sounds like a good idea. Proably keeps the mess down some.

Garfield is still roaming some where. hasn't been back yet.

Comment

You'd be surprised what they can learn, lol. The one I have now (I am down to one, and just kept the 2 box system since she was used to it) apparently recognizes the sound of my engine and will come downstairs and wait for me to come in.

My first kitty ever, I taught how to fetch. I did start when he was young, and I am sure I looked like a dufus on my hands and knees showing him what I meant and giving him lots of treats, lol. He loved to play with drinking straws - if you had a McDonald's cup with a straw you had to guard it, or he'd steal it right out of the lid!! LOL But that was his favorite fetch toy. I didn't keep up with it, and I should have as a few years later I'd say "fetch!"' and he looked at me like "ok, I know that should mean something to me, I think I am supposed to do something, but I don't know what", lol.

Well, hopefully Garfield will get tired of his wanderlust and come on home soon!!!
                          Hugs,
                          Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
                          IC dx'd Nov 2004
                          Possible IBS
                          Current IC Meds
                          Previous IC Meds taken:
                          Others:

Comment

I couldn't teach 3 of my dogs to fetch. They just were not into playing that way. They wanted to go for walks all the time dragging me behind them. Went out tonight and called Patches to come for her supper and be in for the night. Waited 15 minutes and no Patches. I figured since the weather is nice, hardly any snow she went back to her home or went on to another cat hotel. After I had been inside for 10 mintues she was out there waiting to come in. She walked in with no problems, went to her dish and started eating. Stopped to be petted, ate, petted and then she was too tired to do a real cat nip bath. She was ready to lay down on her blanket and sleep. She sure does stretch a lot. Does that mean something? Can you tell if a cat is going to have kittens? She is getting fatter but not fat fat but then she is eating since coming here. Still no Garfield. I don't think I will see him again. will keep his food dish for him now and if he doesn't come back I can use it for Patches water dish. You know I am really happy I get to clean out the liter box again tomorrow. When does the joy of cleaning it out end???

Comment

Working...
                            X