should cats stay inside for good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should cats stay inside for good?

I've been thinking about making Patches an inside cat. So far last two days on the porch have been fine with her. By keeping her inside I won't have to worry about the raccoons getting her. Some are the size of a lab dog. Or the foxes, puma and she can't eat my birds. I feel awful about keeping her in but was thinking I could fence in a small spot for her to get some outside air. Would I be cruel keeping her in?

my cats jim and creepy are indoor cats. They seem happy! We have tons of toys for them and give them lots of attention. We let them out once in a very great while, and them put them back inside before we leave or go to bed. Its mostly peace of mind for us!

Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

Comment

A lot of vets actually recommend keeping cats indoors for health reasons. Our 2 cats are always indoors - they've never known anything different and they both seem to be quite happy.
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

All 6 of my cats are indoors. They are happy heathy cats. They chase the birds from the windows lol. They have a whole box of toys and are happy loving kids.

Comment

My babies are indoor babies as well! But, when I was married the first time - my now ex, used to let them in and out. (The one I have now was originally my step-kitty) I put an end to that. Too many troubles with fleas, worms and earmites - oh my! Not to mention the other nasties they can get into - fights etc, roads....

At first Missy and her sister Cali complained a bit, but then Cali got stuck outside for that length of time and never ever wanted to go back out again! LMAO!! Never even tried to make a break for it when I opened the door like she used to, lol!!! And I have read indoor cats do live longer - like Kim said - it's better for their health etc. My oldest passed at 23....
          Hugs,
          Tracey
          How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
          IC dx'd Nov 2004
          Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
          Possible IBS
          Current IC Meds
          Vistaril 25mg in the evening
          Previous IC Meds taken:
          Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
          Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
          Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
          Others:
          Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
          Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
          Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
          Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

That's true! Cats will likely live over twice as long if you keep them indoors b/c of all the outside risks. And if she really hates it, you could always let her outside for a bit as long as you don't get her claws removed. I had a cat that we declawed and she was mean enough that she could still go outdoors and kick butt! She even beat up on our brittnay-spaniel! Don't know if you could fence in an area for her or not. Cats seem to be able to get out of anything. They also have these neat cushions that attach to your windows so kitty can sit up there and enjoy the sun.

Comment

Indoor Cats

I have 2 indoor cats. They have never been outside so they don't know what they are missing. We were contracted to keep our Maine Coons indoors and it's always been that way for 7 years.

A screened in porch may help your cat to adjust. If she is "fixed" it will be easier because she won't have the urge to mate.

Good Luck with Patches!

Kara
              Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
              http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Ok, I won't feel so bad with her in. She doesn't seem to play with toys. She's more into being petted. Her new favorite thing is to roll over on her back when she sees me coming and just lay there looking at me. I did get out the front door three times today. She did not try and dart out when I opened the door. I do not have to walk all the way on the other side of the house now to go anywhere. Sure was a messy walk through the wet grass. I've seen those window perch seats for cats. When I get her in the other room we have a very wide window ledge she will be able to sit on. Has a big picture window for her to look out as well. I found a nice item to use for her bed. Put in lots of blankets for her to roll up in. When she gets to the other room I will buy her a real pet bed. These items are all just for temp until I know she will do ok. I would never declaw her. That is to mean I think. I have a pet goose that someone else had and they clipped his wings so he couldn't fly. that is his only way of protection. Patches and I are learning as we go. Not sure if she is fixed. I'm waiting to see if anything happens since Garfield was a male. Poor Garfield is gone for good. He was pretty and fluffy kind. My sister had a cat that wasn't fixed and the cat had a period too. She would have to clean up the floor where ever the cat went. Will this happen with Patches too?

Comment

Tracey, I heard cats could live to be in their 20's. Sorry she passed. it's always hard to lose them.

Comment

We keep Paddington indoors all the time and have since we first got him at four months old. Like Kara, we signed a contract with his breeder saying we'd keep him in, but I was going to do so anyway. There are so many diseases and parasites out there, to say nothing of other animals, cars, etc. I want my baby to live long and happy without any of those dangers

He HAS dashed out the front door twice but I've caught him within twenty feet of the door... he did it the first two days I started back to work after my surgery. I seriously think he was angry that I wasn't going to be home with him anymore, and thought that escaping might be a good way to delay me, if not make me stay home the whole day!!! LOL
                    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I've never had a cat that had a period. They do calm down a lot though once they're fixed. When we brought Rosalita home after getting her fixed she was so out of it I laid her on the couch....bad idea...she tried to get up and rolled right off! I felt so bad. I hated to declaw her too, but she was killing my furniture. They keep their back claws so they still have some protection, although Rosie didn't need it! She hated everyone but me. I think that's why I like cats so much. If they let you pet them its b/c they really like you

Comment

That's funny; when we had Paddington fixed, we brought him to the vet in the morning, and picked him up after work that day so the vet could monitor his recovery for a while (that vet was excellent and I so miss her now that we've moved). Anyway, he was still out of it a little when we got him, and once home, he would just sit and sway a little and just kept purring and purring. LOL I guess he liked his pain meds
                        Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hey,

Like a few other posters, my cat is contracted by the breeder to be an inside only cat, although thats how I would have it anyway. Too many risks in my opinion having them outside.

That said, we walk Ruby (my siberian). She has a little harness and leash. She's so cute about it that she will go get the leash and sit by the door when she wants out. (Just like a dog!!) She NEVER makes a run for it since we started walking her. However, she is only a year old and has never known different. It might be a hard adjustment to bring outdoor cats in, but its probably worth it in the long run.

Comment

When I had my cat many years ago, she was mostly an inside kitty, but every once in awhile, she would venture on the front porch. Wouldn't go very far.

Comment

I was thinking about using a leash to walk her but thought cats were not leash trainable. Was it hard teaching her? Patches doesn't even have a collar so not sure she will let me put one on her.

Comment

Working...
                              X