The stray has heartworms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stray has heartworms!

I'm SO upset. The gorgeous stray we took in in December had her vet checkup Saturday. She's got heartworms. Apparently the treatment is painful and dangerous because the worms die, break into pieces and can cause the pulmonary arteries to clog up/clot. She could potentially die and has to be at the vets a minimum of 2 days. Then no, and I mean NO activity like running or playing for 5 weeks to keep the risk of clots down. I'm so worried for this dog. She's become a part of our family and I love her so much. She goes to the vet tomorrow. Megan has her neuro appt today and I am seeing my GP for a followup on my disaterous rheumy appt on Friday, so we're not able to get her there today.

The only good thing is she's not really showing symptoms, so she should be ok....but the thought of her getting these painful, extrememly painful injections makes me cry....and on top of that she was abandoned once, and I'm so afraid she's going to think we just left her there. I plan on visiting her on Wednesday.

What more can happen to my family? I'm scared for my daughter, my dog....Just in tears here.
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Oh Sandy! I am so sorry to hear that - let's keep positive thoughts, eh? We don't know totally for sure the extent of things yet. It will be ok - just keep that thought, ok????

Sending lots of hugs your family's way - give the furball a hug for me!!!

XOXO
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

She's been getting LOTS of hugs. She's so beautiful....I ought to find a new picture of her and post it. She's a different dog than what showed up here that December afternoon. I am SO angry that someone didn't take care of her and she wound up with heartworms...they're PREVENTABLE! It's much cheaper and easier to prevent them than it is to cure them...another 350.00 vet bill! Of course the $ isn't what bothers me so much, it's the fact that she was neglected, and she's the sweetest, most trusting dog I've ever seen.

*MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Sandy.. I am so sorry...

I would ask your vet just how bad does she have them, If its not to bad already then she has a very good chance of survival with the treatments..
        We had a dog that took the treatment and made a full recovery..Yes the treatments are hard on the dog, because they cant doing alot of running and playing, but with the treatments they really dont feel like it..
        But, I know this hurts, but without the treatments she will die from the heartworms..

I am so sorry you are having to go through this with her, It just makes me so mad that whoever owned her before could care less what happens to her..

Well hang in there and talk to your vet about the treatments to learn more..

Sending you (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
        Hugs
        Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
        Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
        Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
        Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
        Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

If you go to visit her at the vet's, she'll know you're going to be there for her. Those little guys do remember.

Warm hugs,
          Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks Ronda and Donna. I know she would eventually die without the treatment...thats why I'm so upset that the previous owners did nothing to prevent this. I don't know how in the world I'm going to keep her from playing for so long. I know she won't feel like it at first, but when she starts to feel better she's going to want to run, jump, chase the other dogs, etc. It's going to be a rough month or so!

Thanks for the support!

Comment

I know it will Sandy..
              God sent you that sweet dog for a reason, and now we know why, so you could save her life...You are such a wonderful person to have taken a stray in and given her a home, You will truly be blessed for this
              Hugs
              Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Diet Reference Sheet:

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
              Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
              Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

ok....now I'm gonna cry. Thank you...that was very sweet.

Comment

Your truly Welcome
                  Hugs
                  Ronda

Diet Reference Sheet:

Meds I have Tried:

Comment

((((((((((((Sandy)))))))))))))))
                    I hope you doggie is ok. Ihope you and your daughters appointments go well.
                    keep us posted.
                    how can you make a doggie stay calm for 5 weeks
                    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

oh No Sandy to hear this. Wishing her the best of luck, I know how much you all love her.

Comment

(((((HUGS))))) for Sandy and for her sweet dog. And let's not forget Megan. (((((HUGS)))))
                        Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:

Link to the IC Diet:
                        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Our family ended up with a stray a few years ago with the same situation. He wasn't that far along with the worms. He wasn't coughing, etc. I wasn't worried about him running around since I knew he would be getting over the treatment, I was just worried how I was going to keep my boys from being so "like boys" around him. It all worked out and he lived many years longer! So many people don't know what to do with dogs. I don't blame you for being upset, but I know I grew up with so many dogs and we never took them to the vet. Back then everyone knew everyone's dog in the neighborhood since they all had there little visits with the neighbors, etc. I had a Collie growing up and believe me, there was no keeping him in the back yard. He would either climb the gate or knew how to open the latch. He never had the first heartworm treatment. We just didn't know back then, so there are still people out there. Thank God that she found you!

T83

Comment

Tom is taking the day off tomorrow and we're going to drop her off first thing in the morning at the vet's. We are truly blessed with this vet. He's the same one that took care of my kitty with IC. Back then we were strapped for cash and he let us make payments on the cat....we just spent a LOT of money on their exams, their flea and heartworm preventative, and shots on Saturday, and now another 350-400 dollars coming up for this heartworm stuff. He said we could make payments again if we needed to. He's a great, caring guy and you can tell he adores our animals. Thank GOD for something, right?

So, I'll be a wreck tomorrow. I hate the thought of leaving her, but I do know she'll be in safe, qualified hands with him.

Thanks everyone...I sure am using up my supply of support from you guys lately!

Comment

Sandy.. You are so awsome!!.. I know your sweet dog will be ok.. She is so lucky to have stumbled on such a loving family...Most people would have just put her to sleep...
                              But even with all your problems with you and your daughter, you have took the time to help this lovely animal.. It just warms my heart to know there are people like you out there...
                              Hugs
                              Ronda

Diet Reference Sheet:

Meds I have Tried:

Comment

Working...
                              X