New Dog!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dog!!

I just welcomed a new family member into my home on St. Patrick's Day and I need suggestions for names!!!!! He is a black Labrador and he is about a year old; I was wondering whether I could post a link for a picture of him on the site. Does anyone know??? He was named Zeus but we want to change his name; he was abused and we are afraid that if we call him by his old name, (....like if we shout, "ZEUS!!!") he may have a flashback of being abused. I know...it sounds kind of sad. His previous owner lived in Vermont and was really cruel. He locked the poor dog in the basement (so the dog has separation anxiety), he didn't feed the dog all the time (so the dog is malnourished), and he hit him!!! Then the guy decided he didn't want the dog (after torturing him) and told a couple of people he was going to shoot the dog. Yes...I know...what a lovely man. Someone who knew the guy heard about his plans and basically said, "No, we are taking him," and fostered him for a bit and posted him on rescue site online...which is how we found him!!!

Anyways, now that he is with us he does not leave our sight. He can't stand being alone; when he is alone in a room, he howls and barks like a seal until someone opens the door (we have thought about naming him, "Seal"). We have tried to crate him three or four times after having him "bond" with the crate (for an example, we had him eat and rest in the crate) and each time he has escaped. My mom bought a new crate after the first time he escaped; that didn't help. If he wants someone's attention, he barks at them. This was all very stressful at first but there is one thing I LOVE about him; since he has separation anxiety, when I am flaring and sitting on the toilet all night, he will stay in the bathroom with me!!! I love it!! Hahaha. I get so lonely...I mean...my cat won't even stay in the bathroom with me.

Anyways, I thought that was a sweet little story. Does any of that give you ideas for names??? My family has already suggested Seal, Bucket, Hammer, Buoy, Duncan, Angus, Caliber, Barton, El Diablo, and few others. Does anyone like any of those??? All opinions, comments, and suggestions are welcome!!
    Last edited by tbn; 03-27-2007, 07:12 PM.
    IC Awareness

how wonderful!!! i have a yellow lab and i could not live without him.that is such a wonderful story.before my yellow lab we had a black lab,who also had separation anxiety,his name was ozzy!!! so i am kinda stuck on ozzy for a black lab,lol.when i was a kid we had a black lab named ebony.(can you tell i am a lab fan?)i love all your names too.thats one of the best parts is finding the perfect name to fit your dog.enjoy him,i can tell he has a wonderful home now.

Comment

How about Lucky, since he's been fortunate to find a much better home and family?

We had a yellow lab/husky mix that we'd gotten from the humane society. Although I'm not sure the particulars I think he must have been abused/neglected by his previous owner. Why do these people even own pets if they don't want to take care of them???? Anyway, the owner wound up having to spend a few years housed courtesy of the state (prison), so the dog went to the humane society. We eventually nicknamed him Dopey because although he was smart he acted dopey as all heck!

Congratulations on your new family member and have fun picking a name.

Comment

We have a black lab mix we got from the shelter a couple of years ago - I adore labs. Great dogs.

You might check out Cesar Milan's book - he's the Dog Whisperer. He might have some good tips for you.
        Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I like Angus --- you can always name him that and simply call him Gus if you want to. When he gets so he feels more secure, I do suggest taking him to obedience training. We had one dog we rescued from an abusive situation and taking her to obedience school was the best thing we ever did for her. Not only did she learn good manners, it really helped with bonding. We also renamed her from "Flash" to "Sasha."

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I had a black lab from a puppy. He grew to weigh 120 pounds and I called him midnight. I know not very exciting but he seemed to like it.

Comment

I'm so happy to hear of another story about taking in an abused dog. My dalmation was abused. I got him when he was only 12 weeks old, these people didn't even give him a chance to grow into a well behaved dog. He was afraid of lighters, just HOLDING a lighter and he would run. He ran when he heard the water come on, if you held up a magazine or book to read it. No telling what these people did to that dog. He's still a little on the afraid side, but he's one of my babies.

Big hugs to you for doing this. I think you're a wonderful person for taking this dog!
              *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
              *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
              *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

ps...most of my animals have people names...Emmy (cat), Allie
                (cat) , Zoe (Australian Shepherd), Bailey (the stray Husky/Shepherd Mix), and the dalmation is the oddball with Bandit. We also have Rotten(cat) and Fatty (aka Fat Ass)--cat, LOL. Oh, and Nuisance the cat!!! I'm fresh outta good names for dogs right now but I'm sure I'll come up with one.
                *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

We had a black lab and named it Magic.... her full name was Mirandas Black Magic... She was one of the best dogs we ever had.
                  Hugs
                  Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                  http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                  http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                  Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                  Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                  Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                  Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

How about Raven!

Comment

My maltese was abadoned and abused too. She has really bad separation anxiety because she was bounced from home to home for so long. She also cowers anytime you walk up to her. She's getting a little better about it. She's not afraid of me that's for sure-LOL! It doesn't matter what I try to tell her she never obeys me, unless I say "treat", then she knows! As for the names, I usually pick really unusual ones. (Meme had already had her name changed twice so I kept it and just spelt it different) My old cats' names were Senorita Rosalita Chaquita Banana, Delvina Velveeta 2% Cream Cheese (she was mainly white and had orange on just her ears and tail-that's why the 2%), and Sweet Potato Pie (she came on Thanksgiving, now she just goes by Tater). They were my faves so they got long names. Everyone else here is a Hank, Roy, Bruce or George. I like people names too. Lost my creativity lately though. Somehow I ended up with a Tiger, Itty, Teeny, and Scaredy Cat. Real Original I know!

Comment

Working...
                      X