What are you feeding your pets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you feeding your pets?

We've been afraid to buy more dog food that contains gluten --- and finally found some without. We found it at a natural food pet store; expensive, but we'll be using it at least for a while. And I went to the internet and searched for recipes for pet treats and actually made dog biscuits for our Meggie. The only problem is that she loves them. Looks like I'll be making her treats from now on.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Oh, my daughter made home-made treats once! They were too popular; the dogs started begging for them. They only wanted the treats, and weren't eating as much of their regular food. So, no more home-made treats for them.

We have always given our dogs dry food only. We called our vet to double-check, and they promised us that only wet food is affected. Because one of them has a hip problem, we were advised to find a food with glucosomine/chondroiton. We now buy the Kirkland brand premium food at Costco. It is one of the most nutritious foods around, and it's not as expensive as most others. And it has poor Rusty's glucosamine. You can only get it in huge quantities, but we have two big dogs, so this is not a problem. We need huge quantities.

The other thing we do is put about a teaspoon of safflower oil on their food in the evenings. It's almost pure vitamin E, and it very much helps the dry skin they tend to get in the winter. The dogs love the oil; they love anything greasy. In the summers we have to close them in another room while we put sunscreen on, or they try to lick it off as we're applying it. Like, "Yum, Coppertone Sport, my favorite!" It's gross, but I think it's their natural instinct to seek out fats, to keep them warm in the wintertime.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I have only been giving Patches dry cat food as far as pet food goes. Then she gets canned salmon, tuna, I cook fish for her and she will have chicken too. I did get one can of liver patete. Didn't think she would eat the stuff but she loved it.

Comment

I few years ago I did a project for a class and compared commercial dog food to homemade and was amazed at the junk that's in commercial food. As I don't have the time to make food for myself let alone the dog, I found a dry commercial food, Natural Balance, that isn't too full of byproducts and preservatives. And once we switched to that food my dog's skin problems cleared up.

Comment

Wonder what they fed pets before they had pet foods?

Comment

We feed our dog Science Diet's sensitive skin formula (made him stop itching!) and the kitties get Science Diet for kittens. Both are dry.
            Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

We've always gone with dry food too. So far there's only one dry food effected --- I think they said it's a prescription one. We've been giving Meggie Science Diet, but we're switching to a non-wheat one at least for a while.

Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Great ideas. I have been mixing cooked rice, cooked chicken (cut small) and mashed carrots to feed a little bit morning and evening to our Chihuahua. I leave down Sience diet small bits for him to have anytime. He loves my concoction. I keep it in the fridge and warm it a little when I give it to him. There are suppose to be a number of pet foods that are safe but I don't trust them at all right now only because I think the companies just don't know if it is truely safe. OMG what if it got into baby foods or any human foods. What a mess!!!! Ziggy

Comment

I've been feeding some homemade food. What I do, is boil chicken and mix chicken, brown rice, green beans and pears (diced very small) and she LOVES it. She gets this for dinner, or an occasional scrambled egg with a little cheese (she's insanely spoiled!)

As far as breakfast and lunch go, I just switched to Purina Pro Plan. I like the fact that its made in the same facility without any outside/imported products (especially after this scare!) She seems to really like it and it was rated highly.

Gosh, this food scare is terrible and has me worried about everything I'm giving her.

Here's some info on dog food ratings:

How to grade your dog's food: Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product" , subtract 10 points
                  2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
                  3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
                  4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
                  5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (I.e. "ground brown rice",
                  "brewers rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
                  6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
                  7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
                  8) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points
                  9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
                  10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points
                  11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
                  12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
                  13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog is not allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
                  14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog is not allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
                  15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
                  2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
                  3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
                  4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
                  5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
                  6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
                  7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
                  8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points
                  9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
                  10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
                  11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
                  12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal"
                  as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
                  13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
                  14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

Score:
                  94-100+ = A 86-93 = B 78-85 = C 70-77 = D 69 and below = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored.

Dog Food scores:
                  Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
                  Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
                  Canidae / Score 112 A+
                  Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
                  Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
                  Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
                  Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
                  Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
                  Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
                  Foundations / Score 106 A+
                  Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B
                  Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
                  Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
                  Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
                  Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
                  Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
                  Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
                  Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
                  ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
                  Purina Beneful / Score 17 F
                  Purina Dog / Score 62 F
                  Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
                  Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
                  Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
                  Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
                  Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
                  Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
                  Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
                  Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

I hope that helps!
                  hugs,
                  Kara
                  Last edited by Kara Isabel; 04-03-2007, 05:44 AM.
                  Hugs and Wishes for Pain FREE days!!,
                  Kara

www.loveforearth.net ~reducing plastic waste one bag at a time~

Facebook: Kara Kaiser
                  Twitter: Love4Earth

Me and my Guccigirl... she helps me through those painful hours!

Comment

I feed my dogs the Diamond High Energy dry dog food.. I have tried others, but when I do my dogs coats seems dull, and they act like theyare starving to death.
                    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Hi Donna,

My dog is allergic to every thing going , I did have him on the Nutro Lamb & Rice diet and with all this scare of dog food recall ..
                      I change him over to Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken with Lamb and rice , has no wheat , soybeans, corn , animal fat added , poultry fat , by-products, sugar added, artificial preservatives added , salt and no sunflower oil ..
                      He seem to like it so far..
                      Thinking positive has got me through to another day!!

Comment

Sadie-Beneful Healthy Radiance
                        Jim & Creepy:Purina Indoor cat formula, Friskies wet food, and Hairball remedy over food once a week.

Erika

BTW sadie is sooooooooooo shiny!
                        IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
                        Interstim Since 5/25/07!
                        Birth Control

Comment

I feed my cat dry food -- Royal Canin Maine Coon #31 (breed specific nutrition -- large kibble to encourage a large cat to chew properly, contains glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate to help prevent hip dysplasia Maines can get, nutrients to maintain a full, shiny coat)

We were feeding the dog Purina Dog Chow Senior, but my husband wants to find something else.

They both used to get a teaspoon of wet food morning and night for a treat, but we have stopped that for the time being, until the poison problem is resolved.
                          Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                          *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                          *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                          *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Mine are on Purina pro plan with salmon, since our Golden is allergic to meat. They Brittanies are on Kibbles and Bits.

Comment

I feed my girls' Nutro Dry for Seniors.

Comment

Working...
                              X