Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary, don't take this the wrong way, but really, kittens are animals and have animal instincts that allow them to survive in the wild, with no crates, playpens, etc. They are really better off if you just close the door, keep the litter boxes (yes, BOXES, plural) in the room, and let them do as they please. Mama does a lot more than you think she does. They're not babies, they're kittens, and they'll do better with less, not more intervention from you. I am not saying this in an ugly way, it's just the way it is. I've had more litters of kittens than I can count. Yes, they'll get into things, but if you keep all the poisions, sharp objects, etc, out of the room that they're in, they'll be just fine.
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

I agree here, why do they have to be in a box, or play pen? Its been too many years since I had my cat, but when I had her, I let her roam around the house, and had her litter box in the bathroom - so she knew where it was. (in this case, you will need more than one, but cats are going to climb over the pens, or boxes or whatever you put them in, let them be free. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by waterflow View Post
        Angie, thanks! There is a ToyrUs store here but I haven't been in it since 1993. That sounds like it will work. They can't get their claws into plastic to climb out. Thanks again for letting me know.

I don't want them roaming around in the room until they are old enough for it and not get hurt and I know they are liter trained. I worry as if they were babies. I never let my neice walk by herself until she was 1 year old and then I held onto her shirt in the back. Afraid she would fall and hurt herself. Patches feeds them and cleans them but that is about it. She does make them mind at times. Exspecially after I've had them out playing and put them back into their prison. (that's what I call their nursery ) They keep crying wanting out and she'll finally say something to them and they settle down a sleep. Guess I am an over worried grandma. These are my first grandkittens.
        They actually won't be healthy all couped up like that. I don't want to be mean either, but it's the backyard breeders and all that coup them up in tiny pens and they get sick and don't have the muscle they need. They won't hurt themselves.

I have four eight week old kittens right now and they fell from about 8-9 ft. up. I don't recommend it, but they are all fine. They climb all over my beams in my ceiling and everything.

As to litter training? The mom cleans their bums until they get trained. They learn very early to go in the box. Like I said, I have four and they all go in the box. That's at 8 weeks old. I'm going to get more than one litter box, but they do all use it.
        http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

I'm going to be honest because it's actually starting to make me feel like I'm going to cry thinking about it. I deleted the rest of my post because you just have a big heart.
          http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

I made a big area for them to play in. I let them out 3 times a day for one hour to play. I have one really big box I cute holes in for them to run in and out of and two short thins boxes for them to play in. They run from one box into the other chassing each other. It looks like a horse race going on but instead of horses it's kittens. By then they are tired and ready for sleeping. I don't keep them penned up all the time. I just need something to keep them safe in when they out grow the box they are in now. One had already learned how to escape the place I had closed in for them to play in so I had to make the walls taller on one side. They are getting used to the liter box. They haven't had anymore accidents on the sheets on the floor. I do have to put them in the liter box sometimes because they just don't get their bottoms in far enough. I went with cut up paper instead of the cat liter or dirt.

Comment

not being a cat owner her, but going to go out on a limb, and agree with the other gals. Moonhear is right, if you do keep them cooped up they will not fully devlope their muscles. they diffently need more then an hour ton run, wrestle and play. We have a momma cat around here that has liters out side, but they are wild cats.. good luck
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

It's actually LESS safe to keep them penned up and not let them run in the room you set up for them. That's what we keep saying. I know you have a big heart and care about these babies, but keeping them in a box they can't get out of, when every fiber of their being tells them to climb, run, and play, isn't good for them, nor is it safe, and honestly, it's not as kind as you think it is. I know you want to protect them, but if your room is free of hazards, then the babies will be MUCH better off using their newfound skills to get in and out of a box that is cut low enough for them to climb out of when they want to. Mama kitty will watch them.
                *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

To compare me to one of the breeders who torture the animals is wrong. The kittens are happy and well cared for. They have never been stuffed into a box or crate that was too small. Plus the mother cat did not want them out running around the room either. Each time I moved them to something bigger she didn’t want it done. She would have kept them in the first small box forever. I made them their final “home” until they are liter trained. They can jump, run and even climb the stumps to sit on. It just is not fair to say I am a cruel person. How many people crate their dogs for the whole day when they go to work and say it keeps them safe? I don’t buy that. What about birds that are stuck in cages all their life. Even the goldfish I had when I was a kid got out to swim in the bathtub every other day so they weren’t kept in the fish tank all the time. How many people do that and I have never once flushed any down the toilet when they died. They were all properly buried outside. I’m really hurt by what has been said. The kittens are very happy. They are learning to use the liter boxes ( I do have more then one), eating and even drinking water now and they even will come over to me to play. I might not know much about cats or kittens but I do know how to care for an animal the right way. I've been told and told over again how I am an evil person and satan in the flesh. Maybe I am but I am not a cruel person.

Comment

I think this subject has pretty well worn itself out. I am closing this thread and ask that it not be reopened.

Donna
                    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                    X