Can't figure out what my dog is eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out what my dog is eating

I posted a month or two ago that my dog had an upset stomach. It went on for days. It ended up being the slightly different formula of food we got for him. He's been feeling better.

But, now he's getting sick once or twice a week. His stomach will be upset and he'll vomit once or twice in a day. Then he's perfectly fine. I think he's eating something in our backyard that we're missing. We keep an eye out for wild onions growing and stuff like that. Anyone have any suggestions? We live in Indiana.

He goes to the vet on Thursday for his shots (he's turning two on Monday!) and I'm going to talk to the vet about it, too, but I wanted to at least try and have some more solid ideas when I go in there.
    ~ Stacey

What about grass? I know some dogs eat grass to make themselves throw up if their tummies are upset. Our dog loves grass but it doesn't make her sick.

Comment

He does eat grass, but usually only after his stomach is upset anyway. Like if he gets sick, he often goes outside and starts munching on grass. Sometimes that will make him get sick again. Maybe he's eating it before and I'm just not realizing it.
      ~ Stacey

Comment

Dogs will eat grass when they have upset tummies. Then they throw up the grass.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I have heard that before. The Yorkie we had growing up did that. The only thing that concerns me is that he's doing it so often. At least once a week, but sometimes twice. LIke he got sick on Saturday evening and again yesterday. I'm wondering if maybe he just has an extra sensitive stomach or something. We don't feed him people food at all. He gets his dry dog food (Eukenuba) and an occasional treat. Some treats upset his stomach we know, so we avoid those and just stick with the ones that do OK for him.

Otherwise, though, he's feeling well and not overly lethargic or anything. ALready this morning we've played some ball because he has extra energy today.
          ~ Stacey

Comment

Hello!

Some dogs are prone to upset stomachs. Purebreeds especially! I would first gradually switch him over to a high quality lamb and rice dog food. This combination is traditionally made for dogs with sensitive systems. Dogs can be allergic to gluten and corn which is a major filler in dog foods that can make them vomit. Secondly, dogs are naturally scavengers and tend to eat lots of different kinds of things that make them puke, so a certain amount of vomiting is "normal". My dog eats our chickens poops for exapmle-gross! I would ask the vet for sure, but if hes not losing weight and still has a nice silky coat he should be ok. With all our animals, the vet tells us that a good indicator of total health is the quality of the fur/feathers Hope this helps!

Erika
            IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
            Interstim Since 5/25/07!
            Birth Control

Comment

IF a lamb and rice doesn't work they make food for sensitive stomachs. One of mine is on it. I would sure ask the vet.

Comment

I saw that Eukenuba now has a formula for sensitive stomachs. I will ask my vet about it when we go in on Thursday. He really does seem to be doing well otherwise. His coat is the same as usual and stuff, which sounds like that's a good sign.
                ~ Stacey

Comment

Stacey,

Good Luck with the Vet Visit on Thursday. I hope you get some answers and guidance as to treat and feed your loved one.

Kara
                  Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
                  http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

Comment

Stacey,
                    Your pic is soooo cute! I have a friend who used those Centricon things, in the ground, for treating termites. There was never any activity so there was no insecticide in them. But one of her dogs would dig them up and chew on them. Later the pup would be sick.

The vet said it would happen every time with anything 'plastic' made.

Needless to say she had the pest control people remove them from the backyard where her animals played.

I hope you and your vet find out what is going on soon.....hugs...
                    Tons of support,
                    Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

My German Shepard has a sensitive stomach. I found a pet food to feed her that is fairly low in preservatives and by-products and that helps quite a bit. Her stomach is upset much less often. The treats we give her are all-natural as well. If the vet doesn't think it's medical you may want to try an all-natural pet food.

Or I've known people to make their own dog food so they can control what's in it. I don't have the time to make food for myself, let alone the dog, but it's an option if you have the time and desire. There are articles and books that help determine what your specific breed of dog needs for proper nutrition.

Comment

PLastic, huh? I can't think of anything plastic he could be chewing on, but I'll check.

We do think he's the cutest ever, of course! Since that photo was taken his ears have grown out a bit more and so has his beard, which is even cuter. (Long story about how the groomer cut his ears down at Christmas.)

I may try making some of his treats and stuff. My MIL makes cookbooks and she actually just released ones for dogs! It's filled with all kinds of recipes for them. I may just take a Saturday afternoon and make a few things for him.

(Totally off topic, but my in-laws have Buckles' brother from the same litter. They're both featured in the cookbook - even on the cover. June 25 is their second birthday and my MIL is going to make them a doggie birthday cake! Should be a fun party! Last year we made them put on birthday hats and everything!)
                        ~ Stacey

Comment

So we just got back from the vet. The vet thinks that it's more like an acid reflux thing than something he's eating based on his symptoms and consistency of what he is throwing up. (Gross, I know.)

He gave us a pill to help with it that he'll take one half twice a day. Then we're also supposed to give him his food in two smaller portions rather than just letting him eat it all at once.

Hopefully that will all help. I'm glad that it ended up being something like that instead of something he was eating. We just couldn't figure out anything in our yard that would be hurting his stomach that much.
                          ~ Stacey

Comment

I hope the medicine does the trick! Take care..........
                            Tons of support,
                            Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for all your help with this. THe medicine seems to be helping and we're getting him used to eating two smaller amounts a day instead of the entire amount in the evening like he was. He's been feeling fine ever since, which is excellent. He turned 2 yesterday and my MIL made a doggie birthday cake. He loved it and had no problems with an upset stomach or anything. I was worried about him. We've had some difficult times and bad luck lately, so I was just sure it was something horrible wrong. (Jumping to conclusions again! ) Anyway, thanks you guys!
                              ~ Stacey

Comment

Working...
                              X