• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying2Cope
    replied
    Originally posted by cprice25 View Post
    Trying2cope,

I'm trying the MSM/glucosamine that you use. Being a geek I want to be sure I understand the dosage right. I bought the same brand as you. It's in horse pill form , not a capsule. The bottle says 2 pills = 1g gluc, 1g, msm. You take just 2 pills a day? That would 1g glucosamine per day. Somewhere in this thread I got the impression it was 2g per day (4 pills). Please tell me it's 2

Thanks,
    Carol
    I take one "horse pill" in the morning, and another in the afternoon. I don't take it with food, but I drink plenty of water with it. I guess that's 1,000 mg (1 gram) per day each of glucosamine and MSM. That seems to work for me. I supposed you could take more, but I follow the recommended dosage on the bottle.

Leave a comment:

• cprice25
    replied
    Trying2cope,

I'm trying the MSM/glucosamine that you use. Being a geek I want to be sure I understand the dosage right. I bought the same brand as you. It's in horse pill form , not a capsule. The bottle says 2 pills = 1g gluc, 1g, msm. You take just 2 pills a day? That would 1g glucosamine per day. Somewhere in this thread I got the impression it was 2g per day (4 pills). Please tell me it's 2

Thanks,
    Carol

Leave a comment:

• Trying2Cope
    replied
    Originally posted by Melanie R View Post
    Hi there,
    I am allergic to sulfa and I still decided to give the MSM with glucosamine a try. Well, I had the same reaction to the glucosamine as I did the sulfa. My throat swelled up and it was hard to breath. I don't eat shellfish, but I know my dad is allergic so I could be too. I guess I will just try a regular MSM. "Trying to Cope" do you think the glucosamine is essential for pain improvement and urgency relief???? I was really bummed that I had a problem with it
    The glucosamine is the substance which helps rebuild the damaged lining of the bladder. The MSM helps with the inflamation and pain. I also took quercitin (non citrus) because some have speculated that IC is an autoimmune disorder, and quercitin is chock full of bioflavinoids which help boost your body's immune system.

If you are allergic to sulfa drugs or shellfish, you must not take glucosamine. MSM is a source of sulfer for the body, but I am not sure if sulfa and sulfer have the same effects on the body. I am not a doctor or health professional.

Incidentally, I have read that the supplement SAMe has much the same effect on the body as glucosamine, so it may be possible for you to take that since you cannot take glucosamine. Just be sure to check the drug interraction and safety information on the package.

Leave a comment:

• Melanie R
    replied
    sulfa type reaction

Hi there,
    I am allergic to sulfa and I still decided to give the MSM with glucosamine a try. Well, I had the same reaction to the glucosamine as I did the sulfa. My throat swelled up and it was hard to breath. I don't eat shellfish, but I know my dad is allergic so I could be too. I guess I will just try a regular MSM. "Trying to Cope" do you think the glucosamine is essential for pain improvement and urgency relief???? I was really bummed that I had a problem with it

Leave a comment:

• GoldSeals
    replied
    no improvement

Im still taking the msm glucosamine, and quercetin.I really havent noticed an improvement yet.Everyone is different I guess.We all metabolize these supplements differently.
    GoldSeals

Leave a comment:

• Cure4Mommy
    replied
    Hello there everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and am earnestly looking for a way to help my mother.
    She's been suffering from IC for 14 years.
    14 years ago the doctors were even more lost about IC than they are now.
    So I'm sure you can all imagine how it was. They didn't know what the problem was or how to fix it.
    They did all kinds of wierd surgical procedures that just made things worse.
    The antibiotics that she took ruined her immune system aswell.
    I was too young to understand or even help her.
    But I decided that I can't just sit still and watch her suffer any longer.

As I read all the posts in this thread, I am truly hoping that the T2C method will help my mother as well.
    We're vegetarians so she won't be taking the glucosamine because of the shellfish.
    We'll be trying just the MSM and Quercetin.
    Thank you Trying2Cope for sharing your success with everyone. You have helped many of us.
    And hopefully my mother's long years of suffering will come to an end this time around.
    Fingers crossed! ^^*
    Last edited by Cure4Mommy; 07-30-2007, 08:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ginny
    replied
    I am on the supplements that were mentioned by Trying To Cope. I did see a difference but was not taking them regularly so it came back. My biggest problem is figuring out how to take all my meds, change my insulin pump, patch and supplements. I am going to write it all down on a chart. Hope that works.

Wanted to throw in one more supplement that was suggested by the owner of my health food store. Proteolytic Enzymes (3 in morning, 3 in eve). Will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone gotten the book "Along the Healing Path"??

Ginny

Leave a comment:

• terric
    replied
    HI Everyone!
    Thanks to "trying to cope" for posting all this information. I am a 45 year old female with what I would call mild IC (after reading this board). I have frequency but usually only at night, occasional spasms and some urethtra irritation and pressure in the bladder, but not really pain.
    I was just diagnosed with IC after a cystoscopy. My urologist treated me with dmso while I was under. That was 2 days ago and I am currently taking an antibiotic as a cautionary step after the cystocopy. My md also gave me a script for enablex, but after reading this board and discussing it with his office, I have decided not to begin the enablex. I do not take any other perscription drugs other than the occasional pain releiver. I do take melatonin at bedtime.
    I am more interested in finding supplements and natural approaches to healing my bladder and this sounds like a great start.
    After an easy search online, I found the exact products mentioned taken by "trying" . I will begin them when they arrive in the mail.
    For right now, Im feeling pretty good. Last night was the first time in "many moons" that I slept through the night. I didnt have to "go" until 5:30 this morning...this is probably due to the dmso and cystoscopy.
    My hope is that by adding the msm,glucosamine and quercetin, my bladder will get better and heal. I"ll keep you posted.

Leave a comment:

• beckestr
    replied
    Just started taking Glucosamine/msm

Just started last night, and I notice a nice starting difference. Or its just my wishful thinking that this will help some more before tommorow, as I'm going to disney world. But I've noticed my ureatha isn't as irratated now, like it was before, and I've been in a major flare for the past 2 months, (started when I took this anti nasuea meds, when I was going through severe nausea for like 2 months, which is now gone which I'm very glad about)

I've read somewhere that L-Arginine helps the IC too, how good is that stuff? Can I take it along with glucosamine/msm for maximum relief? or should I wait and see how well glucosamine/msm works for me?

Thanks very much for putting your experiance with Glucosamine/msm on here, it has helped out a lot of people, may not be all of those with IC, but has helped out a lot still.

Leave a comment:

• Trying2Cope
    replied
    Originally posted by Donvar View Post
    I am male/29.I took same brands/same dosages of MSM/Glucosamine and quercitin as used by T2C and I was able to see the huge difference in a week.
    Then somehow I misunderstood a similar time occuring constipation for due to these and stopped both supplements and the symptoms came back with a bang.
    Now it has been a month I am on both of supplements again and I am not feeling any improvements.I dont know what to do now.

Anyone,Please suggest something.How to restart it ? Should I increase the dosage ?
    Hi Donvar,

The same thing happened to me when I tried to stop taking the supplements. Try going back on your pain meds (if you have any) for awhile until you see some relief, but keep taking the supplements. My theory is if your bladder is irritated and you're in pain, it's harder to get any relief from any meds or supplements. When your flare has calmed down, then stop the pain meds but keep taking the supplements. That seemed to work for me. Also, if I accidentally eat something with MSG I tend to flare and have to take something for pain, and the flare usually goes away.

Leave a comment:

• Donvar
    replied
    Restarting MSM/Glucosamine

I am male/29.I took same brands/same dosages of MSM/Glucosamine and quercitin as used by T2C and I was able to see the huge difference in a week.
    Then somehow I misunderstood a similar time occuring constipation for due to these and stopped both supplements and the symptoms came back with a bang.
    Now it has been a month I am on both of supplements again and I am not feeling any improvements.I dont know what to do now.

Anyone,Please suggest something.How to restart it ? Should I increase the dosage ?

Leave a comment:

• ericagrnt
    replied
    its working!!!

I was diagnosed with IC 6 months after symptoms. When I was diagnosed, I could barely walk or stand more than 5 minutes without feeling like I had to pee. My gyno recommended a hysterectomy (for endo) and I had that done in May 07. Still having problems after surgery and I joined the ICN I read trying to cope's post and went out and got MSM and quecertin I couldn't get gloucosamine because I am allergic to shellfish. It is working, Ihave been drinking and eating everything. the only thing that has seemed to bother me is energy drinks. I got my MSM at eckerds (eckerd brand) and quercertin at natural food store the Now brand. I feel like I have my life back. I have not quit my other meds, I want to let the good times roll for a little while before I start messing with things!!!! thank you trying 2 cope!!!

Leave a comment:

• Waves
    replied
    Hi,

I'm glad for you that you have found success and relief! I'm very interested in the alternative route, but became somewhat sick from starting out with too many supplements. I noticed that your Quercetin says "non citrus" on the label, and mine does not . . . so maybe I need to take some of the supplements back to my naturopathic doctor and go over them more carefully! Thanks again for the posting.

Leave a comment:

• DEU
    replied
    I'm In!

Hi Everyone,

I am very encouraged to hear everyone's stories. I went and bought the Gluco/MSM and Quercetin yesterday and immediately started taking them. I figured it could not hurt and Elmiron doesn't seem appealing (although I have a very expensive bottle sitting in the medicine cabinet going to waste).

I know not everyone lives in the city, but Whole Foods Market has a few different brands to choose from for both products.

In four weeks, I hope to report good news!

DEU

Leave a comment:

• Trying2Cope
    replied
    Originally posted by Zygala87 View Post
    Where are you getting MSM, Glucosamine, and Quercetin ? On line, health food store? Should the MSM be freezed dried? I have so many questions and feel lost. Maybe Trying2cope could tell us what he took and where he got it and how many mg's he used? Ziggy
    The T2C Solution? Hehehe...I guess I really started something, but I can't take the credit. Veterinarians have been giving this stuff to cats with IC for years.

As for dosages, I am taking 1,000 mg of MSM/Glucosamine two times a day. If you search back through this thread, you will find a message I posted which has links to the exact same brand that I am taking. I'm not saying you have to take exactly the same thing, but this is what is working for me. I have not taken quercitin in 2 or 3 months and have not noticed any difference (no return of symptoms).

I did have a flare over the weekend, but I had not taken my MSM/Glucosamine in more than a week (I ran out, and could not get to the health food store before it closed all week. I finally got some over the weekend), so I definately need to stay on the MSM/Glucosamine to remain symptom-free. After taking two doses, my pain went away.

In my case, I only had to take it for about a month before I noticed relief from my IC symptoms. If you are taking it for 2 or 3 months and are not noticing any difference, it may not work for you. Some people who are allergic to sulfa or shellfish may have a problem with the glucosamine.(I take glucosamine sulfate). In fact, I believe the glucosamine sulfate form of glucosamine is the one which is most effective, because the sulfer supposedly has an analgesic and anti-inflamatory effect on the lining of the bladder (according to research I have done online). So, if you are taking other forms of glucosamine and not seeing any relief, this COULD be the reason why. Please keep in mind, I am NOT a doctor or health professional.

Good luck! It's great to read the success stories!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X