Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relief of IC,does it mean IBS relief too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief of IC,does it mean IBS relief too?

For those who have sucess with their IC treatment and have IBS,will the relief of IC also give IBS relief?

THANKS!!!

I would like to know.

Comment

Actually, it seems to work the opposite way for me. Relief of my IBS/constipation symptoms helps my IC. Constipation is one of the triggers for my bladder pain.

Pelvic floor physical therapy has helped symptoms in both my IC & IBS.
      Combining soluble & insoluble fiber in my meals helps greatly with constipation. (Example: I eat salad (insoluble fiber) only if I have steamed vegetables (soluble fiber) & rice with it.)

And yes, I don't know why, but if I get a cold or flu, my IC symptoms go down. Maybe the extra bed rest? Lowered immune response since the immune system is strained already? No one's been able to give me an answer on this one...
      I thought it might be the Mucinex for awhile, so I went on that for 2 weeks without having a cold--nope, that wasn't it...

Hope you get some interesting answers..
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I have the diarrhea-type IBS, and i find that certain things give me relief of both problems at the same time. It's mainly noticeable with Prelief (neutralizes acid), and diphenhydramine (in Tyleonol PM and other antihistamine preparations). The main thing to remember with antihistamines is they are very dehydrating, so it's important to keep drinking lots of water.

Caffeine and other acidic things irritate both my bowel and bladder, so it's obvious why Prelief works, but i'm not yet sure why diphenhydramine helps - maybe suppresses some anti-inflammatory process, autoimmunity or allergic reaction. I really don't care why it works, just relieved that it does!

~lyndal~
        I'm sick of being sick. Fed up with all this autoimmunity/allergies stuff: migraines, eustachian tube dysfunction, asthma, peripheral neuropathy with polyneuritis, Raynaud's disease, acne rosacea, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, IBS (diarrhea type), IC, one deformed kidney, Von Willebrand Disease (a bleeding disorder), drug allergies, food intolerances, life intolerance! And besides all that, i'm missing my tonsils, my gallbladder, my uterus and ovaries... and probably a gazillion brain cells

Comment

Originally posted by kadi View Post
          Actually, it seems to work the opposite way for me. Relief of my IBS/constipation symptoms helps my IC. Constipation is one of the triggers for my bladder pain.

Pelvic floor physical therapy has helped symptoms in both my IC & IBS.
          Combining soluble & insoluble fiber in my meals helps greatly with constipation. (Example: I eat salad (insoluble fiber) only if I have steamed vegetables (soluble fiber) & rice with it.)

And yes, I don't know why, but if I get a cold or flu, my IC symptoms go down. Maybe the extra bed rest? Lowered immune response since the immune system is strained already? No one's been able to give me an answer on this one...
          I thought it might be the Mucinex for awhile, so I went on that for 2 weeks without having a cold--nope, that wasn't it...

Hope you get some interesting answers..
          I experience the same exact things as you. Relief of my IBS will usually relieve IC and especially vulvodynia symptoms.

Also, my IC symptoms are less when I have a cold or flu.

Comment

In my case the success I had with my remission, a few years ago (which lasted about 3 years) didn't help, or make worse, my IBS
            IC Live Journal

Comment

I have suffered with IBS since 1984, not dx'd with IC until 2004 although I believe I actually have had it most my life, first my ibs was diarehea then when IC was dx'd and started all these meds it went to constipation, would take Zelnorm about twice a week, until they pulled that from market, and if the constipation eased so did my ic, it is like the chicken and the egg, who knows. So now I take stool softners about 3 times a week, per doctor, and that helps relieve that pressure.

Comment

I've had IBS and IC since my early 20's (and I'm 51 now) I used to have IBS-D and then IBS-C and lots of my IBS was brought on my stress (thank you Ex husband! lol) Now I hardly ever have IBS symptoms. I attribute it to the fact that I finally listened to my dr.s and now eat 4-5 prunes with my breakfast every morning. They are Major fiber and now keep me normal....and that in turn helps my IC too! Constipation used to bring my IC on strong and cause flares that would last for weeks.

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
                Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
                Dx'd Hypothyroid
                Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
                June 2007
                Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
                First Cysto 1979
                First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
                Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
                Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
                Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
                Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
                Bladder surgery 2000
                Dx'd: IBS 2000
                Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
                Laminectomy 1989
                Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
                I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice, I have had IBS since I was about 9, diagnosed with IC at 19 (I also have endometriosis), and I struggle to find a balance b/w the things I can eat for the two.. I also have problems with elmiron, but I am too afraid to stop taking it bc of the pain. (But breaking them into water has helped significantly) I try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables for my ibs, but most of those hurt my ic, so maybe Ill try the prunes. Does anyone else struggle with these things?
                  Luckily, once I get one thing feeling better, it seems to all feel better.

Also, I know that sleep affects my pain and ibs a ton! I try to take naps whenever possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X