Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Note to self: next time don't freak out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capey
    replied
    Originally posted by izazen View Post
    Capey, you certainly have your hands full. My life is bland next to yours.

You are probably many years younger than I (66) am I right? Just cleaning my house and doing my exercise routine fills up my day. Along with about a zillion hours on the internet, of course!

I'm Irish American so what is wrong with your MIL? LOL! Too bossy and opinionated? I can relate to that!

Not hugely younger am 53 with a mental age of about 6 most of the time ha ha. Irish American....hmm, Ok I guess the American bit buys you an excuse, my MIL is a nightmare, I think there was something in the water in Ballycotton County Cork when she was born !!! She just loaths me and makes no pretence of liking me, in fact entertainlment for her is to call up my poor long suffereing husband and berate me down the phone to him....me I simply remove myself from the in laws - the aggravation is just not worth it. I am south African, so I tend to take critisism on the chin, we have been the brunt of so much agro for years and years that we tend to grow a thick skin. Luckily living in England, people here are hugely tolerent of differences so I just kinda fit right in, but Ireland is another story - sigh.
    Lucky for you to live in the USA. We view it as the land of Plenty - would love to live there myself, keep promising myself I am going to visit New England in the "fall" as you call it - it looks just to beautiful for words.

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    replied
    Capey, you certainly have your hands full. My life is bland next to yours.

You are probably many years younger than I (66) am I right? Just cleaning my house and doing my exercise routine fills up my day. Along with about a zillion hours on the internet, of course!

I'm Irish American so what is wrong with your MIL? LOL! Too bossy and opinionated? I can relate to that!

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    replied
    Thanks, Lonely Sole! Just speaking from the heart. I've been through heck over the past summer, fall and winter and a lot of it was due to stressing out and anxiety.

Sometimes I wish I could take a pill and just zone out but then I keep thinking about all those web sites with "side effects" and I think , Oh Lord - things could be worse.

Leave a comment:

• lonely sole
    replied
    Wonderful post izazen!

I am not a post menopausal woman, but there is invaluable information for IC'ers for all ages that you've listed...

Leave a comment:

• Capey
    replied
    Such wise words !!

This is sooo true, I find when I run around and get stressed I feel much worse. I leave for work at 06:30 in the morning and dont get home until 18:00 at night, rush around all day, fight with people on the phone, my boss is a bully of the first order, I hate my job and only do it because both my kids are students (aged 26 and 30 - who should be out working but arn't) and I look at my life as one huge stressball.......
    Added to that for the past 3 months we have been renovating a flat as an investment so every weekend was spent up to my eyeballs in plaster and copper piping, paint and newspapers, the weather has been foul and we have been short of cash (thanks to this new flat) - I live on a narrowboat and that inolves carrying a bucket of coal every time you want to light the fire, carrying cassetts and emptying them as this is the only form of loo, being frozen in over Christmas, having a monumental row with my revolting Irish mother in law who I swear has put some curse on me and I need to decide if I am going to commit to an Honours year at the Open University where I have been doing a part time degree for the past 5 years.

Anyone surpirsed I get a bit antsy now and again....wanna swap for a few weeks

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    replied
    I can't believe even after I wrote this "thesis" that I had a little backsliding last week. Don't know what caused it - could have been the tiny cup of coffee I was sneaking for a few days in a row, or a new herbal anxiety concoction my TCM doc came up with OR it might have been the rush, rushing I did that morning (went for daily run but added on to it at the end to make it to the movie theater for a 2:30 movie.)

All of a sudden when we got to the theater - I had to "go" - ok, no biggee but during the movie I had to go again and then after it again and on the way home again.

Uh oh! I knew what that looked like!

I tried HARD not to freak out! I recalled something I read that IC'rs either get the pain or the urge. I'm an "urge'r" and the only thing that gets rid of the urge for me is several hours of good sleep. A heating pad is good,too and both are ideal. So I went to bed early and got up the next day - no more coffee - and had a big cup of hot water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I tried to remain calm and do my running, yoga and meditating and, luckily, I haven't been bothered with Mr. Urge since then.
    I've been a little tweaky when I get anxious like when I'm out in a crowd but I'm doing better every day. I just have to remember to keep that lower abdomen loose.

I don't know what triggered it that day but maybe it was a good lesson for me not to be so over confident. No more coffee or crazy rushing! Slow and steady wins, too. One day at a time, girl!

Leave a comment:

• Deirdre
    replied
    very helpful post. I copied down some of what you wrote so I can remind myself when i start freaking out out later tonight when my poor husband gets home. For some reason when he comes in, I lose it. I look at him and think,"What is our life going to be??"

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    Capey, you're probably right about women in third world countries. They have a basic simple diet, most likely with no additives. Still I don't think I'd trade places with them, even if it meant I'd be cured of IC.

Leave a comment:

• Capey
    replied
    I got quite goosebumpy when I read your posting, you could be me....you even have a similar way of talking/writing to me, our stories are identical. I found that most of my problems went away when I was put on oral HRT, I had stopped it due to my mistguided overworked and disinterested doctor, and when I changed doctors he nearly had a fit and put me straight back on it, said HRT or hormones are responsible for keeping so much healthy down there. By the way I am in the UK not the USA and really envy you all the research and resources you do have. We are not too badly off, but our doctors still have a hard time accepting IC at all.
    You know I woule be prepared to bet that women in etheopia etc dont even get IC - want to know why....they are not pumped full of antibiotics, junk food, fizzy drinks, caffein etc...like we are. IC is a modern syndrome, because lets face it, we proberby put more rubbish into our systems than anyone has ever done in the past. Seems unfair that only some of us suffer the consequences, but hey ho, at least I have my looks
    Like you I prefer to go the holistic wayl, my sypmtoms are exactly like yours, can go for a month or more feeling absolutly fine, but let me try one thing off the IC diet and I am back in trouble, but then at least I know what causes it.
    My mantra is to make the most of the good days, and when the bad days come, just keep calm, and as our local army regiment say "Stand firm - Strike hard"

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    replied
    Its very frustrating that none of my same aged friends can relate to what I (we) go through. They look at me like I'm a nut if I describe my symptoms and feelings. Like its all in my head. Aaaarrghhh!!

My husband is the only one who understands what I've been through - that and the wonderful women on the ICN who have kept me sane many, many times.

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    Izazen, for whatever the reason, some women don't even have a clue except for the cessation of their monthly cycles. I don't know what it is that makes the difference. I don't like to think of having to use this cream for the rest of my life, but if I even drop to 1 mg. instead of the 2 mgs., I get a UTI.

Thanks for editing your post and adding those helpful ideas.

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    replied
    Thanks for the compliment! I went back in and went over it today to add some "goodies" I'd forgotten.

Tucker's mom- I could kick myself around the block and back for ever stopping that cream. I live in dread that one day I won't be able to get it!! I hate to be so dependent on it and wish there was an EFFECTIVE natural solution.

What I can't believe is all the women I know my same age or near it who DON'T have a problem "down there."

How come they are so lucky???

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    I am post-meno, too, and if I cut back on my dose of Estrace Cream, I get a UTI. My Uro told me that oral HRT will not usually be enough to keep everything healthy down there. Thank God for Estrace Cream.

I wonder what poor women in third world countries such as Ethiopia do if they have IC. My heart goes out to them. I am so thankful to live in the U.S.

Leave a comment:

• delfin
    replied
    Awesome post! Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• bob04951
    replied
    Glad to hear you can tolerate tofu. It is soy after all, which causes problems for many ICers. Good for you! Maybe too much of that instigates the flares. And don't care what anyone says, even postmenopausal gals get monthly symptoms sometimes. Our bodies are locked in such a rythym, and our minds are used to that "certain date" every month even years later. Have you tracked it to see if those flares do come then? Just a thought. Jill, wife of Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X