X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaryJo
    replied
    D-Mannose?

Where do you get D-Mannose and is it better to buy capsules or powder?
    Is it usually gotten local or just online?

Thanks, MaryJo

Leave a comment:

• AJ2011
    replied
    Interesting research

Just thought this might add to the discussion. It seems to be saying that if different types of cultures were carried out other than the standard ones at the onset of symptoms, bacterial infection would then show up. Basically, many people are not being diagnosed correctly with specific types of bacterial infections. It suggests
    "Have the antibacterial agents administered to patients with urinary symptoms at times when they have either a positive or an apparently negative urine culture altered the balance of the urethral commensal flora, selecting resistant bacteria which then invade the proximal urethra and/or the paraurethral tissues?"
    It makes sense to me because I have little history of UTIs or bladder problems generally,then one day I developed a mild case of standard cystitis (honeymoon, if you know what I mean), went to the surgery for drugs,did not even have a urine culture, then.. bam! Subsequent urine cultures upon second round of drugs showed negative (what a surprise).
    http://www.scitopics.com/Why_is_Urin...y_managed.html
    So then it makes sense why D-mannose may help some people if they have developed the IC in this way. It also explains why it's so important to look after your immune system and limit sugar intake, so your body can fight off these things.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    Thank you. I'm currently ok but had tried the dmannose a while back thinking a UTI was coming and ended up with the 'runs' instead. I also wanted to try it in case there were bacteria hiding somewhere that did not show up on a culture Unfortunately I believe I have a 'loose' intestinal system when it comes to supplements and medications.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof5
    replied
    Earthlady,hope you feel relief soon.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    Oh it figures it would just be me-lol If there are any weird side effects from anything I'm the one who would get them. Maybe I could cut the dose and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof5
    replied
    earthlady, i was taking one tsp. 4x a day when i started taking then went down to 3 then 2 times a day. I didn't have any side effects, so I guess it is different for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof5
    replied
    To i3luebyrd, I really think they might be onto something with this pocket in the lining thing because i have gotten a uti almost every month for a whole year. The D Mannose worked but after i started to lower my doses the pain came back. I ran out of Dmannose powder so I had to order more online. No one carries it where I live. I also take Glucosamine MSM,D-3,hydroxyzine, well butrin and prelief. Glucosamine is supposed to help rebuild the bladder lining.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    I had tried this a while back and ended up with severe diarrhea which I have since learned can be a side effect at high doses. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if that the dosage was just too high for me. I was taking 1 tsp 2x day. I don't take it on a regular basis but kept it around just in case a uti came up.

Leave a comment:

• i3luebyrd
    replied
    D Mannose is great for preventing bladder infections. There are a few actual medical studies done on it.

What it is: D-Mannose is a sugar (like sucrose or fructose) and actually tastes like sugar if you get it in powdered form. The molecules are "coarse" and the e-coli molecules prefer to bind to the D-Mannose than to the walls of your bladder. So, if you can imagine these little furry balls of D-Mannose bouncing around your bladder picking up stray e-coli molecules, and then you pee them out. It DOESN'T work if you have an infection that doesn't stem from e-coli bateria (99% of infections are from e-coli).

Some doctors think it helps IC because: there's a theory that IC patients have "pockets" in our GAG layer (bladder lining). I think it's pretty much known that the pain we experience is from our bladder lining (or lack thereof). So, if you can imagine these pockets in the badder that are trapping bateria. The bateria never makes it into a sample because they're sealed into the bladder wall (still *just* a theory). So, if we drink the D-Mannose we might permeate the pockets and folds of our dysfunctional bladders and pull out those trapped sources of bateria.

It's not a bad theory. Then again, it doesn't sound like a cure either. You pretty much have to keep taking the D-Mannose to make sure the bateria don't get trapped over and over again. Or fix the bladder wall eventually.

Just in case, I take D-Mannose capsules on a regular basis to prevent infection.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof5
    replied
    D mannose for uti

I started using d mannose for a uti 3 days ago and it is working I will take it for a couple more days then take one tsp. A day for maintenance. For me I think the ic and continued uti are caused by systemic yeast and too many antibiotics. I will also try using the marshmallow root tea because I heard that is soothing.

Leave a comment:

• starflight
    replied
    I'm a guy and I can tell you I just ordered some to give it a try. I also got some marshmallow tea along with it sooooo this is the first time I'll be attempting the use of these for IC. My pain is confined almost entirely to urinary pain and nothing has helped except drinking more water. According to chinese medicine weak kidney chi is the cause of this disease, idk if it's true but I found an chinese tea to help balance chi and when I do drink this I don't have a reaction so I'll continue using it.

I'm going to tell you I believe that IC is caused by a bacteria, or something like one. I'm not sure what else to say except I had a UTI when I was like 18 or so I don't recall exactly, I had it to long, then finally got treatment and it vanished but then returned shortly there-after only not as bad. I remember reading that the UTI merely weakend the bladder because it already had an inability to build the gag layer because of some cell or something so that also could be the reason I never noticed it until then. But I still believe these idiot urologists would find exactly what causes it if they only gave it serious research and not the BS they've been doing.

Imagine if everyone had IC? I bet you a million dollars if all those without IC had it then they'd take it seriously and a cure would be found in a month, or at least a better treatment.

I'll let you know how this works for me bye

Leave a comment:

• mommyof5
    replied
    Mrs.Mack, I am so happy you posted this. I have yeast issues along with uti almost every month. Frequently after intercourse.I was diagnosed with I.c. A year ago. Just ordered d mannose. Can't wait to see if it works for me. Very happy you are in remission.

Leave a comment:

• Jinny Jean
    replied
    MrsMack

Hey! I am so glad D mannose is working for you and everyone else using it. I have often wanted to try it, but I am afraid of flaring. Basecly I put as little in my body as I can pretty much JUST elmiron and the IC diet and I do ok.

My question, did you ever have flares before your period or during, or if you ate something acid? I have flares before (sometimes and sometimes not) and then on on my period have NO symptoms... I just dont understand that if it WAS a bacterial infection of any sort hiding or not that it could do this? I would think that if there was any bacteria at all that I would always have symptoms? Does any of this make sense?

I have been tested many times for bacteria and like you have always come out negative... I have even been tested for Ureaplasma too. (Never heard back what the results were). My Dr. has now ordered tests that are being sent away to a lab that ( I hope) will test for low grade hiding bacteria.I start peeing in a cup on mon and do that for three consecutive days, then send it away to a special lab. Has anyone else had a test like this?

Jenn

Leave a comment:

• MrsMack1985
    replied
    I love being told this. "You may not have IC"

Ok. Well, I was diagnosed via cysto/hydro, which showed that I had hunner's ulcers, and inflammation, and was told at that time I had "mild" IC.

I tried the antibiotic solution, short term, long term, IV, you name it. The scary fact is, some bacteria are able to survive any kind of antibiotic you can throw at them. (again, look up bacterial dormancy, very interesting.)

Please consider the information in my above posts, and ask yourself again, how many cases of IC are like mine?
    Last edited by MrsMack1985; 06-30-2011, 04:45 AM. Reason: Additional details.

Leave a comment:

• needsrelief
    replied
    MsMack1985

It is possible that you dont have IC. It is true that there is no "known cure" for IC. Maybe you do have a low grade infection. It may be hard to get rid. My gyn told me that she had some patients misdiagnosed with IC but who really ended had low grade UTI and she helped them get rid of it with long term anti-biotics. If you are not getting much help from your doctor. You may want to go to an infectious disease MD. Hopefully that is the case with you because IC never goes away hopefully there is a cure soon though. but an infection like what you may have can be treated. good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X