No announcement yet.

Ob/Gyn to treat IC?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ob/Gyn to treat IC?

    Just wondering if anyone else uses Gyn to manage IC? I have tried three different UROS in my area, two of whom are well regarded in IC circles on the East coast. I have lately been using GYN for IC issues. He has made a tremendous effort to learn about IC and treat it because, in his words, he was frustrated by the lack of empathy his patients were getting and how many of them were hopeless. He does Hydros and rescue installations if I need them. He is willing to RX meds and actually listens to my symptoms. My internist thinks I need a URO, am I alone in turning to my Gyn for help?


  • #2
    While I have a urologist that I like very much, it takes a very long time to get an appointment with him. My ob/gyn diagnosed my IC, and handles all of my meds. He was also the one who suggested I go get PT and researched a PT who was knowledgeable in PFD for me. He does instills, I know, but I have never needed them. I wouldn't be doing nearly as well as I am without my ob/gyn!
    Symtoms started July 2010.
    Severe pelvic floor pain only.

    2 time PT graduate!
    In medical remission since August 2011; able to eat and drink anything I want currently.

    IC meds:
    200 mg Elmiron in the morning
    100 mg Elmiron @ night
    Macrobid after intercourse

    03/11 07/11 01/12
    If at first you don't succeed: 07/26/2013!


    • #3
      My GYN is who treats me and others for bladder issues.He is in a group of 7 or 8 GYN"S and he handles all cases with bladder issues. He is very knowlegable and is the one that diagnosed me. The vagina and bladder are so connected in makes sense GYN"s would know a lot about it.


      • #4
        I wasn't happy with the treatment I got with the uros in my area, so I turned to my gyn to help me manage my IC, which he did by prescribing meds to control the symptoms. But he didn't go above and beyond to try and learn about it and additional ways to help me, such as rescue instills.

        It sounds like you have a keeper


        • #5
          OBGYN Doctor plus my family Doctor are the only medical persons I have ever used. One time saw a URO and when I asked about diet (I was new to all this) he said forget diet it has nothing to do with the bladder. Even back then I knew he was a dud so never went back. I do know there are many good Uro's but I just happen to be able to get by with what I have right now. Hug, Ziggy


          • #6
            About two months ago I went to a new Ob/gyn. for a pap. I off handedly mentioned my pelvic pain, urgency, frequency, incontinence, and allergy problems. He examined me and proceeded to talk about IC. Until then I had reconciled that there was nothing that could help me with my issues "down there". Now, I freely talk about IC. I am so blessed to have found a truly astute, sympathetic ob/gyn that treats my IC. There is hope. Become an advocate for your health. Take care.


            • #7
              I have a fantastic GYN and when I first starting having symptoms of my IC, they recommended the Potassium Sensitivity test for me as well as instillations. I'd read about using Elmiron in the instillations and so I asked about that. They told me, "Oh, no, that won't work. You have to take Elmiron 3 times a day so unless you want to drive to our offices 3 times per day to have it put in the instillations, that's not an option." WHAT??!?!?! They referred me to a urologist anyway just to make sure I didn't have kidney stones or anything and that's where my uro suggested that not only were Elmiron instillations an option, she was recommending I start with them right away. Unfortunately, this uro, whom I adored, moved to a different state last month and her replacement doesn't know much about IC. I made an appt. with my GYN for a pap, etc. and while there, asked him some IC questions. He'd never even HEARD of CystoProtek. So my point is, you can have a fabulous doctor in terms of bedside manner, expertise in certain areas, but even the "best" doctors sometimes aren't current on the latest information. I've found that sometimes I'm my own best advocate and working WITH the doctors, sharing information I have with them has worked out much better for me than just relying on whatever they may say and just leave things at that. I am happy you found a doctor that you can share with and feel comfortable with your treatment options!
              Diagnosed with IC in April 2011. Medications and IC treatments did not help, diagnosed with PFD in September of 2013. Still searching for answers as to why I have never-ending frequency/urgency issues.

              Current medications/treatments:
              Pelvic physical therapy, valium suppositories, b and o suppositories, acupuncture, probiotics, magnesium, epsom salt baths

              Previous medications/treatments:
              Elmiron, Hydroxizine, Elavil, VESIcare, Series of rescue instillations using Elmiron, water, lidocaine, & sodium bicarb and self-cathing with instills as needed, D-mannose, Glucosamine, Hyophen (generic Prosed), Colostrum, IC diet, PTNS, chiropractic treatments, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, CystoProtek


              • #8
                Yes, one must become an advocate for their own health. Even the very best doctors can not be knowledgeable in all areas. That is why I love to follow this forum for ideas to explore with my doctor. I also find it imperative to join a local support group to garner additional information that can potentially assist me and my doctor. I am known to ask a million questions and I am quite proactive in terms of my healthcare. Take care guys and have a peaceful day.
                Last edited by AnewLiz; 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM.