Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• julie grace
    replied
    This is such a good thread! its nice to hear about the positives. Ive been an ic sufferer for 22 years. My symptoms and flare ups have deminished considerably from a 10 in severity to a 2 or 3. Today i can go dancing.. i do ceroc dancing. I can go to movies and sit through them without discomfit. I still sit by the isle and the exit to minimise stress so i can slip out if i have to. But i havn't had to for ages. I teach violin and have a reasonable number of students. My lessons can last from half hour to an hour. So i can go in between if i have to. I can hold a feeling of urgency for ages! I can go for long walks. I have an enjoyable sex life. (ic used to interfere there too) I can go to shows and concerts. I play in a band. (fiddle player). I can drink coffee and alcohol in moderate amounts. I can go for long car drives. Usually i am in reletive comfort, but when i have a flare up it is manageable. This is a triumph due to a variety of self help tactics. I have tried the following..

osteopathy (aligns the spine... pelvic twist can hinder bladder function), physiotherapy for the bladder...bladder training and drinking water, kegal excercises to strengthen the voiding muscles, acupuncture, warm clay wraps...(very nice comforting treatment highly recommended) massages, diet modification, vitamen/mineral supplements, gone to a naturopath, practice meditation, yoga, deep slow breathing, herbal teas..mind over matter efforts, to plain ignoring the problem efforts. stress reduction. life management tactics... adopting a philosophical attitude...
    thanks for this thread and i wish you all good health
    julie

Leave a comment:

• rtnau
    replied
    Thank you so much...I'm new and in pain often as you can imagine. I see so many horror stories out here, and need to see that people do recover and have a life again. My world has been reduced to my home, my activities totally curtailed - I really miss my life and am hoping to return to it some day. Started Elmiron this week...Elavil next week, then antihistamines. Praying this works...

Leave a comment:

• ranshar2
    replied
    Surprise, surprise...the link was automatically given. lmao

Leave a comment:

• ranshar2
    replied
    Hi, Julie and everyone else...

You asked about the trip to Afghanistan. We (my husband, myself and several team members) will be leaving on April 30 and returning on May 12. We will be giving leadership training to representives of the Afghan Government. We are going as members of the "Memphis-Afghan Friendship Summit". You can go to www.mafsummit.org (sorry, I do not know how to give you a link to this site) to learn more about this group and it's mission.

This team has been invited by the Afghan Government to help them learn how to be productive leaders. Even though most of the team are from a church here in the Memphis area, we do not publicly speak as Christians. This is a mission of developing relationships with the Afghan people and leadership. They are very aware that we are Christians and are respectful of that. When asked questions, we respond.

My reason for going is to reach out to the Afghan Women and try to help them in their quest for Women's Rights.

Leave a comment:

• lwilke
    replied
    You ladies Rock!

You give me such encouragement when I read what you can do! Thanks!

Arcticfox hi

Leave a comment:

• Julie B
    replied
    Afganistan! Way to go Sharon.......that is amazing! How long will you be there and what will you be doing?

angel

Leave a comment:

• ranshar2
    replied
    Things I can do, now...

Shop till I drop...very important lmao
    Have fun with my husband...
    Ride in a car for longer than 30 minutes...
    Enjoy being with my friends...
    Enjoy Sunday School...
    Sit through a sermn at church...
    Walk on my Tread mill...
    Go to the Zoo...
    Go to see a movie and sit all the way through...

But the biggest thing I can do now...plan a Mission Trip to Afghanistan in early May. Yep, you heard me right...Afghanistan scream

Leave a comment:

• JAF
    replied
    Things I can do:
    I go fishing and boating, I like to hike and travel. I really do just about anything I want to. I just have to prepare, and if I have to pee behind a bush in the timber I do it. If I have to stop to pee when we travel, we stop. I enjoy life.

Leave a comment:

• jaime15
    replied
    Well, lucky me, we have been all over the place this weekend looking for a new toilet and shower. We are getting ready for this weekend.
    Total bathroom makeover. What fun, huh?
    But only one time I came running home to use the bathroom. That's so good for me, cause I've been in a flare for two weeks.
    Something I'm looking forward to is hot weather. I have finally taught myself to use the "woods" when we go out on the lake. I could always do it before being dx'ed then couldn't til last year. So I've been able to add that back into my lifestyle. We live for the water around here.
    I'm so glad you had a great time on your trip!
    Hugs! grouphug

Leave a comment:

• Julie B
    replied
    YES! Less stress, less pee!

I made it home this morning after a night on the plane. It was my only challenging day, with several trips up to the bathroom on the plane on the 8 hour flight. I finally dug into my bag for an extra vicodin and some pyridium. No apologies for making a little noise in the middle of the night. Jill was the one who taught me if I need meds take them, if I need to rest, rest.

I came home and we bubbled over with our stories.......then I took a 4 hour "nap" and only got up once to void.

Who else has good stuff they can do???? :-)

Leave a comment:

• buana1
    replied
    This is great Julie. It's so easy to focus on what we cannot do. And when I do this, I just feel worse.

What can I do? I now go hiking and love it. In the past I never would have attempted it....what would I do if I needed the bathroom?

It used to seem so difficult, but it isn't. I pee before I leave home. If there is a bathroom where I am hiking, I use it before I hit the trails. Then when I gotta go, I just find a rock and "go" behind it. At first I was embarrassed to tell my friends, but now they are looking for rocks for me.

Getting out and enjoying myself feels so good, and liberating. I think I actually need to pee less often when I'm not stresed about it.

Yes, I can do things where there is no bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• Britgal
    replied
    Hey great post Julie, very uplifting and I know you are having a great time, being able to do so many things, that you have not done in a while, way to go! keep on truckin, hugs Iris. hi hat

Leave a comment:

• Julie B
    replied
    People are asking me what I have done to get better.........hmmmm.....One thing I have found out over time is that IC is individual and the treatments are also. I do take medication, atarax is the mainstay, and I take one vicodin a night with an extended acting Tylenol.

What those do for me is get me a decent night's rest. I still get up 3-4 times, but not 20.....

And when I need to rest during the day, I do. It is hard sometimes, my husband will wonder how I can be perfectly fine one minute then falling asleep the next. I have given up trying to figure out the fatigue, it is what it is.

As Yvette said, it is important to pace yourself. In this post, I really don't want to focus on what I cannot do, because it is plenty. Then again, my diabetic patients have to watch what they eat, and arthritis patients can't climb mountains, and cancer patients can lose their hair during treatment.

Life changes all the time. This is our change. But I don't sleep on the bathroom floor anymore, and I can go shopping at the mall without making everyone crazy with bathroom stops.

Each moment of feeling good is a blessing.

Let me know how YOU are all doing? Are there other people who want to jump on this and tell people what they CAN do, instead of focusing on what they can't do?

On my way home now..........I will check this when I get back to Michigan! XOXOXOXOX

Leave a comment:

• gtg728
    replied
    Yeah Julie I am up doing laundry and looking out the window at 12" of N.C. snow. I was delighted to read your post! I have been diagnosed X 2 yrs,so your post was quite uplifting. I hope Hawaii was wonderful it sounds as though it was wonderful. It was soooo encouraging to read of the way you have regained some of your pre-IC life. grouphug Thanks for the post!!

Leave a comment:

• lwilke
    replied
    Hi Julie!

What a great message! I am so encouraged that I can do more, once I get the IC diet controlled.
    This weekend I am trying a recipe from the IC cookbook! I am so excited about that! Hope your having a great time in Hawaii! I have a friend who is visiting Hawaii too and I can't wait until she gets back to tell me about it!

Arcticfox hi

Leave a comment:

Working...
X