Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot baths feel so great, emotionally - why are they bad for us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot baths feel so great, emotionally - why are they bad for us?

Not scalding but hotter than warm.

Psychologically, they are so wonderful - just to bask in the heat for, say, 15 minutes.

Anyone able to tolerate them? I've been sneaking some in this past week but when I got out of the tub I felt a sudden urge frequency thing for hours later and that interrupted my sleep - hate that!

Of course the sudden urge could have been triggered by the 6 Aloe Vera capsules I just began taking yesterday ...

Thanks for any advice!

Hmmm. They're not bad at all usually. Some people have problems with the funny stuff they put in bath products, though? Did you put any high-preservative stuff in the water, maybe?
    Diagnosed with IC in 2005, PFD in 2016. My sister has had IC for 21 years and our mother over 30. 66 years of bladder fun combined!

Comment

I've seen much advice that they are to be avoided - as they can irritate inflamed tissue I assume. As long as they don't get too hot and you try to keep the water away from directly washing over the genital area....I'm going to try to stick with them until proven otherwise.

Comment

There are some instances when hot baths aren't okay --- I have an implanted pain pump and I need to avoid sitting in a tub of hot water because it might speed up the pump. If you have a dry skin problem or a pacemaker, I suggest checking with your doctor about how warm a bath is safe.

Donna
        Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I'd look into the 6 aloe vera capsules you took. If they're not from Desert Harvest, they might be irritating your bladder. It's always better when trying something new to start off slowly to see how you react to it. I take hot baths and they have not bothered my bladder. I've had IC for over 20 years. I find that watching my diet helps me the most. If I flare, I use a heating pad in the pubic area until things calm down.

Comment

I am just the opposite. I find that warm/hot baths help me when I'm flaring. However, I cannot tolerate any kind of bubble bath, etc.
            Jane
            Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
            10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
            Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
            Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
            Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Comment

I tend to do fine with hot baths. It might be the aloe vera pills? I’ve tried desert harvest and another brand and I could not tolerate either of them when I was flaring. I pretty much can’t tolerate much while I’m flaring!

Comment

Hot baths are my go to when I have horrible burning, stabbing, throbbing pain and when my pelvic area feels “stuck”. Sometimes I take 3 baths in a day if I’m having a really bad day! I literally just sink under the plain warm water and play on my phone til the water gets cold.

What (sort of) helps me: Combo of Hydroxyzine, Phenergan, Vaginal Valium, Tramadol, Pelvic Floor Physical therapy, the IC diet, Hot Chamomile and Epsom salt baths, and REST.

What didn't help or made me worse: Myrbetriq, Pyridium, Uribel, Zofran, Elavil, Antibiotics and Muscle Relaxers.

You can call me KB! Clearly I was having a good IC day combined with a good hair and makeup day.

-KB

Comment

I wonder if it could be depending on the water you use. If you have hard water and you don't have any system to soften it or filter it as it comes into your home possibly you are having more issues with the additional mineral deposits or whatever else is in the water. I know I have smelled chlorine when I turned on the tap before and I always assumed it was a time when the water treatment plant had recently done a new batch of cleaning the water. Also sometimes pipes in a house....either if it is old or if it has been exposed to issues then something from the pipes could be in the water and that comes out more when hotter water is going through the pipes than the cooler water. AND are you sanitizing and then rinsing the tub before you use it? I do not like hot water. I do it when my body has aches but I do not enjoy it psychologically. I instead have been using a sitz bath. I do fill the bag with the warmer water and put some in the basin and then put a little baking soda in the basin and make sure it has dissolved and as the water tends to get cooler then I release more water from the bag. I also have used the heating pad method mentioned above and once I got a washcloth as hot as I could handle it and actually applied it directly against my urethra and just held it there as I slept. It did relieve the pain. And I have been also using lidocaine gel from time to time, and I also keep it just in case some other office requires a urine sample and needs to cath me to get it so I can demand they use the numbing gel because not every place has it...even recovery areas for day surgery units when one of the requirements before you can leave is to empty the bladder. Being cathed at that time for me when they would not get any of the lidocaine to numb my urethra was so awful and traumatic.

Maybe there are adult size waterproof coverings for avoiding the water actually getting near the urethra, but the warmth can still help. Basically the same thing that you put on kids wearing cloth diapers. I know it's meant to hold in the leaks from a cloth diaper but I would think the same thing in adult sizes could be helpful for short term usage.

Good luck.

Comment

It's not a really good idea to get into hot water if it's hotter that about 102 or 103 without first talking with your medical professional. There are some instances when it just isn't safe.

Donna
                    Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                    X