Urologist is retiring. Need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urologist is retiring. Need suggestions

Just found out that my long time urologist Dr William Kerfoot is retiring. After seeing many doctors for my I.C. problems, he was the only one who took me seriously and provided mental and physical relief with this awful condition. Can anyone recommend a compassionate and I.C. knowledgeable doctor in the South Carolina area? Thanks everyone.

I'm sorry this happened to you. My Urologist just left. She had been a very good doctor and suddenly I got a call telling me she left the practice and that I would be getting a letter to tell me which doctor's I could choose from. When I got the letter it further explained no one else in the practice could treat IC and so I've just recently started seeing someone which means having to venture out into the Covid world and it's terrifying all around. Figuring out if the new doctor will be good or maybe better than my prior doctor.

If you don't mind sharing your general location it might help people give you suggestions. I personally am now in the Philadelphia area. If you are in a more rural or smaller town type area it's possible that there may not be someone familiar with IC, or at least that is very good about their treatment for it. Since there is rarely test results to justify the pain levels we feel many doctors that even do treat IC don't take the pain reports seriously. Some of it is to avoid opiod treatment and sometimes a lot of doctors just don't seem to understand how pain is different for so many people. You can be the type of person that takes pain that is a low throb in an extremity and not even bother taking medication for the pain. But a headache is overwhelming. Or burning sensation pain is much worse feeling than pain caused by soreness like getting a bruised rib or something.

I do hope you are getting some relief already but I thought I would offer a suggestion. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rantn.n.ravn View Post
      I'm sorry this happened to you. My Urologist just left. She had been a very good doctor and suddenly I got a call telling me she left the practice and that I would be getting a letter to tell me which doctor's I could choose from. When I got the letter it further explained no one else in the practice could treat IC and so I've just recently started seeing someone which means having to venture out into the Covid world and it's terrifying all around. Figuring out if the new doctor will be good or maybe better than my prior doctor.

If you don't mind sharing your general location it might help people give you suggestions. I personally am now in the Philadelphia area. If you are in a more rural or smaller town type area it's possible that there may not be someone familiar with IC, or at least that is very good about their treatment for it. Since there is rarely test results to justify the pain levels we feel many doctors that even do treat IC don't take the pain reports seriously. Some of it is to avoid opiod treatment and sometimes a lot of doctors just don't seem to understand how pain is different for so many people. You can be the type of person that takes pain that is a low throb in an extremity and not even bother taking medication for the pain. But a headache is overwhelming. Or burning sensation pain is much worse feeling than pain caused by soreness like getting a bruised rib or something.

I do hope you are getting some relief already but I thought I would offer a suggestion. Good luck.
      It's always hard to have to change doctors, especially in the world right now. In my 45 years with IC, I have seen two retire and one move to another state --- but the changes were before the Covid-19 era. I'm hoping things will calm down soon so we can get back to a normal world.

Donna
      Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
      X