Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First UTI in ten years

Hello friends, and long time no see.

There's probably a ton of new information about IC since the last time I was on. I just stay away from my food triggers and don't even think about it unless I'm seeing a new doctor or someone new is cooking for me.

Anyway, I just had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy with vaginal assist, including tubes and ovaries. ***(Warning: It gets graphic here)*** That means I had a Foley catheter in while they pulled my uterus, tubes, and ovaries out my vagina in one piece. Also, my bladder got a bit beaten up when they separated the uterus from it. ***(End graphic content)***

After the surgery, I was so focused on convalescence I didn't think about my bladder except to watch for burning or pain when emptying, which didn't happen. I realize now that my bladder was hurting, but I mistook it for postsurgical pain.

Fast forward three weeks and I noticed blood in my urine. Got a test at my surgeon's that registered way hot, got on bactrim, and am waiting for culture results Monday. I also got scared for my left kidney when I got flank pain, but then I remembered that's the pain I had when I was first diagnosed ten years ago.

My triggers are capsaicin, black pepper , artificial sweeteners, and some food additives, but I'm going to have to go back to square one and cut out citrus, other acids, and raw onions. Not sure what else. I haven't reviewed the list yet.

I'm mostly here for sympathy today. I got so spoiled in remission!

Thank you.
    Karin
    I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.
    Diagnosed with glomerulations, IC May 8, 2009
    Currently in remission
    Other Medications: Vitamin D3, pristiq, abilify, wellbutrin, Lipitor, propranolol (for tremor)
    Other Autoimmune: IBS

I’m so sorry your suffering. I know how you feel. I was in remission for 15yrs until this past November. I think anytime you have any type of surgery in the pelvis it flares up the IC. It’s basically all connected down there and with so many nerve endings it effects the bladder. It’s hard to be in remission for years and then have to deal with all the horrible symptoms of IC again. I know how you feel...I feel the same way. Your not alone .

Comment

Thank you!
      Karin
      I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.
      Currently in remission
      Other Medications: Vitamin D3, pristiq, abilify, wellbutrin, Lipitor, propranolol (for tremor)

Comment

Just remember --- you found remission before --- and you will again.

Donna
        Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Sending you gentle hugs!!! Your body has literally been through the wringer, hasn't it? I hope the culture comes back soon so you know you are being treated with the correct antibiotic. Sounds like you know what to do. I know it is tempting, but don't do any baking soda water or alkaline water when you have an infection. A more alkaline urine could allow the bacteria to thrive which is the exact opposite of what you want. Hope you recover soon so you can "disappear" again! <3
          Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
          IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
          IC Diet Website
          For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
          Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
          Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
          IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Thank you all so much for the good wishes.

The culture is back and I've been on the correct antibiotic, finishing tonight. The less good news is that my bladder is still sore and, as expected, I'm now OFF all of my regular little cheats such as very (very) weak coffee, club soda, and citrus, and some non-pepper but still harsh spices. I already stay away from capsaicin, black pepper, pineapple, and most artificial flavors/sweeteners.

And my poor husband who has been doing all the cooking for weeks (we usually alternate) will have to remember what he knew all those years ago. More likely he will run all his ingredients by me before cooking.

One thing I learned from coming back here is my "type" which is the central sensitization variety (violent childhood). I have acquired quite a few relaxation skills and quitting coffee will help, but I'm wishing right now that mild tranquilizers weren't so hard to get.

Thanks again for being here!

Karin
            Karin
            Currently in remission

Comment

Working...
            X