No announcement yet.

Jaw Trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out an article called "Haven't Got a Chew" at www.roadtoslainte.blogspot.com; it's written by a fabulous physical therapist that treats IC and TMJ patients. For symptoms and stress management go to www.slaintept.com.

You may also want to ask your healthcare provider if a Medrol-Pack could help you (it's a mild form of a steroid); you take it for a week. The inflammation and pain starts to go away almost instantaneously. Moreover, you can ask about the following:

1. a small plastic device that is worn in the mouth like a retainer that helps reposition the jaw so that tense jaw muscles can relax, thus easing jaw and headache pain;

2. physical therapy, including ultrasound, massage, and ``myofascial release," in which a therapist puts gentle pressure on the skin over the jaw muscle for about 10 minutes, until the muscle relaxes;

3. ice to help reduce pain and inflammation.

I suggest that you consult with your healthcare provider if you believe that the information above may be helpful; your healthcare provider will determine the appropriate treatment regimen for you.

Only your healthcare provider can determine if the above suggestions are appropriate treatment options for you; these are just some suggestions that you can discuss with him/her.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB

Comment

Tmj

I have had TMJ gor 16 years. mine is from grinding my teeth. Those nite gurds you get at the store can work really well. I had my dentist make on out of hard acrylic (it isn't really hard thay just call it that because it is thicker)
      for my bottom teeth instead of my top teeth. I love it. The one I had for the top teeth during allergy season reeked havoc on my sinuses. Btw/ my guard was only 150 and my top one was only 75, so you might try checking into differnt dentists for prices. Most dental plans won't cover guards or any type of appliances.
      Eva

Comment

Actually most insurances won't cover anything labeled "TMJ" --- mine covered the ultrasounds that showed my cartilage problem and because the problem was identified, it also covered my surgery.

My splint (guard) was for my upper teeth, but it didn't extend to the roof of my mouth so it was comfortable. After the surgery, I didn't need it for several years, but now I need to go get another. Unfortunately the dentist who ordered it for me has moved to another state so I'm not sure what to do now.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks for all the good information everyone!
          http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

Thats how mine is, The left side too. I try to eat an apple and i cant even bite into it. have to cut it up to pieces. Its weird how we all seem to have all the same weird things. I think its due to our stress and worries. I think we take it all to bed, and grind teeth.
            stacy

Current Conditions:
            Endometriosis,1995
            IC,Feb 06
            IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
            Stomach Ulcers
            Duodenitis
            Acid Reflux
            Low Blood Sugar
            Hypothyroid
            Migrains

Surgeries
            Laporoscopy-1995
            Gaul Bladder-1996
            Laporoscopy-2005
            colonoscopy2005
            cysto/hydro-2006
            cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
            Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
            Seasonique,1 night(helps control pain for Endo)Provera, 10mg 1 night
            Elavil, 150 1pm
            Flexeril, 10mg 1 night(was to be 1 am also but makes me to sleepy)
            Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
            Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
            Topamax 25mg 1am 2pmCyannobalamin(b12), 1 injection every 2 weeks
            Reglan, 10mg, 1 3xday with meals-for duonditis
            Ultram 50mg 1 every 4hrs as needed for pain
            Pyridim,100mg as needed
            Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain
            Heating pad
            Ice Pack
            Arthritis Pain Equate brand 650mg usualy 2 at a time
            Stool softeners w/stimuli, 2am 2pm[/COLOR]

Hopefuly no more gets added to the list!!!

I wish the best for all of you and hope the days with pain are few. I wish you peace and calmness... for we all need it, with out it... the pain is worse.
            Try to take the best care of you that you can. When you are not happy with the care you get dont hesitate to get the help you need. Sometimes a 2nd opinion can give the calm and peace which you are seeking.
            My prays go to all of you. For I know there are many who are have many bad days and need a shoulder.. Always remember this site, for its made a huge differance to me and many people. Here you can find the the ear your looking for when you just need to vent.
            When your not looking for Im so sorry and I have no idea what can help you. Here we understand the pains the suffereing and most of all the Constant frustration. For anyone who needs it.. I will do my best to be the ear who can listen and help how ever I can. All my best to all of you.
            Dont forget to take care of you!
            Take care

Comment

Mine got to the point last December when I couldn't chew much at all. It was bad and then got much worse the day my grandma died. Go figure. My family doc then suggested the guard. I had forgotten, though, that she also told me to use ice, which helped a lot. She had me taking ibuprofen at the prescription level as well. It seemed to help with my jaw inflammation and didn't seem to bother my bladder. My bladder was already flaring a bit from stress, though. Ibuprofen can make some of us flare.
              ~ Stacey

Comment

Working...
              X