Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stacey79
    replied
    Mine got to the point last December when I couldn't chew much at all. It was bad and then got much worse the day my grandma died. Go figure. My family doc then suggested the guard. I had forgotten, though, that she also told me to use ice, which helped a lot. She had me taking ibuprofen at the prescription level as well. It seemed to help with my jaw inflammation and didn't seem to bother my bladder. My bladder was already flaring a bit from stress, though. Ibuprofen can make some of us flare.

Leave a comment:

• stacyY
    replied
    Thats how mine is, The left side too. I try to eat an apple and i cant even bite into it. have to cut it up to pieces. Its weird how we all seem to have all the same weird things. I think its due to our stress and worries. I think we take it all to bed, and grind teeth.
    stacy

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    Thanks for all the good information everyone!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Actually most insurances won't cover anything labeled "TMJ" --- mine covered the ultrasounds that showed my cartilage problem and because the problem was identified, it also covered my surgery.

My splint (guard) was for my upper teeth, but it didn't extend to the roof of my mouth so it was comfortable. After the surgery, I didn't need it for several years, but now I need to go get another. Unfortunately the dentist who ordered it for me has moved to another state so I'm not sure what to do now.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Texas Baby
    replied
    Tmj

I have had TMJ gor 16 years. mine is from grinding my teeth. Those nite gurds you get at the store can work really well. I had my dentist make on out of hard acrylic (it isn't really hard thay just call it that because it is thicker)
    for my bottom teeth instead of my top teeth. I love it. The one I had for the top teeth during allergy season reeked havoc on my sinuses. Btw/ my guard was only 150 and my top one was only 75, so you might try checking into differnt dentists for prices. Most dental plans won't cover guards or any type of appliances.
    Eva

Leave a comment:

• ICB
    replied
    Check out an article called "Haven't Got a Chew" at www.roadtoslainte.blogspot.com; it's written by a fabulous physical therapist that treats IC and TMJ patients. For symptoms and stress management go to www.slaintept.com.

You may also want to ask your healthcare provider if a Medrol-Pack could help you (it's a mild form of a steroid); you take it for a week. The inflammation and pain starts to go away almost instantaneously. Moreover, you can ask about the following:

1. a small plastic device that is worn in the mouth like a retainer that helps reposition the jaw so that tense jaw muscles can relax, thus easing jaw and headache pain;

2. physical therapy, including ultrasound, massage, and ``myofascial release," in which a therapist puts gentle pressure on the skin over the jaw muscle for about 10 minutes, until the muscle relaxes;

3. ice to help reduce pain and inflammation.

I suggest that you consult with your healthcare provider if you believe that the information above may be helpful; your healthcare provider will determine the appropriate treatment regimen for you.

Only your healthcare provider can determine if the above suggestions are appropriate treatment options for you; these are just some suggestions that you can discuss with him/her.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    omg!

I almost can't chew at all tonight! It's excruciating and I can't hardly even move my left jaw.

Leave a comment:

• stacyY
    replied
    I also get the Jaw pain also. I had it realy bad yesterday. My mom has had her jaw broken 3 differant times, and had arthritis in her jaw, and neck because of it. So I asked her about it. Cos i felt a little inflames one side. and hurt really bad to chew. And also Down side by my ear. She said it is TMJ, i said but it doesnt click or crack. She said it doesnt matter, it doesn t have to. Its a sign of arthritis also, which she said is what TMJ is.
    But she say its caused from grinding teeth. Today it fine, so i must not have grinded them last night.
    I also asked my mom also cos i have my wisdom teeth still if that can cause it, cos none of them had ever surfaced. She said yes that can aslo be causing the jaw pain and inflamation.
    So maybe if you have your wisdome teeth, if can be causing problems also,just another thought to look into.
    take care
    stacy

Leave a comment:

• **Angie**
    replied
    Oh my goodness your poor son!! How is he doing? That is a definite cause for stress.
    The tongue thing is a good idea--I've been just kinda setting my tongue up by my front teeth--keeping it and my jaw relaxed, it's helping.
    I got what's called a temporary night gaurd from our dentist and it only cost $50. It is formed and tight to my teeth. The real ones are $450. My husband who is a serious grinder chewed thru the temp. in 3 weeks--I've had mine for about 2 years and it's fine.

Leave a comment:

• sdg78
    replied
    I am sitting here in amazement that this was topic was actually posted! I just went to the doctor last week for jaw pain! I started having achiness in my jaws and a weird pressure feeling in my right temple (it felt like something was in there pushing out - no pain though) around the same time I was diagnosed with IC and overactive bladder. Just last week I woke up with a sharp stabbing pain in my right jaw, ear, and throat when I smiled and swallowed. I went to the doctor thinking I was getting an ear infection or strep throat or something, but all of that was fine. He said he thinks I am grinding my teeth at night and somehow aggravated the nerves in my cheek. My cheek feels better now, but I still have sore jaws! I do think it is stress induced! The Monday before I was diagnosed with IC, my 10 month old little boy, Brennen, pulled a crock-pot of cooking chili off on himself at the babysitters and was severely burned; therefore, I was going through everything with him and the news of IC and dealing with my symptoms and that is when the sore jaws started! I'm glad to know they make the guards OTC so I can just get one of them. My doctor suggested I go to the dentist, but I knew that was going to expensive! I am so glad I found this site... I have learned so much! You guys are great!

Leave a comment:

• stacey79
    replied
    I have jaw issues, too. Mine is from grinding my teeth at night and clenching my jaw. I've been flaring for the last week thanks to a UTI and notice that I'm clenching even more.

My family doc suggested I get a mouthguard. I did buy on at the drugstore. It was The Doctor's nightguard. You boil it and form it to your teeth. I think it was $25. I absolutely love it. I took it in to my dentist and he said it was fine and very similar to what he could have made for me.

You must know that I gag incredibly easily (sometimes even just brushing my teeth!) and I HATE having any dental work done. I'd rather have a broken bone almost. Seriously. But, this mouth guard thing has been great. I got it in December. I pretty much use it every night.

Also, for clenching during the day, my dentist suggested pushing your lower jaw forward just slightly so that your teeth are even with one another in the front and then sticking just the tip of your tongue in between there. I have made a habit of that and now don't even notice I'm doing it until I think about it. Certainly keeps me from clenching too much because if I do, I'll bite my tongue and notice!

Leave a comment:

• Georgia L
    replied
    I have found that many ICers like myself also have joint pain from arthrititis or fibromyalgia. You may want to look into those things as well as TMJ.
    Prayers, GL

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Carolyn is right. Stress can do some pretty horrible things to us. Even though I know my TMJ was not caused by stress, I know that stress can make me clamp my jaws and increase the pain.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    I think it's possible that when you are in pain, as with IC, or are very upset (as when you have received an IC diagnosis), you -- I mean you, generally, anyone -- are probably more likely to grind your teeth. It's because of the tension. You may not even know you're doing it. That may be one reason so many people can connect their TMJ with their IC. I don't know, but it seems that it might make sense.

Leave a comment:

• blondie45
    replied
    Jaw pain

Yes I have had jaw pain pretty much since probably a little before my IC started. I went in to have a root canal like 20 years ago, had terrible excruciating pain right away, and could only stand it for about a week and had them pull the tooth. Since then, the pain has gone from being in my teeth to in my jaw and goes from where the tooth came out up to my ear. I do think that unexplained jaw/mouth pain may have something to do with IC and/or fibromyalgia, as I have gone to the dentist numerous times saying a certain area hurts and they find nothing wrong so at this point who knows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X