Finally Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Diagnosed

To start with, I am 24 and I have had bladder infections since i was 9. I was at the doctor every other mon for infetions. My parents didn't have insurance and it just so happened that my aunt was a doctor. Shes' treated me since I was a child. If you've ever had a doctor in the family you know how family docs treat you. They just put a bandaid on it and you go home. I knew it had to be something more than just "infection" for all those years. But hey I was a kid; what did I know? I got married at 18. As you all know when you get married you have lots of sex. Well, then it really started getting bad. I had infections every month, hurting almost all the time, and sex was really painful. At 20 I was FINALLY reffered to a urologist. Well is was in his office for a total of 20 minutes and he ordered a CT on me. He got the results a few seconds later, said it was all clear and sent me home. So in my mind I was thinking "well great theres nothing seriously wrong with me it is just infections." Well the following month I woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and had severe pain in my mid back. It was so bad all I could do was sit in front of the potty and just cry. My husband found me and took me to the ER. They immediately put me in the hospital. I had a really bad kidney infection that had gotten into my blood. I was spiking fevers as high as 103.8. I got out and nothing else was ever done. I was just put on Macrodanton every night at bedtime. I sufferedf with this every month for about 2 years. I finally had my fill, I couldn't take anymore. So I went to a local rehabilitation center in my home town. I had no insurance so this would probably be my best bet. They refered my to a urologist about 2 hours away from home. I went to my first visit and he just knew he I had kidney stones. He ran the tests and no stones. Next he tried running the scope on my bladder. As soon as he inserted the scope I almost jumped off the table. I tried so hard to take it but I couldn't. He pulled it out and he did get a glace of the inside of my bladder. He said it looked like someone took a torch to the inside of my bladder. It was completely burned. He performed a biopsy about 1 week later. When I woke up from the procedure he told me what all he found. He diagnosed me with IC right then and there. My lining was completely gone. All the years of infection has damaged my entire bladder wall. He also took out a lot od dead cells that were built up along the tip of the urethra. After healng from the biopsy I actually felt better. I went about 3 months with no infection or pain. After the 3 month the symptoms came back. This time worse than ever. He decided to start me on Elmiron Cocktails. I done those for about a year and a half. They never worked for me. Although the flare ups weren't as bad after the fifth treatment, it started getting worse again after the nineth one. I still got an infection every week right before my period. He said it was because I always kept bacteria in my bladder but for some reason the bacteria only sticks to my bladder wall right before my period; therefore it causes an infection and a flare up. Let me remind you "I HAD NO INSURANCE". But he was wonderful he never once asked me for a dime. He put me on Elmiron, Macrodanton, Detrol LA, Pyridium Plus, Lanacain (with a surenge to insert directly in my urethera) and Bactrium. I have recently moved to VA and am in desperate need of a great urologist. I now have insurance so I can get the best of the best treatment.

Welcome!

Hello and to the gang! Glad you found us It's a great place for all kinds of information and support - and finding out you're not alone.

I am so glad you finally got a concrete diagnosis, that had to be at least a relief to finally have a name for it and way to proceed with regards to treatments etc. I too know what it's like to start IC diagnosis/treatment with no insurance, it's scary to say the least, lol. I too was glad when I finally had good insurance to help with the monthly Rx's!

Once again, let me say welcome to the gang!! (oh and there's information here on locating a medical care provider, here's the link to the page:
    http://www.ic-network.com/md/ )

Hope this helps a little bit!!!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Welcome to the group Brandy;
      Wow what an experiance you have had you poor girl. Only 5-10% of my bladder is effected, I cant even begin to know what you hvae been feeling threw the years. I am happy to hear you have insurance now.
      BEfore did you ever try to get from the state insurance, like medicaid? Thats all i have now for my self. My doctor made me go to get it and iw as lucky to get on the program becuase I have had 4 differant things done.
      Have you managed to work with your situation? OR have you filed disablility? I cant imagin that your able to do much. But if you do wow i give you credit.
      I am glad you where able to get the right diagnosis though. But who on earth did you manage to get a scope done with out being put to sleep? I have not had a urologist do such a thing or even surgest it. I think i would been screaming.
      Well i wish you the best dear, and i hope you will be able to get better soon, and somer relief also. take good care
      stacy

Current Conditions:
      Endometriosis,1995
      IC,Feb 06
      IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
      Stomach Ulcers
      Duodenitis
      Acid Reflux
      Low Blood Sugar
      Hypothyroid
      Migrains

Surgeries
      Laporoscopy-1995
      Gaul Bladder-1996
      Laporoscopy-2005
      colonoscopy2005
      cysto/hydro-2006
      cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
      Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
      Seasonique,1 night(helps control pain for Endo)Provera, 10mg 1 night
      Elavil, 150 1pm
      Flexeril, 10mg 1 night(was to be 1 am also but makes me to sleepy)
      Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
      Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
      Topamax 25mg 1am 2pmCyannobalamin(b12), 1 injection every 2 weeks
      Reglan, 10mg, 1 3xday with meals-for duonditis
      Ultram 50mg 1 every 4hrs as needed for pain
      Pyridim,100mg as needed
      Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain
      Heating pad
      Ice Pack
      Arthritis Pain Equate brand 650mg usualy 2 at a time
      Stool softeners w/stimuli, 2am 2pm[/COLOR]

Hopefuly no more gets added to the list!!!

I wish the best for all of you and hope the days with pain are few. I wish you peace and calmness... for we all need it, with out it... the pain is worse.
      Try to take the best care of you that you can. When you are not happy with the care you get dont hesitate to get the help you need. Sometimes a 2nd opinion can give the calm and peace which you are seeking.
      My prays go to all of you. For I know there are many who are have many bad days and need a shoulder.. Always remember this site, for its made a huge differance to me and many people. Here you can find the the ear your looking for when you just need to vent.
      When your not looking for Im so sorry and I have no idea what can help you. Here we understand the pains the suffereing and most of all the Constant frustration. For anyone who needs it.. I will do my best to be the ear who can listen and help how ever I can. All my best to all of you.
      Dont forget to take care of you!
      Take care

Comment

Working...
      X