Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• born2swim
    replied
    Yup, I'm a northern European mutt as well (Irish, Polish, Dutch, German). It seems a lot of things are related to that N. European line: hematochromatosis, lactose intolerance, skin cancer risk (due to fair skin), etc. Lucky us!

That being said, I'm the only one in my family with bladder issues. So, lucky me I guess. Could be worse though. This could be cancer or endometriosis or something... so I guess I have to keep my chin up about that. Bladder instills are way better than chemo or repeated endo surgery. I have to remind myself of that!

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Interesting. My father is Ashkenazi, but there is, as far as I know, NO auto-immune in the family. And I know the family out to third and fourth cousins. They all came to America long before WWII, so we do have information going back several generations, and as I said, out to several degrees of cousin-hood.

But my mom's family, who aren't Jewish at all, is teeming with rheumatoid arthritis, Epstein-Barr, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia -- and then of course there's me. I'm sure there are genetic links but I suspect it's a bit more complex than what we know so far.

And there are definitely people of both African and Asian descent in this Forum.

Leave a comment:

• miz_sunshine87
    replied
    I am Ashenazi Jewish, and my family is from Poland and Slovakia.
    I read in wikipedia that there is a slight disposition towards jews getting IC, which doesn't surprise me because autoimmune diseases tend to run in Jewish families (I personally think that IC is at least partially autoimmune for many).

Autoimmune diseases also run in my mom's side of the family. For all I know it might in my dad's side too (they all died in the holocaust except for my grandparents so who knows?).

It seems like everyone who answered this thread is at least partically European, but maybe this is just because the title is called "women of northern European heritage". Regardless, from the pictures people post it appears that the majority are mostly caucasian. Does IC have a genetic link? I think so.

Leave a comment:

• UCSB
    replied
    German and Swedish here.

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    We have a lot of auto-immune on my mother's side of the family, where everyone is French as well. I have never thought of France as being in 'northern' Europe. Unless you are comparing it to Eastern Europe. But, if IC is more common in women of Northern European descent, it doesn't mean it only occurs in these people.

Hey, Pingpong, I actually liked your 'plague' theory. Interesting thinking.

Leave a comment:

• jklog3
    replied
    I have never posted here before, just enjoy reading all the information. I am 90% german! But since I am finally writting something, I just wanted to tell you all how supportive you all seem.

Leave a comment:

• Janie Miranda
    replied
    Swedish/ Irish and English in my family background.

Leave a comment:

• pingpong
    replied
    I'm French on both sides of my family as far back as we've been able to go. I'm not sure if France is considered to be "northern" European (I guess it would depend how far north!) Now, I may be totally "out there" with this, and scientific types, please feel free to chime in any time, but I have to wonder if we have autoimmune diseases because our ancestors survived the plagues that ravaged Europe so many times, and they were able to survive because their immune systems were really, really tough. Generations later, perhaps those strong immune systems are going overboard...? (I said it was out there!)

Leave a comment:

• Eccles
    replied
    This is interesting - I'm English & have Celtic ancestors.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Mom's side (where the IC is from. Mom & grandmother have it too): English, Irish, French Canadian (I think the French Canadian part's from Mom's dad's side, so not the IC contributor as far as I can see.)

Dad's side: Hungarian (but again, not the side wtih the IC).

I'm seeing lots of English & Irish listed here....
    Could explain the bland diets of those countries?!!

Leave a comment:

• mydimples6
    replied
    This is very interesting! I am welch/english, swedish. All of those qualify, I believe. And, auto-immune diseases run in my mothers side of the family too. Diabeties especially, and they have a history of UTI's and bowel issues as well!

Leave a comment:

• mom_in_ma
    replied
    half German...half Norwegian. I definitely fit the profile!

Leave a comment:

• blendno14
    replied
    ..just german.... and I'm quite surprised how many of you have some german ancestors (sp?)

Leave a comment:

• Papillion
    replied
    This is interesting.......I am Irish,Scottish,French and German.

Leave a comment:

• glassd18
    replied
    I'm Irish, Scottish, French, Canadian.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X