Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have constant bladder spasums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have constant bladder spasums?

Hi everyone,
    I just came from my ob/gyn. I have been haveing really bad cramps, I thought it was to do with just being a female,even though i never have periods i still get PMS,spotting, and lattly horrible cramps.
    But i have noticed they come a lot after i go to the bathroom. like sometimes, before i can even wipe, or just a few mins after. She said it sounds more like bladder spasums.
    If they are do anyone know how to get ride of them? Just when walking around I get cramps. It feel like all day long they last. Which is why i thought it was like mestral cramps even though i do not bleed. But thought the minor spotting was the problem.
    Today I am also going to my urologist. I will also ask her. But some times i get better advice here then at the doctors.
    Any thoguhts???

thanks stacy

Current Conditions:
    Endometriosis,1995
    IC,Feb 06
    IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
    Stomach Ulcers
    Duodenitis
    Acid Reflux
    Low Blood Sugar
    Hypothyroid
    Migrains

Surgeries
    Laporoscopy-1995
    Gaul Bladder-1996
    Laporoscopy-2005
    colonoscopy2005
    cysto/hydro-2006
    cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
    Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
    Seasonique,1 night(helps control pain for Endo)Provera, 10mg 1 night
    Elavil, 150 1pm
    Flexeril, 10mg 1 night(was to be 1 am also but makes me to sleepy)
    Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
    Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
    Topamax 25mg 1am 2pmCyannobalamin(b12), 1 injection every 2 weeks
    Reglan, 10mg, 1 3xday with meals-for duonditis
    Ultram 50mg 1 every 4hrs as needed for pain
    Pyridim,100mg as needed
    Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain
    Heating pad
    Ice Pack
    Arthritis Pain Equate brand 650mg usualy 2 at a time
    Stool softeners w/stimuli, 2am 2pm[/COLOR]

Hopefuly no more gets added to the list!!!

I wish the best for all of you and hope the days with pain are few. I wish you peace and calmness... for we all need it, with out it... the pain is worse.
    Try to take the best care of you that you can. When you are not happy with the care you get dont hesitate to get the help you need. Sometimes a 2nd opinion can give the calm and peace which you are seeking.
    My prays go to all of you. For I know there are many who are have many bad days and need a shoulder.. Always remember this site, for its made a huge differance to me and many people. Here you can find the the ear your looking for when you just need to vent.
    When your not looking for Im so sorry and I have no idea what can help you. Here we understand the pains the suffereing and most of all the Constant frustration. For anyone who needs it.. I will do my best to be the ear who can listen and help how ever I can. All my best to all of you.
    Dont forget to take care of you!
    Take care

HI! I used to get those all the time too......but they have pretty much stopped since I started Elavil again. I think the Freeze dried Aloe Vera helps too. Hope you get helpful advice from your URO......Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

My gynecologist thinks that I might have bladder spasms. He is not for sure. I was telling him the other day and I have been wearing the adhesive heating pads on my panties at night. I keep it on for eight hours and normally the next couple of days I feel pretty good. If I just use a regular heating pad that shuts off I do not get the same effect. I told him I thought that it had to be calming my bladder. I suggested to him that I thought I might have PFD, he said I didn't have that but that I might have bladder spasms. So.....you might want to try adhesive heating pads at night. Hope you find something that works for you.

Kristi
      Diagnosed with IC - March 2007
      Diagnosed with vulvodynia - June 2007
      -Lots of prayer
      -Taking Elmiron and Hydroxzine (stoppped because of pregnancy)
      -Taking Prelief as needed (stopped because of pregnancy)
      -IC diet

Comment

thanks for the advice!
        I saw my urologist today also. Boy what trip that was. OF course i get there and cant pee for some reason. Got just a little out, enough for them to think it could be an infection, but i am on an antibiotic, so i am not sure how can be an infection.
        I told her that i was haveing these horrible cramps. She thinks it might be also cos i cant empty out my bladder and it sits there and bothers my bladder.
        I had to get a cathider done, which forme is pure torture. Before that she said to me again to learn how to do it. I said i cant. It hurts so bad when your nurse does it, I cant do it.
        So this time the Doc acculy did it this time. With in like 10 seconds of the cathider in there, i just start crying and shakeing.I was just trying to breathout the pain, but it jsut got worse, and when they took it out, my god it felt like somone was draging their nails inside of me ripping it out.
        After that she said now ic an see why for y ou you do not want to do it.
        But then she said also she never had anyone respond that way with a cathider. She has no idea what is going on. When i went there it wasa a follow up from my cystoscop. She said there was no bleeding in side at all and my bladder capasity is large. which in Feb 2006, it was small only 900cc and there was bleeding. So she now deffinatly has no idea what is really going on.
        None of it makes since. She has no idea how to treat me. She said to take pryidium for the spasms. Hopefuly it will work.
        So thats whats going on there. Never ending thing.
        thanks for all the suport and help!
        take care
        stacy

Current Conditions:
        Endometriosis,1995
        IC,Feb 06
        IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
        Stomach Ulcers
        Duodenitis
        Acid Reflux
        Low Blood Sugar
        Hypothyroid
        Migrains

Surgeries
        Laporoscopy-1995
        Gaul Bladder-1996
        Laporoscopy-2005
        colonoscopy2005
        cysto/hydro-2006
        cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
        Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
        Elavil, 150 1pm
        Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
        Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
        Pyridim,100mg as needed
        Heating pad
        Ice Pack

I wish the best for all of you and hope the days with pain are few. I wish you peace and calmness... for we all need it, with out it... the pain is worse.
        Try to take the best care of you that you can. When you are not happy with the care you get dont hesitate to get the help you need. Sometimes a 2nd opinion can give the calm and peace which you are seeking.
        My prays go to all of you. For I know there are many who are have many bad days and need a shoulder.. Always remember this site, for its made a huge differance to me and many people. Here you can find the the ear your looking for when you just need to vent.
        When your not looking for Im so sorry and I have no idea what can help you. Here we understand the pains the suffereing and most of all the Constant frustration. For anyone who needs it.. I will do my best to be the ear who can listen and help how ever I can. All my best to all of you.
        Take care

Comment

Have you had a urodynamics test done? I have constant spasms, from that my bladder has shrunk and I fear as it goes on I will someday not have one. I take 5 mg. Valium at night, and I am calling her tomorrow to ask for any suggestions for the day time. Any physical activity just sets me off.

The Cath, kills me to. Did they put lidocaine on it? that helps. I do home instills, and I have to really pych myself up to do them. She wants me to do them 3 times a week, but I can't, I try for one. It isn't hard to do, I use a mirror to be sure going in the right place and then I take my Valium and that helps.

Comment

No i never had that test done. But i think I will mention it to the dcotor. I have no idea how you manage to do the Instilations. I couldnt do it. Back a year ago she did 4 of them and every time i went back, my pain was worse. She stopped doing it and then the pain stopped.

My bladder is not responding to tipical treatments. Since yesterday, my urethera is paining me so much. She thinks it will help to keep doing it but it hurts so much.

My doctors thinks i need to get off all my medician, she thinks its whats causing the urine retention. She said to get off my anti-depressiant, even my Elavil, and Flexeril. She wil not give me any pain pills. She just said to take the pyridium. and only the very necessity thins for my thyroid and ulcer. Everything else needs to stop. Even my Vicodin, she has me not takeing that at all. And now i jsut found i have Ulcers last week, and cant even take motrin for it. Does takeing Pyridium halp you at all for spasms?
            take care
            stacy

Originally posted by littlemyrn View Post
            Have you had a urodynamics test done? I have constant spasms, from that my bladder has shrunk and I fear as it goes on I will someday not have one. I take 5 mg. Valium at night, and I am calling her tomorrow to ask for any suggestions for the day time. Any physical activity just sets me off.

The Cath, kills me to. Did they put lidocaine on it? that helps. I do home instills, and I have to really pych myself up to do them. She wants me to do them 3 times a week, but I can't, I try for one. It isn't hard to do, I use a mirror to be sure going in the right place and then I take my Valium and that helps.

Current Conditions:
            Endometriosis,1995
            IC,Feb 06
            IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
            Stomach Ulcers
            Duodenitis
            Acid Reflux
            Low Blood Sugar
            Hypothyroid
            Migrains

Surgeries
            Laporoscopy-1995
            Gaul Bladder-1996
            Laporoscopy-2005
            colonoscopy2005
            cysto/hydro-2006
            cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
            Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
            Elavil, 150 1pm
            Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
            Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
            Pyridim,100mg as needed
            Heating pad
            Ice Pack

Take care

Comment

HI! Pyridium helps with spasms......it calms the bladder. It's an anesthesia for the bladder.
              If you have been taking Motrin that might be what's causing the bladder problem. I can't take any Ibuprofen products because it causes urethra pain and spasms.
              It sounds like you need to see a Urologist who specializes in IC. Good luck! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
              Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
              Dx'd Hypothyroid
              Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
              June 2007
              Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
              First Cysto 1979
              First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
              Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
              Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
              Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
              Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
              Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
              Bladder surgery 2000
              Dx'd: IBS 2000
              Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
              Laminectomy 1989
              Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
              I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

I had bladder spasms- they did not start immediately after my symptoms of IC started. They started after I lived with the IC pain for sometime, while I was being diagnosed and before treatment.

My urologist said he wasn't surprised I started to have them after living with the pain for awhile. After I started treatment and started to feel better they went away.

You poor thing! You are not weird or crazy! If you have IC and/or your bladder/pelvic area is already in pain and having spasms , I'm not surprised the catheter hurt ! It can be very painful for some people with problems in that area.
                -ask for two things, numbing cream on the outside
                -and a pediatric catheter which is smaller

The catheter goes in and bumps against the sides of you bladder, where you nerves are flaring. OUCH! Once I had one put in at the hospital ( before I knew I had IC ) when my bladder was already hurting and I thought I was going to die. I had to leave it in for a test and I was crying and it hurt the whole time, like broken glass inside of me!

Even if you are feeling good a catheter can set my IC pain off. If they are familiar with IC or pelvic pain at your urologists they will be sympathetic to this and and should have no problem. Except with some tests, they might have to use the regular size one, but they can still use the numbing cream. If they don't understand this, I might look for another doctor. I try to stay away from catheters at all costs unless absolutely necessary.

Oh and the PFD, did they ever test you for this? They can do an exam/test, it's like a pelvic exam where they press inside on certain muscle pressure points and see how you react, pain levels etc. If they did not check I would ask them to check for this.

And your bladder could be flaring right now, even though your bladder did not look that bad at last cystoscopy.

I hope things calm down for you soon, the pyridium should help and hopefully you and the doctor will get to the bottom of your cramping and spasms!

Good luck!
                Last edited by pj77; 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM.
                Diagnosed with IC in 9/2005,
                Currently doing good, taking breaks from Elmiron, reduced amount.

Comment

oops posted twice sorry
                  Last edited by pj77; 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM.
                  Diagnosed with IC in 9/2005,
                  Currently doing good, taking breaks from Elmiron, reduced amount.

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. Its been over a month now, and I am doing better cramp wise. So i am thinking that the spasms have calmed down. Every now and then i feel it and then i get some cramping, but not like steady like before. I did use the pyridem and it helped so much.
                    I have not have an official exam for PFD, as to my knowledge,lol then again i been poked and proded so offten, i have no idea whats been done and when.
                    The docotrs trying to get me to go back to the University of Michigan Hospital, I am not looking forword to it, My last exam, sent me in a 2 week flare up, god only knows what they will do to me there.
                    I will deffinaly write down the info you gave me about the numbing cream and smaller cathider. You right it feels like glass ripping threw you.
                    One time in the Er they left a huge one in me and i cried non stop for over 20 mins, was so bad!I wanted to rip it out my self and when he said to leave in all night i thought he was insain!
                    Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas, i will deffinatly use it.
                    best wishs for you also
                    stacy

Current Conditions:
                    Endometriosis,1995
                    IC,Feb 06
                    IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
                    Stomach Ulcers
                    Duodenitis
                    Acid Reflux
                    Low Blood Sugar
                    Hypothyroid
                    Migrains

Surgeries
                    Laporoscopy-1995
                    Gaul Bladder-1996
                    Laporoscopy-2005
                    colonoscopy2005
                    cysto/hydro-2006
                    cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
                    Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
                    Elavil, 150 1pm
                    Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
                    Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
                    Pyridim,100mg as needed
                    Heating pad
                    Ice Pack

Take care

Comment

Stacy did they ever give you a firm diagnosis? My main symptom is cramping like you describe. Like bad period cramps all the time. I had a PST and the catheter hurt so bad going in I thought I would die. I have no burning and only minor urgency/frequency. Our symptoms sound a lot alike so I'm just wondering if it's truly IC. I am getting Heparin instills now and they are irritating my urethra although much less painful now that they use the lidocaine. Also I asked them not to use the Betadine this time cause I think that causes additional burning. I've only had the PST and this one instill so I don't know but everyone says I'm supposed to get immediate relief and if anything I feel a little worse. I am going to ask my GYN about possible endometriosis, bladder spasms or hormonal imbalance? I just don't want to be missing anything.
                      The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
                      First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
                      Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
                      Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
                      Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
                      BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Hi Charisse
                        Well I found the cramping is acculy bladder spasms. I take the Pyridium, and it works great to stop it, but when they start i keep it in my system even if it starts to feel better. ALso I was usuaing a heating pad and it seemed to help. Usualy the heat made the IC worse, but with these cramps, it really helped.
                        I have been threw it all the Ob/gyn, acculy just saw her a few days back. She has incresed my flexeril to 2 times a day morining and night. I have had the laporoscopys done they suspect the Endo also but when they did surgery didnt see it but the doctor still thinks i have it.
                        In april I have the Cystoscope done again, and when i saw her a few weeks back she is more puzzeled. But thinks the Elmiron has possibly healed the lesions. But the reactions i have to the cathider she said is very abnormal. So in July, I am going to Univerity of Michigan hospital to try to get more answers. I have 3 doctors now who just do not have any real answers. I was hopeing to avoid it by haveing the surgery in april, but left the doctor more confused.
                        So between the ob/gyn and my urologist, no solid answeres.
                        Ohh yeah i cant do the instalations, it made my condition much worse, i went for 4 weeks, and when we decided not to do it since the pain seem to be worse while doing them, she said lets not do it and see what happends, and with in a few days the pain acculy stopped.
                        But lattly a major issue is not being able to compleatly empty out my bladder. She isnt sure whats causing it, could be my medications she said. But i think its i get so enflamed, and swelled up, and i can feel the muscles become more hard, So its i belive whats causing that issue.
                        But in april i also had a endoscopy done, and i have ulcers, and told i cant ever have mortin. Well about 2 weeks back i couldnt pee again., took the mortin and with in 1 hr i finnaly was able to go to the bathroom. so weird.
                        WEll I wish you good luck. I hope things work out better for you then it has for me. I deffinaly next time you got the cramps, take the pyrdium, its really helped me. I always thought it was for when you have infections. BUt its for pain also. works really well.
                        GOod luck.
                        stacy

Current Conditions:
                        Endometriosis,1995
                        IC,Feb 06
                        IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
                        Stomach Ulcers
                        Duodenitis
                        Acid Reflux
                        Low Blood Sugar
                        Hypothyroid
                        Migrains

Surgeries
                        Laporoscopy-1995
                        Gaul Bladder-1996
                        Laporoscopy-2005
                        colonoscopy2005
                        cysto/hydro-2006
                        cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
                        Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
                        Elavil, 150 1pm
                        Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
                        Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
                        Pyridim,100mg as needed
                        Heating pad
                        Ice Pack

Take care

Comment

Stacy thanks so much for replying. The Pyridium does usually help me but I can only take half the dose otherwise I get weird stomach pains. It sounds like our cases are very similar. How did they determine you were having spasms? Is that what they do after they rule everything else out? They told me years ago I was having spasms but then they kind of went away on their own and then came back with the cramping which I didn't have before. I am afraid to continue on with these Heparin instills since they are bothering my urethra but if the GYN thinks it will help then I guess I should try them. I also will get the occasional problem of feeling like I have to pee and yet nothing will come out. I've also had a feeling like knives in my urethra before. Have you ever had that? It sounds like your drs are being real thorough with you which I'm glad to hear. Please keep in touch!!
                          The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
                          First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
                          Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
                          Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
                          Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
                          BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Working...
                          X