ic and cirrohsis of liver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ic and cirrohsis of liver

does anyone out there have non-alcoholic cirrohsis of the liver and ic? my mom is facing a possible dianosis of ic, and i was wondering how those two illnesses coexist, treatment wise, and healthwise. does anyone have complications due to the other illness? she also is diabetic, has high blood pressure and high cholesterol (those three she keeps well in hand with exercise and diet changes), she has ibs, is on meds for anxiety and depression because of all her health problems, and has osteoporosis. she also has had 2 c-sections, a hysterectomy, an adrenal gland removed, an enlarged spleen, extremely low white blood cell and platelet counts, rotator cuff surgeries in both shoulders, carpal tunnel surgeries on both hands, and more i'm probably forgetting. let's just say she's falling apart and she's only 61. she called me yesterday with the news after seeing the doc with a possible uti. the doc isn't testing her for ic yet, but mentioned it. the sound of those words as she choked them out on the phone have stayed with me, and i just keep screaming in my head, no, not that too, she's had enough!!!! she said the doc told her to cut out coffee, to see if that helps, but she cuts out a lot for the diabetes. she doesn't want to cut more out. i ran out and bought her some herbal coffee, but we all know that doesn't solve everything.
    thanks for any advice anyone may have!!!!

Live until you die.....don't let IC control your life. Rock your world and as my heroine says, "fiddle dee dee, tomorrow is another day!"

I have never heard of cirrohsis of liver being connected in any way to interstitial cystitis. I hope making some diet changes will help her feel better. I have a friend, who moved away some years ago, who had to give up coffee for bladder issues --- she did fine as long as she avoided it --- and she did NOT have IC.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

i don't think there's a link between cirrohsis and ic, either. i was just wondering how having such a low white blood cell/platelet count and all the other side effects of the liver disease affected ic, especially with the weak immune system. i guess i needed to make myself clearer. sorry! i don't know if it would lead to flaring up easier or more often, or less of a chance of responding to medication. would instils be effective? i don't know if they get filtered through the liver since they go into the bladder. would she be able to take elmiron? she has to be careful to make sure she doesn't get constipated because she has to flush out the toxins that the liver is getting backed up with. i would hope that the elmiron would be effective in getting through her system. i may be wondering prematurely, since she doesn't have a diagnosis yet, and may not have ic, but i'd rather know ahead of time. i'm ocd about things like that. i hate surprises.

thanks for your input!!!!

Live until you die.....don't let IC control your life. Rock your world and as my heroine says, "fiddle dee dee, tomorrow is another day!"

Comment

You are a great daughter to be looking out for your mom so carefully.

I am currently diagnosed with ITP (spleen removed led to remission), MS and IC. All are autoimmune disorders. When someone has one autoimmune disorder, they are likely to have others. Sounds like your mom has multiple issues anyway.

I'm new to IC, but there are many different options for treatment. I am currently keeping a close eye on my diet and taking hydroxyzine and amitriptyline. The combo seems to be working well, especially now that I know my recent abdominal pain issues were due to kidney stone blockages on the left and right side and NOT from my IC flaring. One treatment doesn't fit all. Different people with IC react better to certain treatments than others with IC. Your mom just have to figure out what works for her if she does get the diagnosis.

Stress is also a big factor. Stress can cause instant IC flare-ups for some people. I try to stay as stress-free as possible. I let things go that aren't important so that I can stay healthy. For me it's particularly important because a bad IC flare could stress my body out enough to cause an MS flare which could be way worse than the IC flare.

I also have a rice bag that I can heat up and put on my stomach and a heating pad for my lower back. The heat all the way around is not only relaxing, but soothes some of my discomfort.

If your mom gets an IC diagnosis, you can help her look at the diet and treatment options to decide what may work best for her. Her doctor will also be instrumental in this decision if she chooses a medication for treatment.

Good luck !
        Colleen

* ITP - autoimmune blood disorder - spleen removed 1978 and in remission since
        * MS- diagnosed Jan-2010
        * IC - confirmed by cysto and hydro Nov-2010 - currently taking no medication
        * possible adenomyosis - suspected by urogyno May-2010
        * low Vitamin D levels - taking 2000 IU daily
        * sleep issues - 1/2 alprazolam

Comment

we're still waiting on the results from her cat scan, to see if there is something else going on. she does have a hernia, a small one, but her doc said they can't operate unless it's a life or death situation, cause her body won't be able to handle the trauma. i don't know if it's that which is causing her pain, but i know it's not what's making her run to the bathroom so often. i hope it's just overactive bladder. at least we can commiserate together if she has ic, and i can share my treatment successes and failures (and my doc).

i have one of those rice filled bags too, and sometimes it does help. the pain med nucynta helps me too. and i definitely agree, stress kills! thanks for the advice!

Comment

Hope you get your mom's results soon. If it is IC, you can help her get on the right path for treatment as you have experience with it yourself. Just keep in mind that every patient is unique and what works for you may not work for your mom.

Good luck !
            Colleen

* MS- diagnosed Jan-2010

Comment

Mackerolee! How much can one body take? Will say that the liver is your body's filter, everything you put into your body goes through your liver eventually. Is Mom a candidate for a trasnplant? Might want to get her on the list. The heck with the IC, the liver is the priority I would think. The cholesterol will be elevated because her liver cannot process any fats. Our NP recommended red yeast rice capsules for high cholesterol, might want to google that. Probably condraindicated with all the meds Mom is on, but worth a look. Always talk with her doc first too. The liver issue is the key, would think. And yes you can have liver failure without ever having a drop of alchohol in your entire life. We currently have an aunt with the same thing.

So sorry Mom is going through this, you are a good daughter. That's why Moms have daughters. Been there. The karma will come back to you tenfold. Hope Mom gets some relief, and don't you get too stressed. It can take its toll on you as well. You need too be strong for her. Trust me, the rewards are great, give yourself a big pat on the back once in a while. And don't be afraid to ask for help when it becomes overwhelming. Take care of yourself. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

we got the cat scan results back, and it showed nothing. that's kinda good and kinda bad. it would be nice to know what is going on, but it's also good knowing nothing is there. she goes back to the docs on tuesday, so we'll see what the doc says to do next. i told her to ask about oab and try detrol or vesicare. she's not having a major amount of pain, but frequent urination. i'm glad we have a family doc who is very involved with our care. he's one we can ask anything and not feel stupid, and he doesn't just try to shove pills down our throats to get us out of the office and collect a fee. i know that makes her feel a lot better. like the rest of us, she feels like she's going crazy, trying to figure out what's wrong this time.

she also gets frustrated because she takes the best care of herself as she can, and still has all this crap. she eats decent, watches her weight, exercises, keeps her cholesterol, blood pressure, and sugar numbers all at good levels thru meds and diet, doesn't smoke, rarely (and now,never) drinks, has never done drugs, etc. it sucks to be like that and be ill, and then see those who destroy thier bodes, and have good health. speaking of karma, it makes you wonder what you did so wrong to deserve all this.

i'll fill everyone in after tuesday's appointment. hopefully she'll get some answers!

Comment

Scarlett - glad you got the results quickly, but I can understand how you must feel.

I had some success with Detrol for night-time OAB, then it suddenly stopped working. Then I tried Vesicare and it worked better. Went off it after a few months and haven't had any OAB problems unless having IC flare, UTI or kidney stones. Doctor said my bladder "re-trained" itself. I do find I go more now during the day generally, and not so much at night, which is the reverse of what was happening before.

It does stink to take care of yourself and have so many things happen to you. My girlfriends just look at me with shock and say "Really ?!" every time I tell that whatever new thing is going on with me. At least I can still laugh about most of it, and they are so supportive of me.

Keep us posted.
                  Colleen

* MS- diagnosed Jan-2010

Comment

i got better after taking vesicare and detrol too, after having the surgery to get rid of stress incontinence. i still go to the bathroom often, but not quite as often, and have stopped taking the detrol. i think some of my problem was going so i didn't have to go later. i work in a nursing home, so i would try to go between patient care, before and after my half hour supper, etc. i probably know every crack in the floor in my unit's potty.

so far, mom's dealing with the waiting okay. she was started on ativan because she was crying so often, and was so depressed/anxious. that wasn't enough, so she was put on another med, which made her nauseated for a few weeks until it got into her system right. now she's back on her amitryptiline, to supplement the other meds, and she's so tired all the time. she's tired already from the low white cell count, and now this is worse. she was never a person to nap in the afternoon, but now she does. it bothers her that she can't do as much, physical-wise, because of the hernia, and she feels crappy that she can't help my dad like she used to. she used to have the driveway shoveled when he came home from work, and could help rake leaves in the fall (they live in the woods), but now, she can't, and is feeling a little useless. my dad doesn't have a problem with it, he understands, but we girls all know how it feels to not be able to hold our own. she's always been independent, so this is driving her nuts.

my friends give me the "now what?" looks too, when i tell them things. my husband says there's definitely no way mom could deny me - we both are falling apart. the old gray mares are not what we used to be! i only hope it stops with me. i homeschool my son, and some days he runs to the bathroom a million times, and at times, he complains of abdominal pain. i'm lost as to whether it's a true problem, or if he's just trying to get out of schoolwork, and is using pain as a complaint because he hears me saying how much i hurt. i never voice that concern around him, because if he hears it, and is making up stories or trying to get out of schoolwork, i don't want him to fake things like that. i have him convinced i have eyes in the back of my head (he asked one day if all moms have "back-eyes!), i just wish i had x ray vision.

oh well, til next time...

Comment

You are so lucky to have such an understanding hub. Hug him! Glad Mom's test was negative, and that her doc is paying attention to her depression. It sometimes takes time to get the proper "mix" but it is out there. Just keep an eye on her, which sure you are.
                      Yikes, it really stinks doesn't it? But so many positives and people who get remission and relief, do not despair. It will happen. Take care of yourself, number one, your Mom needs you. Karma, girlfriend. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

not yet

well, i'd love to inform everyone of how mom's appointment went, but she cancelled it due to weather. we're getting a lot of sleet, freezing rain and rain now, and she won't go out in, understandably. the doc told her if there's a cancellation friday, she can go in, or if not, she's going in next week.

thanks for all the support and good thoughts. i'll post when i know what's going on.

Comment

so far, so good

mom's been to the doc. she didn't say any more about the ic. she said the pain she's having is due to the enlarged spleen and liver, and that may be what's pushing on her bladder. mom also says she doesn't have symptoms like i do, but who knows, everyone's different. it's something to keep in mind for the future, with her luck.

thank you to all who prayed and gave support and advice!

Comment

Glad mom has been to see the doctor, but can they do anything about the enlarged spleen and liver ? That seems to be more concerning than the bladder issues.

Good luck to you and your mom.
                            Colleen

* MS- diagnosed Jan-2010

Comment

That sounds like a vague diagnosis. To what are they attributing enlarged spleen and liver? Sometimes that could be an age related thing, but sounds weird they are dismissing the bladder issue. Sometimes as people age they have enlarged hearts and other organs, but it usually does not cause pain. Would question that and get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd opinion. Just sounds odd. Good luck, you are a good daughter. Hang in there. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X