X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• megad
    replied
    Re: can't urinate

Pls excuse my typos folks..I left out words and didn't proofread well ..Sorry! Hope you can understand my post.
    Thx
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• megad
    replied
    Re: can't urinate

Hi Folks, I notice this is an older thread, but I am in this situation.
    I am new here and havent posted much.
    I have had IC issues for about 7 years ..and some meds make peeing hard, Elavil and the overactive bladder meds etc were the first ones to provoke this. so I can relate!
    I am now using an intrathecal pain pump to help with severe anal rectal (sitting pain) from Pudendal Neuralgia..After a medicine change to my pump, I came down with UTI symptoms ....Some bacteria was found (for the the first time in my bout with IC symptoms)and Im being treated with antis...also taking a pro-biotci as Im prone to yeast.
    After about 10days, Im now having problems emptying my bladder fully ( my worst IC symptom) Docs /nurses still think all this is from infection, as Ecoli in some amoutn was found, but the resultls were somewhat confusing as "the colony amount was small"
    Anyway Im scared an IC flare was provoked by this med change...The weird thing is that the med I now have in mypump is Dilaudid -a med my bladder tolerates fine (both in oral and rectal forms). Its never given me a problem, in fact its the only med that helped with my rectal pain to any degree.
    Also with a pain pump, medicine goes right to spinal cord avoiding the other organs --so you only use tiny amounts of med as opposed to the above methods, hence side effecrs are much less likely.
    Since all this started the days we changes my pump meds ... Im very scared.
    Right now Im having the worst flare ever, abdomen hurts like Im full of urine yet nothing comes out.
    When Ive had this feeling in the past they check me and Im always empty!
    A few days ago they scanned my bladder and I emptied sufficiently so they didn't think retention.
    Im feeling worse today.
    Help! Could anyone such Donna who has pain pump--- could u pls weigh in, if you see this?
    Sadly my pain pump doc is not compassionate or helpful and is annoyed that I am complicated.. and have "that IC" as he calls it. He does not get that my IC and PN symptoms are all part of the same disease.
    He is also un-reachable by phone, so I depend on my kind infusion nurse for all advice.. but I feel so bad bothering her and she is not a doc.
    I am looking for a kinder and more savvy doc, but doctors who dose and manage pain pumps are few are far between.
    What pain med can I take for this feeling of fullness? I have Percoset.. but am afraid it would worsen my ability to pee.
    I am also taking Pyridium but it hasn't helped today. I would run all this by my nurse before I do it.. thx for any help you can provide!
    Kathy

Leave a comment:

• ginaaa22
    replied
    Originally posted by cmclien View Post
    Well hopefully you won't have withdrawal symptoms. If you do, you can always take a much smaller dose and lower the atarax too. It sounds to me totally like retention caused by your meds but I am no medical professional!

So glad you are feeling better.
    I'm not going to take it and I havent had withdrawl symptoms yet. I knoq it was from the elavil because I stopped taking it for 2 days and I could pee again. I started taking flomax today (thanks Donna) and am feeling much better. I HATE cathin myself... I see my uro in 2 weeks so I'm sure she will put me on a similar med. She suggested lyrica but I told her I wanted to do some research and see how much it would cost me.. I'm still taking my hydroxine...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by melhil View Post
    I have hope, that this is just part of a Pelvic Floor problem. I am trying Physical Therapy, again.
    Melhil,

I have the same problem. I was just at the hospital today for a second urodynamics study and the nurse there was AMAZING. I told her that when I try to pee, my bowels open 'involuntarily' and I asked her if she knew what was going on. (So far not a single doctor has given me an explanation for this, even though I was regularly seeing a bowel doctor. They just gave a vague explanation of 'possible pelvic floor problems.') Anyway, the nurse told me that it is 100% linked to my I.C. When I try to pee, I am straining a lot and instead of my bladder doing the work, I am using my pelvic floor muscles and abdominal muscles instead. (The graph on the computer they connected me to even showed this happenning!) Because I am using these muscles, anything which is sitting in my bowel is being pushed out. She said that if I can get my bladder fixed, the bowel problem should resolve itself.

I've been trying as much as I can to let the urine flow naturally, even if that means it trickles out and takes ages - so that I'm not forcing my bowels open. But sometimes it's impossible.

Maybe this is what's happenning to you??

Jem x

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    replied
    Originally posted by ginaaa22 View Post
    My gyn in the vulvar clinic keeps upping my dose of elavil. I used to only take 25-50mg but it wasnt helping with my pain so they keep upping it. My uro said to stop completely. I dont think what was happening was retention. My bladder muscle wouldnt push it out, like i had no control over it. It didnt hurt, other than the fullness and pressure of the bladder. I was so uncomfortable I couldnt sit down. I have a post op apt with my uro on march 22, so I'm sure she will change up my meds (so hopefully they work). I'm so ****** I just bought a 3 month supply of elavil and the 25mg tabs to keep upping my dose on a titration scale. It could be the atarax im taking. Idk...I'm just glad I can pee again.
    Well hopefully you won't have withdrawal symptoms. If you do, you can always take a much smaller dose and lower the atarax too. It sounds to me totally like retention caused by your meds but I am no medical professional!

So glad you are feeling better.

Leave a comment:

• melhil
    replied
    I have hope, that this is just part of a Pelvic Floor problem. I am trying Physical Therapy, again.

Leave a comment:

• Landish
    replied
    Originally posted by melhil View Post
    This is my worst symptom. I can't, and it is very painful to try. Like a knife trying to poke out of me. I have learned to get up walk around, and try again.
    I find that instead of peeing, I have to poo. This is also painfull, but after I poo, I feel a little less pressure. After I poo enough, I am able to pee. I am getting up and walking around a little after each poo, or attempted pee, to try and stay calm.
    Wow Melhil It's my first time that I read exactly my situation. I always say the same sentence to explain somebody how it's hard for me to pee "Like a knife trying to poke out of me" exactly the same words.
    I also have to poo first, and I scream because of the pain in my bladder but then I can relax better. The problem is that the more time goes by without urinate the pain is worst and I am not able to pee.
    I just hope that some genius finds the cure soon because I think my bladder is at its end.

Leave a comment:

• ginaaa22
    replied
    Originally posted by cmclien View Post
    Well thats good news
    I think most of the tri-cyclics list that as a possible side effect but there are other classes of anti's they could try. Also you could try lowering your dose. Have you been on that dose for long?
    Your at a pretty high dose and you might have withdrawal symptoms going totally off it at once. I think they recommend you taper off of it (if possible).
    My gyn in the vulvar clinic keeps upping my dose of elavil. I used to only take 25-50mg but it wasnt helping with my pain so they keep upping it. My uro said to stop completely. I dont think what was happening was retention. My bladder muscle wouldnt push it out, like i had no control over it. It didnt hurt, other than the fullness and pressure of the bladder. I was so uncomfortable I couldnt sit down. I have a post op apt with my uro on march 22, so I'm sure she will change up my meds (so hopefully they work). I'm so ****** I just bought a 3 month supply of elavil and the 25mg tabs to keep upping my dose on a titration scale. It could be the atarax im taking. Idk...I'm just glad I can pee again.

Leave a comment:

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    melhil,
    that isn't good and not something you should have to live with Have you spoken to your Dr about the problem. That doesn't sound like IBS to me. You should speak with your Dr about it, possibly one of your meds is causing this as well. I can't take any of the OAB drugs or I have the same problem.

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    replied
    Well thats good news
    I think most of the tri-cyclics list that as a possible side effect but there are other classes of anti's they could try. Also you could try lowering your dose. Have you been on that dose for long?
    Your at a pretty high dose and you might have withdrawal symptoms going totally off it at once. I think they recommend you taper off of it (if possible).

Leave a comment:

• melhil
    replied
    This is my worst symptom.It started with me waking up about one hour after I had gone to bed, to pee. But when I get there, I can't, and it is very painful to try. Like a knife trying to poke out of me. I have learned to get up walk around, and try again.
    I'm pretty sure my muscles are in spasm. I usually take a uristat, so that when I do pee, it will at least help mask the pain. After I pee, I am ok.
    In the last 2 years, I have an added pain. I find that instead of peeing, I have to poo. This is also painfull, but after I poo, I feel a little less pressure. After I poo enough, I am able to pee. I am getting up and walking around a little after each poo, or attempted pee, to try and stay calm. I think this might be the beginning of IBS.
    If I'm really lucky, I can get rid of the pain in 5 - 10 minutes. When it lasts over an hour, I get anxious. I have Valium to take, but haven't found it very useful, once I am so tight. I have had the episodes last up to 6 hours.
    My last bad episode, was after a sigmoidoscopy, without sedation. After 4 hours of not peeing, I called my urologist's emergency phone #, and asked to have a script called in for some caths. I was sure I could figure out how to do it. I had cath'ed my mom, after she had gone home, from a surgery.
    In the past I have thought of going to the ER to be cath'ed, but I live alone, and there is no way I could drive. My boyfriend was with me after my sigmoidoscopy, so he ran around town to get my caths.

Leave a comment:

• ginaaa22
    replied
    Thank you Donna, my dr prescibed me flomax to help. I didn't take my elavil last night and I can pee today!!! I'm feeling better and I'm going to get on a different med similar to elavil. I hate cathing myself..

Has anyone had this from Elavil? I've taken it on and off since I got diagnosed and this is the first time its happened

Leave a comment:

• lalarainbow
    replied
    I sure hope you find what is going on. Retention is scary --Ditropan x caused that with me.. I stopped it immediately..I am using Oxytol Patch now but does not seem to do much of anything..good or bad..

Leave a comment:

• flowerangela
    replied
    please get admitted.your health is the most important thing...i suffer from urinary retention as well. i think it may have to do with some of my meds and they had to put a foley cath in me for a week. ive started to go on my own now maybe 1-2 times a day but i fear the day i wont be able to go and have to start straining again. i dont want to have to self cath myself at home. i hate catheters..

Leave a comment:

• ginaaa22
    replied
    I honestly have no idea why. The dr on call told me that it is normal and if im not having any other symptoms other than not being able to go it is nothing to worry about. The hospital here in toledo wanted to admit me last night but I can't because I have to work and have class tonight so after class tonight I'm going back to be admitted until they can figure out what is going on. I think its something to do with my bladder muscle. I still feel like I have to go but I can't get it out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X