Last minute advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last minute advice?

I'm going to the urologist tomorow, and I'm so nervous. I hate communicating with doctors. How do you get through to them. I don't have a degree in medicine, but only I can feel my symptoms. Any advice?

My main advice is to speak from fact not emotion. Just state your symptoms, but don't get in to I can't live like this....... I feel like I can't be around my friends....... I find they get annoyed with that. I would say I void 50 to 80 times a day. I have burning in my urethra, I have stabbing pains in my bladder and on a scale of 1 to 10 it's a 10, etc. You don't want to be written off as a mental patient. For some reason patients in chronic pain are seen that way. We're emotional because we're in pain. If you've heard of any treatments you would like to try, you can bring it up to him. I used to bring a piece of paper with what I would like to say written down on it. That helps a lot.

Comment

Good luck. I'll think positive thoughts for you.

I agree with taking a list. Sometimes it can be difficult to remember what you wanted to ask when you're nervous. I hope it's a productive visit for you.
      ~Star B.

Conditions:
      Interstitial Cystitis
      Fibromyalgia
      Chronic Fatigue
      Endometriosis
      Neurally Mediated Syncopy

Comment

I agree with taking a written list of questions. And a small note pad so you can write down answers --- it can be very difficult to remember everything, especially if you're nervous.

Warm hugs,
        Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hope you had a good office visit

I had a really bad first visit with my last Urologist. I hope your's went better. Here's my hard earned wisdom earned by doing everything wrong:

1) Think about what you are going to say ahead of time. Identify your main issues and write them down. Keep the list as as brief as possible.

2) Reasearch, research, research. As much as possible read this board and anything you can on IC. Don't assume your urogist knows all this and is current with the latest developments. But don't tell him you have done this right off the bat. He will think you are a know it all and are trying to tell him how to do his job. They HATE this. Most doctors went to school for a long time, and feel they are experts, and that is understandable.

2) Arrive for the vist a few minutes early. This will give you an opportunity to compose yourself, take a few deep breaths and relax.

3)When you are talking to your Doctor, let him take the lead. Answer any questions as best you can but be brief and try to leave emotions out of it. Urologist are basicly surgeons -they have NO "bedside manor", and are uncomfortable with emotions and don't really like dealing with IC. They know IC will be hard to treat, and would rather deal with men who are not as emotional and have easier to treat issues. just my opinion, but I've seen a few urologist and so far it's 4 out 4 with this.

4) Don't tell your Urologist what treatment you want right away, wait until they suggest something. If you have objections to the proposed treatment, just ask questions. For example if he suggests Elmiron, say "I've read that it has side effects, I'm concerned about that, what are my other options?". This shows him that you are informed about IC, but not trying to tell him how to do his job. Do not say (for example) "Elmiron isn't right for me, I think I should get XYZ instead".

5)If you have pain issues and he hasn't brought it up first, don't be afraid to bring it up.This is one of the most difficult issues with IC. I struggled with this, as I didn't want to be seen as someone who was fishing for narcotics. I suffered for months with out adequate pain relief becasue of this. Allthough my Uro was an ass, he realized I wasn't getting enough pain relief and referred me to a pain clinic. If your's doesn't, don't be afraid to say "The pain of this has impacted my life and I'm not able to funcion, what do you suggest?". If he still doesn't get it, here is where you need to stick to your guns. Narcotics do not treat IC, but for for me they were a godsend, allowing meto live a more normal life. Many are afraid of dependency, but my research has shown that this is unfounded. As long as you are not someone who alread has dependency issues (and you would know by now if you were), and you take the meds as directed, you are not likely to get drug dependent. So don't be afraid of taking pain meds and don't be afraid to ask. If he won't give you pain meds and won't refer you to a pain clinic, you really need to find another doctor. I know that's harsh, but it's your life and you need to do what you need to do.

6) Bring a pad of paper with you and write everything down. Pain and pain meds are NOT great for short term memory.

That's about it - just my 2 cents, but it's what I would do, if I had to do this all over again.

Comment

Thank You

Thanks everyone for the advice. My appoitment did not go so well. Of course when I finally make it to the urologist my urine is fine. Murphy's law maybe lol. He seems to think I have endimitriosis. Now off to the gyno. Hope this goes well. I felt very rushed, and don't feel like I was able to say everything I wanted to say. At least he did acknowledge something isn't right. Maybe it isn't IC. That would be a blessing. They have several ways to treat endimitriosis. So we'll see where this goes, but I'm still concerned about all the UTI's I had. I'll tell the gyno. From what I hear she is a very good listener. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Oh and the nerves... My blood pressure was 149/109. This is extremely high for me. I was sooo nervous and my lower back was hurting very bad. I'll make sure I take a xanax before my next appt. I'll be way more patient and my nerves won't get the best of me.

Comment

Working...
              X