Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Flare in Years, Damn that Mucinex DM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    sailawaygrl
    ICN Member

• sailawaygrl
    replied
    DM is usually dextromathorpin for cough. I know that other's with IC are able to take mucinex and I can tolerate it also. I don't think I have seen the Mucinex DM. I take a store brand that Walgreens sells, it isn't the long acting and has only guaffisen (sp?) in it. Not much good to you now, I know but maybe that one would help.
    You can also buy the liquid store brands of Robitussin, there is one with only guaffisen in it as well. That is the only thing I am comfortable taking when I am sick. I am not so worried about my IC as drug interactions with other meds I take.
    I hope you find relief soon.
    Sandra

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    We are all so very different. I can't tolerate sudafed. When I catch a cold, I'm pretty well stuck with toughing it out --- and whining a lot.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    ICN Member

• cmclien
    replied
    Hi, Hope you feel better soon.
    Just an FYI, I take mucinex-d every day, doesn't seem to effect me personally....I have taken it for a couple of years. The "D" part is just sudafed which I can take too alone. The rest is guiaffenison which is the thinner, it is often recommend as a treatment for VV too.
    I don't take the syrup, what are the ingredients in it? The syrup DM might have something else in it for the cough that is bothering you???? just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• mbhbarb
    ICN Member

• mbhbarb
    replied
    Hi. So sorry to hear you are in pain again. Maybe you will find out it is a bladder infection -- that's what I've always hoped for when a flare comes along since that's much easier to remedy than IC is. That's an interesting thought about mucus thinners; I hadn't thought about that and will think twice before taking any cough medicine that includes one. I hope your appointment goes well and that you will be feeling better soon.
    barb

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I hope you will feel better soon. Thank you for sharing your experience. With this being the "cold" season, it's good to know which remedies can be a problem.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• dottiepark
    ICN Member

• dottiepark
    started a topic First Flare in Years, Damn that Mucinex DM!

First Flare in Years, Damn that Mucinex DM!

I am not new to the forum or IC, but my pain has been under control for years even with lots of cheating on the diet. But a doc recommended Mucinex DM for a cough and I took three doses and I woke with horrible pain, spasms, pressure. I bumped up my Urelle and added in some baking soda and the pain is down to a dull roar but I am seeing my uro tomorrow to see what else they can do for me.

So peeved...I looked up Mucinex DM and that was supposed to be an okay med with IC. Mucinex D, with decongestant, is the bad one. I'm an amateur diagnostician...I wonder if the Mucinex, a product that thins mucus, goofed up precious the mucosal lining in my bladder I have been cultivating for 12 years with Elmiron?
Working...
X