Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landor
    replied
    My husband and I can take out COBRA for 18 months after he leaves his job and moves up here, but it will run $800-1000 a month for both of us. He can live without the insurance, but since he is the policy holder, they wont let him keep the COBRA on just me. I have started to research companies that take prexistings, but cant get any quotes until I officially do an application. I pray that the IC will go back into remission once I get thru these stressful times. In TN, the state has a policy for people with preexistings once they have been refused coverage and six monthes has elasped. It will run $394 a month. Will have to work on getting my TN residency. Thanks for the advice

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Normal, healthy urine is very slightly acid. Alkaline urine can be a breeding ground for infection. If you have insurance now, I suggest you look at getting a continuation policy if the insurance is with employment. With a pre-existing condition, getting insurance can be close to impossible.

Warm hugs,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• scarlett0
    replied
    insurance sucks, doesn't it? if you have AAA auto, they have a prescription program that gives you a discount on meds. it's not much, but these days any little bit can help. since you're worried about a uti when you use the lidocaine, make sure you cleanse the area around the urethra well, and also the opening of the lidocaine tube/jar/whatever it comes in. use alcohol pads found in first aid kits or rubbing alcohol. you can get latex gloves at walmart and other places to make the process a little more sterile, if you like. maybe that'll enable you to keep the pain/burning under control until a better option kicks in. good luck!

Leave a comment:

• greeneyes
    replied
    Sorry I can't help, but i'm sure some of the long timers will chime in after work hours. I wanted to say welcome to the IC family.

Leave a comment:

• landor
    started a topic Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Hello... I have been reading the forums here as a guest for a while and have learned a lot of things. I have always had extreme urine frequency, gave me a lot of problems when I was a kid in school. I was dx'd with IC 10 years ago, been thru several urologists. Currently I am just taking Enablex nightly. I was on Elmiron for years, did not know if it helped or not. Stopped it about a year ago, after eliminating artificial sweetners from my diet and rarely ever flaring. I avoid acids when I am in a flare, and put sodium free baking powder in my low acid coffee. I rarely sleep (insomnia since childhood.)
    About 6 months ago I was practically pain free and then it all went bad. My husband and I decided that we were going to move 3 states away to the families farm that they are giving us. I would move all the animals and start to work part time, he would stay at his job and try to sell the house (dead-end, cant even give it away.) I thought I could deal with the separation, but apparently I cant. The stress has caused me to be so flared-up. I found a new primary MD who suggested I start an antidepressant due to starting to have anxiety attacks and a lot of weight loss. I suggested Elavil since I had read that it helped some IC patients. She suggested I started on 10mg/day and increase 10mg every 3 days until I was up to 50mg. I started on 5mg, for 3 days I could not sleep, funtion, eat. Had nausea at night.
    I finally got into a new urologist this Mon I got off this website. I thought she was very knowledgeable and aggressive. She talked me into starting instills with heparin/kenalog/marcaine. I did my first that day. She took urine and urethral swabs for cultures, and sent blood to test my hormone levels (females in my family have a hx of early menopause, I am 40.) My biggest problem now is not my bladder, but extreme urethral burning for a few months now. My bladder felt better after the instill, but I dont know if it made the urethral burning worse. I am suppossed to get 5 more weekly instills. In 2 weeks I should have the hormone panel and all the cultures back. She told me to stop the elavil since I was so snowed, she did not think I would be able to tolerate a therapuetic dose. I will have health insurance for a few more months, so am going to keep seeing this urologist as long as I can. She said dont bother going back on Elmiron since I cant afford it without insurance. She gave me estradiol cream to try 2x a week to see if it helps with the burning. I use ice and heating pads for the burning, but nothing seems to help. I have lidocaine gel, but am scared to put anything near my urethra for fears of getting a uti. I dip my urine daily to check the PH, having a hard time keeping it alkaline even eating a bland, depressing diet. I quit jogging and have just been walking. Anyone have any suggestions, I would be greatly thankful.
Working...
X