HYDROXYZ HCL 25 mg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HYDROXYZ HCL 25 mg

I just started on this med for IC. Nothing else worked. I am so sleepy. Its 25mg at bedtime. I took it almost 17 hours ago, and I am in a fog. Does anyone take this med? Does it work? Its an antihihmmstamine. Why would it work for bladder????

Mast Cells are involved with some of us that have IC. Hydroxyzine works to combat these cells. Also, Atarax is a calming medication frequently given before a patient goes into surgery.

http://www.betterlivingnow.com/produ...dc=68462036101

Hydroxyzine reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing and runny nose, or hives on the skin.

Hydroxyzine is used as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension. It is also used together with other medications given for anesthesia. Hydroxyzine may also be used to control nausea and vomiting.

Hydroxyzine is also used to treat allergic skin reactions such as hives or contact dermatiti s.

Hydroxyzine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
    Last edited by Tuckersmom; 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I am so sleepy, and I dont know how long I should give it to work...all other meds failed after 3 -4 months. I also take xanax, but I am not going to miss them. Because, they do the same thing. I am like in a fog, will it go away???? I still dont know how this will take away bladder pain. Elavil, Elmiron...nothing worked. Maybe it will help with pressure. I dont know. I told the dr. I think I have bladder prolapse, and he said, no way. I dont know why he just disregards this.

Comment

Hydroxyzine is probably my most helpful medicine. I only take 20 mg, 10 first thing in the morning and 10 mid afternoon. It doesn't make me sleepy.
        Symtoms started July 2010.
        Severe pelvic floor pain only.

2 time PT graduate!
        In medical remission since August 2011; able to eat and drink anything I want currently.

IC meds:
        200 mg Elmiron in the morning
        100 mg Elmiron @ night
        Macrobid after intercourse

03/11 07/11 01/12
        If at first you don't succeed: 07/26/2013!

Comment

I took this for 4 months, and for the first month or two, I would take it and fall immediately asleep. I would have to make sure I could sleep about 10 hours and I needed my alarm to wake me. Then I suddenly acclimated to it. The third month I was on it, I didn't fall to sleep like a zombie, and I only needed about 8 hours sleep. I can honestly say I have no idea if it helped at all. I also can say that I was able to get more sleep between stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Also, I was on it during the spring this last year and enjoyed the absence of all allergy symptoms--no running or sneezy nose, no itchy eyes at all (my least favorite allergy symptom--give me an ice pick, I'd gladly remove my eyes when they are suffering from allergy itchiness/pain), no congestion.

Does this help?

Daisy
          Last edited by JustDaisy; 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM.
          Daisy

Current Treatment:

IC diet (food that turns alkaline through digestion, not food from the acid/alkaline list), 2 cups of warm lemon water every morning (juice of one lemon), Forte amino acids

Herbs: (Now discontinued) Marshmallow root tea, grapefruit seed extract, serrapeptase, omega 3, quercetin, colostrum

Other/Rx: (All discontinued except birth control) baking soda, Tums, oxybutynin, amitriptyline, certizine hydrochloride, Loestrine 24 Fe

When I'm in pain: gabapentin, xanax (I have to shut the stress in my brain down), pyridium, tramadol, Prelief

To this point, four bladder dilatations: 7/11, 12/12, 12/14, 11/16

Tried and discontinued after 2 years: Elmiron (sad, waste of time and loss of too much hair!)

Comment

For me it took a while for my system to get used to the bedtime meds. Amtriptyline 25mg. 1 at bedtime and Hydroxyzine 25 mg. 1 at bed time. I most definitely can not take them both at bed time and awake the next day alert and ready for work.
            I was completely symptom free for 1 year now I am having a few flairs.... I am only taking one of these at bed time. Hydroxzine 25mg. Hopefully your system will adjust also.

Comment

Have you thought about reducing your intake? I take 25 mg in before bed. It helps me sleep. But if I need to take more than that I have to take it earlier in the evening so that I don't wakt up in a fog.

Comment

It did the same thing to me in the beginning but after a while I lost that foggy feeling. Started out on 10 mgs. at night and I have now been taking 100 mgs at night for at least 9 years I think but I do know the first night I took it I had my first real sleep of 3 hours. It was wonderful and now between that, vicoden and heparin instills I no longer get up at night to pee. Good luck with it.

Comment

The hydroxyzine is a sedating antihistamine similar to Benadryl. It probably helps IC in 2 ways by blocking the degranulation of mast cells and probably also help the pain by making you groggy. Several other meds will block the mast cells- claritin or allegra- they are also H1 blockers like hydroxyzine but will not make you groggy. Also, ranitidine (Zantac) and cimetidine (Tagamet) are H2 blockers and may actually work better to block the mast cells.One study with mice showed that ranitidine worked the best. I buy it over the counter and take 300mg every night.

Comment

Atarax

I'm on atarax as well. I'm not having much trouble with it. It does make me extremely tired but keeps me down for about 8 hours. This is pretty nice for me as I sleep pretty poorly otherwise. I have found that it does help with the pain, but I definately can't take it during the day yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shoshee10 View Post
                      I'm on atarax as well. I'm not having much trouble with it. It does make me extremely tired but keeps me down for about 8 hours. This is pretty nice for me as I sleep pretty poorly otherwise. I have found that it does help with the pain, but I definately can't take it during the day yet.
                      How long until pain goes away. I have been on it for 3 weeks, somedays are bad, and others ok

Comment

How do you manage to stay awake with amitripiline and the other stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by eilostnyc View Post
                          How do you manage to stay awake with amitripiline and the other stuff?
                          I am only on one thing. But now I am getting headaches, and the pain doesnt seem to go away. Sick of trying pills all the time. Nothing works.

Comment

I certainly understand. I was managing to stay pain free for 1 week on elavil 25mgs but it started giving me pounding heart palpitations and I am so frustrated that I had to stop it because symptoms are back and now its me and the icebag until I can get to dr on tuesday, so frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by eilostnyc View Post
                              I certainly understand. I was managing to stay pain free for 1 week on elavil 25mgs but it started giving me pounding heart palpitations and I am so frustrated that I had to stop it because symptoms are back and now its me and the icebag until I can get to dr on tuesday, so frustrating.
                              Elavil didnt work for me, I also was pain free for about a week and then it came back. Somedays on this med, I am better, but it just comes back. I have headaches and am so tired all the time. Nothing works really. Dont think there is anything left for me to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X