Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum, not new to pain

Hi, everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks but have decided to break in and introduce myself. I'm married and I have 5 daughters. I teach junior high English and reading full time. I love spinning (when I'm not in pain), cross stitching, reading, and spending time with my family. Other favorites include camping (especially in Yellowstone), 4-wheeling, and Disneyland.

This is my story: After doing my Masters, I had gained weight. During this time, I did absolutely no exercise because between full-time school, work, and mothering, there just wasn't time. In order to ramp up my metabolism, I started drinking energy drinks, Zip Fizz, to be specific. It worked. Between spinning and green tea/caffeine, I lost 40 pounds in three months. After about five months, I started feeling irritation, like a bladder infection, but my doctor found no infection. This went on for more than 4 years, then entire time I was downing Zip Fizz and Rockstars like they were going out of style.

My ob thought I was having trouble with ovarian cysts. He put me on the pill and called it good. After 1 1/2 years, I was still in pain--worse pain than ever before. It would spasm through my body when I least expected it and bring me to my knees in inexplainable pain. I decided to chart my pain, and there was no rhyme or reason to it. I took the chart to my ob and told him how I was using the bathroom more than once an hour, even at night. It was January of 2011 that he suspected IC and sent me to a uro. At this time, he put my on hydroxyzine for three months.

After talking to the urologist, he set me up for a hydrodistention. I had that done at the end of July and had a normal week of pain-free living. Sadly, the pain returned after 7 days, but the frequency has declined substantially. I only go 2-3 times during the night, and I can hold it a lot longer now. I still get flares almost every day, but not usually to the extent as I have in the past.

I am currently taking Elmiron 100mg 3x/day and Oxybutynin 10 mg once/day. For pain, I take Pyridium, Tramadol, and baking soda. By far, baking soda is the best of the three, and I only take it a couple times a week.

I still blame Zip Fizz for getting me to this place, but I strongly believe I have had an acidic body make-up my entire life. I have had everyone from doctors to dentists to orthodontists tell me this. I have only girls (I do not doubt that my body killed any "y's" giving it a go); early on, I was diagnosed with chronic bladder infections (but I haven't had one in about 15 years now); my mouth is riddled with fillings, caps, and crowns regardless of how much I brush and floss; orthodontists have been amazed at how fast my teeth moved when I was a teen in braces--and I refused to wear the rubber bands, head/neck gear, etc.

So, tada--this is me. It's so nice to meet you all and be able to talk about something that no one around me seems to understand.

Thanks for everything!

Daisy
    Daisy

Current Treatment:

IC diet (food that turns alkaline through digestion, not food from the acid/alkaline list), 2 cups of warm lemon water every morning (juice of one lemon), Forte amino acids

Herbs: (Now discontinued) Marshmallow root tea, grapefruit seed extract, serrapeptase, omega 3, quercetin, colostrum

Other/Rx: (All discontinued except birth control) baking soda, Tums, oxybutynin, amitriptyline, certizine hydrochloride, Loestrine 24 Fe

When I'm in pain: gabapentin, xanax (I have to shut the stress in my brain down), pyridium, tramadol, Prelief

To this point, four bladder dilatations: 7/11, 12/12, 12/14, 11/16

Tried and discontinued after 2 years: Elmiron (sad, waste of time and loss of too much hair!)

Wow...you are a teacher and have five daughters! Oh my gosh... I don't know how you do it. Having IC and teaching (I'm an ESL teacher) is a killer in my opinion. I could never be in a classroom all day. (I have the luxury of leaving the classes) Give yourself lots of credit for doing what you are doing. Just being a mom is one of the hardest jobs in the world.

I am glad the hydro gave some relief! I hope you get more good tips here and feel better soon. This site gives me hope and helps me to cope with this difficult condition.
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Thanks! I run to the bathroom between classes, but most of my classes are extremely sympathetic and well-behaved. Also, I threaten to turn the doc camera on them. And I also have tattle-tales willing to spill if anything goes awry while I'm gone!

Daisy
      Daisy

Current Treatment:

IC diet (food that turns alkaline through digestion, not food from the acid/alkaline list), 2 cups of warm lemon water every morning (juice of one lemon), Forte amino acids

Herbs: (Now discontinued) Marshmallow root tea, grapefruit seed extract, serrapeptase, omega 3, quercetin, colostrum

Other/Rx: (All discontinued except birth control) baking soda, Tums, oxybutynin, amitriptyline, certizine hydrochloride, Loestrine 24 Fe

When I'm in pain: gabapentin, xanax (I have to shut the stress in my brain down), pyridium, tramadol, Prelief

To this point, four bladder dilatations: 7/11, 12/12, 12/14, 11/16

Tried and discontinued after 2 years: Elmiron (sad, waste of time and loss of too much hair!)

Comment

I teach junior high also! I find junior high to be best. Sounds like you have great kids. You are lucky you can sneak out of class. I go into my students' classes throughout the day and can sneak out and no one cares. Whew!!!
        Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Working...
        X