Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep

Hello everyone

Just wondered does anyone have any good tips about sleeping when having IC symptoms?

I've just woken up after only 1 hours sleep with burning and aching deep down in my bladder and lower back pain.

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Thank you :-)

sleep

Yikes it sounds like a UTI, are you talking about something to put you to sleep or pain,urgency,frequency,?
    Blessings,
    Ruth

Comment

I was awakened many nights with this and it is the most frustrating part of this condition. I had to get up for a while and walk around. Sometimes a heating pad helped, and sometimes an ice pack did the trick. I found that sleeping on my back put the least amount of pressure on my bladder rather than sleeping on my side, but then I would wake myself up snoring! I couldn't win. A low dose tricyclic medication helped me at the time with the night time pain along with Benadryl.
      I also had taken Ativan for a while that helped a lot. When my bladder finally calmed down after being on some supplements and following the diet I didn't have this problem anymore. It seems that finding a sleeping position that puts the least amount of pressure on the bladder and pelvic area can help a great deal.

Comment

Amitryptiline has been the most helpful for nighttime flares. I do also take pain medicine every night - that helps also.

In terms of symptom spikes, as opposed to symptom management, I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. A heating pad under my back or on my stomach can help. I also rely a lot on distraction - I set the CD player or tv "sleep" timer for 60 or 90 minutes, so it shuts itself off if I do fall asleep. Paying attention to something else if it's not anything exciting is very helpful...

I hope you find some relief soon, nighttime flares are maddening!
        Best,
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

have you talked to your dr? Talking to the dr is important for the research. I have found sleeping on my side is the most comfortable. Was hard for me to do that, i was always a stomach sleeper. Try taking a bath before bed it ill relax your muscles and help. I still have problems with my insomnia but the bath helps especially a bubble bath.

Comment

Working...
          X