IC in children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IC in children

my daughter is six and was just diagnosed with IC. first question -- is the need to 'push' to get the urine out a major symptom? that seems to be her only complaint. other than that, she is healthy, active, in school and functioning normally. her urine scan from the doctor showed no signs of any viral or bacterial evidence. her guess is it's due to highly acidic urine. does any of this sound familiar to anyone? help -- i need info to know how to combat this for my kid.

Hi Kat Kat. I'm soo soo sorry that your daughter has just been diagnosed with IC. I'd love to talk with you personally by phone to share the resources that we have. I take a special interest in young children with IC. Please call me on Monday in the office. (707)538-9442.

Jill [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

Hi Kat Kat! This is just a thought, but I had to reply because your daughters story sounds so much like mine! I'm 45 now, but my first urinary symptoms started when I was a child, and like your daughter, were very mild. I had to urinate a little more often than normal, and I remember having to "push" sometimes to get the urine out. It would take me longer than normal to empty my bladder. Otherwise , I was fine, and of course back then no one had heard of kids having IC, so I was never diagnosed. It wasn't until many, many years later that I started having more symtoms including pain, and was finally diagnosed with IC. It turned out that my lower spine, sacrum, and tailbone were out of alignment, and probably had been since childhood. This was probably affecting the nerves going to my bladder. Getting my lower back straightened out has been incredibly helpful in relieving my symtoms, but its really tough to straighten out muscles and ligaments that have been out of place for 35 years. If the problem had been addresed when I was a child I probably never would heve gotten full-blown IC! If you haven't already, I would STONGLY suggest that you take your daughter to an osteopathic physician and/or a pelvic floor physical therapist. If she is out of alignment it is probably something that could be corrected pretty easily, since she is still so young, and it might really help. Unfortunately most urologist still don't know anything about this, so they probably won't even suggest it as something to try. If you want to know more about what an osteopath does, you could try callng Dr Lucette Nadle; her number is 774-463-0001. She is an oesteopathic physician who also has IC herself, and she gave a very informative presentation recently to our local IC support meeting here in Boston. Her office is in Malborough, MA, but I'm sure she could direct you to someone local to you if you are not in this area. I hope this is helpful to you and your daughter! beth_s

Comment

Beth-I myself find that VERY interesting...I am positive that my tailbone is out of whack-sometimes I get a build-up where my tailbone is, and I know that it's not in the right spot. About 3 years ago I had to go to the e.r. because it was infected and I had to get it lanced-I could not sit at all. I will definately bring this up to my dr-thanks!
        Jen

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of any little girl having this so young. At least now docs are willing to admit that little girls can have this and not spend years blaming them for their pain. Please take heart that IC can be controlled most of the time with medications, diet, clothing, and hygiene habits.

I had it as a very young toddler and I always had to push or at least I felt like pushing...but what I think goes on is that the bladder is really not full enough to generate a normal void, but we know from experience that voiding will ease the symptoms if only for a while so we have to PUSH the urine out.

When I get my IC under control, which happens now more than in the past, mind you never totally gone, but under control, I have to push urine out much less.

God bless your little girl and speed her on the way to finding what works best for her personally to manage her symptoms.

Comment

I agree about an Osteopath. I see one now and think that it is a big part in controling my symptoms along with avoiding irritant foods, calcium carbonate and Elavil or at times antihistamines.

Comment

I am 19 and jave had IC for almost three years.
              E-mail me if I can help you in any way--- my thoughts and prayers are with your daughter.

Amanda
              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X