Did anyones children NOT get IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyones children NOT get IC?

Still very worried about this one. Every post I see about children with IC their mothers have IC.

Is there anyone out there who developed IC prior to having a family whos children DO NOT have IC?

Thanks!
    TMJ Dysfunction 2009
    Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
    IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
    PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
    Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
    Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
    Endep 25mg - 4months
    Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
    Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
    Countless creams, lotions and potions.
    Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
    PT - for 1 year
    Various herbs and supplements

Hi- I have 2 adult children and I beleive that I had IC way, way back in the early 80's when I was in my 20's but not dx with it till I was 32. Anyway, my children born somewhere in that time frame are very healhy.

Comment

My son doesn't have IC. I got pregnant 3 years after being diagnosed. He is only 4, but goes all night without peeing. He's been very good about this since he was 2 or 3. He's totally healthy. I had to be on pain killer during pregnancy and was more worried about that. It never crossed my mind that he'd get IC. I pray he never develops it!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, between me and hubby we don't have very good genes to pass on I hope she gets all the good and none of the bad!!

If she got vulvodynia I would be beside myself, it's very very hard at times!
        TMJ Dysfunction 2009
        PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Endep 25mg - 4months
        PT - for 1 year

Comment

Family history is fascinating to me in studying different illnesses. It seems more likely that IC is gene-based, that is, some people have the gene switched ON and others switched OFF, independent of family history. I guess you could compare it to everyone in the world holding a flashlight, but only a small percent of those flashlights have the right batteries to turn on (so only a small percent of people have IC). This is just a theory, but an interesting one.

As far as three generations back, no one else in my family has IC except myself. My grandmother and my mother both had endometriosis, but I was the only child of a combined 6 who developed it.

Best wishes.
          Diagnosed with IC in 2005, since then have been diagnosed with an unspecified autoimmune disease, with inflammation in my bladder, colon, left knee, left ear, left eye, lungs and pericardium. Argh!

Medical research addict.

Comment

While from my perspective, I do feel there is a genetic component to IC, having IC does not mean you will pass it on; I remember having symptoms of IC since I was young enough to ride in a car-seat, and I was finally diagnosed with IC at 12 years of age, but neither of my parents have IC. And there is no history of bladder problems in my family, so it is certainly not guaranteed your child will inherit IC.

There really is no sense in worry about something that has not only not happened yet, but is unlikely. Relax, and enjoy your pregnancy, Claire! Your baby does not need you to stress about something silly like this!
            Congrats!
            Tierney
            Message me and add me http://facebook.com/tierneybrielle.

Diagnosed with IC at 12-years-old, but have had IC much longer, now 24-years-old - fibromyalgia (diasnosed 07/30/12) - CFS - migraines - diagnosed with myofascial pelvic pain syndrome in January of '12 - scoliosis since ~12-years-old & s/p spinal fusion (06/21/10) T10-L3 w/ metal implants & nerve damage - post laminectomy syndrome - lumbar spondylosis - mild dextroscoliosis now - menorrhagia and dysmenorrhea (both controlled) - IBS - chemical sensitivity - allergies - chronic nose bleeds - heartburn - rosacea - and that is just the relevant stuff

Do you have a question? Feel free to ask me anything; I am an open book!

I am not a medical authority; I do not offer medical advice. Talk to your doctor, and if you are not comfortable talking to your doctor, find another one. It is OK to advocate for yourself as well as not be satisfied with your doctor! You deserve the best medical care.

Comment

I have had IC all my life, I have 3 grown children. None of them have it boys and girls. Nobody I am related to has it.

My Dr. believes I have an immunity problem, I have low immunity proven, and people who have what I have tend to get autoimmune disease's, which he thinks IC maybe, Unproven.

Theories so far.

My immunity problem comes from both of my parents having a reccesive gene that I had a 1 in 4 chance of getting, I was the lucky one my sibs din't get it.
              My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

My brother has mild IC. None of my ancestors that I know of had it but had other things. My adult children do not but my D has complained about strong coffee on occassion. Oh oh.
                I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Ok, Claire.....I don't fit your request, but just have to say you have such a cute profile pic here and you're gonna have to update it so we can see that little tummy!!!!! Congratulations and try not to worry too much. Just take one day at a time and enjoy each moment of your little one's life!!!

Also, congrats that your IC is giving you a break!!!

Blessings,
                  Ginger
                  Never heard of IC til suspected....Never knew so many suffer from it. Praying for a cure. I've found answers...so can you...keep the hope.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery of surgery for bladder susp & hysto: painful/urge/freq urination up to 50 times a day, pain walking, even water hurts.
                  8/2009 Susp IC; 1/2010 Treatment began; 2/2010 Diag PFD, PT, Surg remove mesh; 5/2010 Surg, 2nd bladder repair, vag vault/sm int prolapse repair, IC confirmed in surg; 7/2010 Diag Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones,
                  8/2010 Surg gallbladder
                  TREATMENTS (updated 4/15)
                  IC Diet since 8/2009 (Able to vary 4/15)
                  Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills 1xDay
                  Aloe Vera Capsules, (2) 2xDay, Loratadine 1xDay
                  Pantoprazole, Prelief, Pyridium up to 3xDay, Premarin Cream 3xWeek
                  *DISCONTINUED since feeling better: Celexa 10mg daily*, Fiber supp*,
                  Gabapentin 12/2011 worked well *, Macrodantin 100mg after instill*, Probiotics*, PT-PFD*, Valium Vag Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5mg *
                  PROB MEDS: Elavil, up to 50mg 1/2011 ret&hbp, Urelle ret, Vesicare ret

Comment

My grandmother had IC. My mom and her siblings never developed it, though they did have problems with legitimate UTIs, including her brother.
                    • 27 year old student
                    • Had symptoms since I was 5
                    • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
                    • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
                    • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
                    • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

Comment

Originally posted by nanawaggs View Post
                      Ok, Claire.....I don't fit your request, but just have to say you have such a cute profile pic here and you're gonna have to update it so we can see that little tummy!!!!! Congratulations and try not to worry too much. Just take one day at a time and enjoy each moment of your little one's life!!!

Also, congrats that your IC is giving you a break!!!

Blessings,
                      Ginger
                      Thanks Ginger. Find me on Facebook Claire Andersen, Sunshine Coast, Australia. I know the pic needs an update I just have none of my pictures on this computer at work and I never get time to go on the net at home!

11 weeks and my baby will be here
                      TMJ Dysfunction 2009
                      PCOS March 2012

Endep 25mg - 4months
                      PT - for 1 year

Comment

Hi Claire,

Try not to worry about passing IC on to your child. Maybe one thing to make you feel a little better is think of all the research and strides that will continue to be made. God forbid your child would ever have to deal with this, but they'd probably have more available to them at that point then we have now...:-)

Jill
                        "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

Working...
                        X