Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IC in four year old getting more sensitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IC in four year old getting more sensitive?

My daughter has ehlers danlos and some chemical allergies that set off her bladder. Usually she will eat something, have bladder spasms all day and night and have other symptoms for the rest of the 4 day period until the offending thing is purged. Recently, on a well controlled diet, she started reacting to new things. Caffein(she never has caffein, so.....when she drank some tea that had it she had a reaction) and??? Unfortunately it seems it causes wide spread inflamation, including her heart-maybe from the ehlers danlos?? Does anyone know anything about progressively worse IC despite diet lockdown?

Re: IC in four year old getting more sensitive?

Tea, both black and green, are one of the strongest irritants to IC bladders. I suggest only chamomile and peppermint tea, otherwise only water, better boiled and warm to drink. Cold can again be irritating.

Comment

Thank you! She loves water, and when she is having an allergic reaction I put a drop of therapeutic grade lemon essential oil in it. From what I read the acidic part of lemon doesn't make it through the processing this way, and it helps her to detox. But obviously I don't want to expose her in the first place . We love warm water-maybe it's a bit instinctive, lol

Comment

malaurie, I am an adult (mid 60s) but I have suffered with food allergies all my life. I keep getting new allergies each year. The latest is a dairy allergy. So it is very possible your daughter is developing new allergies. I can certainly sympathize with you and your daughter. I remember having allergic reactions to food as a child before there was good allergy tests and it took years to figure what I was allergic to. My food allergies definitely affect my bladder (my allergy doctor calls it "allergic bladder"). You mentioned an allergy to chemicals. I am allergic to propylene glycol, a chemical in many cosmetics, household items, medicines and some foods. Propylene Glycol makes my bladder feel like it is on fire so you might want to check things like detergent, soaps, shampoos, etc for it. I can only use detergent with absolutely the least amount of chemicals, I guess you already know all this.

I have found that when I am having an allergic reaction to a food that is affecting my bladder only a couple of things help. One, I drink a lot of water (I drink Essentia brand water, it seems to help the me the most). The other thing I can do is drink a small amount of baking soda in water. Does not taste good, but it really calms my allergic bladder down. Have you tried this with your daughter?

It brakes my heart that a child only 4 is having all these problems. Jo Ann

Comment

Wow... I'm sooo sorry that your child is going through this. I'd love to talk with you by phone to learn more about this. If you're interested, please call our patient education line at: 800-928-7496 or 707-538-9442. If you get the service, that just means we're on the phone with other patients.. so leave a message and we'll call as soon as we can.

Jill O.
          ICN President & Founder
          Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

My daughter is almost 7 now and was diagnosed with IC at age 4. She too is on a very controlled diet which helps her. She also takes Prelief if she is going to consume something that might irritate her bladder (pizza, doughnuts, etc). She has had wonderful results. Also, her urologist suggested Aloe Vera supplements to coat her bladder. She only drinks milk and water. She also would take sn AZO pill when symptems were veey bad. Luckily, sheis dong very well now and rarely needs the medication. Hope this helps somewhat. There is nothing worse than having your little one in pain.

Comment

Allergic people should watch out for both Prelief and Aloe Vera. I am allergic to both--I break out in a rash from both. If you try them, try some on an inner arm first and if that does not cause your daughter to have an allergic reaction, try a tiny amount orally. The only thing I can take that does not cause an allergic reaction to calm down my bladder is a teaspoon of baking soda in water.

Comment

Working...
              X