today I was told I should drop out of school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today I was told I should drop out of school

Who the he!! do they think they are????? Today I went to look for some financial aid... getting IC wasn't in my game plan and it's put my budget way out of control. I was told by one jacka$$ in financial aid that I should consider dropping out (he implied that I won't be able to make it). If I didn't want another degree, I wouldn't have enrolled for one - I KNOW I want this degree *argh*. Some people Now I'm angry enough to want to get it just to show him wrong.

But here is a case where the Centre for Students with Disabilities was great - they don't want me dropping out, they don't think I should drop out Sometimes it is nice to have someone in your corner, even if that's all they can do

Liisa
    All obstacles in life are mere opportunities.

- Jesper Larson, Danish Mathematician

Hmmmmm --- sounds like something the Centre for Students with Disabilities should know. I doubt they would approve of anyone trying to discourage a student due to a disability.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I spoke with the CSD today, I'm meeting with them on Monday (they don't sound too happy about it). I'm not about to drop out... but I don't like the fact that it was suggested - if that had happened to me four weeks ago I just might have dropped out. I felt much better when the CSD gave me some encouraging words this afternoon.

Comment

Liisa!!!!! Give 'em heck! What if they told everyone with a disability to drop out of school?!? Is that legal? I'm so mad for you! Let us know what happens, okay?

Hugs and encouragement to you,
        Melanie J.

"The sun shines not on us, but in us." John Muir

Living a happy life in spite of IC! http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/melanie.html

Comment

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Liisa. School's a big enough pain in the a$$ without such hassles. I'm glad CSD was able to be encouraging. My college's disability services is helping me with housing, so maybe yours can get the whole financial aid thing straightened out for you. I really admire that you're not going to let that jerk bother you so much that you'll drop out. As long as you don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll do spectacular!

-Jennifer

Comment

BOO HISS!!!!!!

I was faced with the same suggestion when I was in college...for a different reason. I was married in my junior year and the following year (I was in a 5 year program) I found out I was pregnant.

I was in a special program for dietetics majors and I was told in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that me getting pregnant was not welcome. It was suggested several times that I was taking a spot from other "more deserving" students!!!!!

All my classmates stood by me and I graduated with my degree, my credentials, and an 8 month old baby in my lap....

You go for it Liisa....whomever told you that should be fired!

------------------
            Hugs, Julie B

[email protected]
            Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
            IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
            IC Diet Website
            For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
            Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
            Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
            IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Dear Liisa,
              I cannot believe that jerk in financial aid had the NERVE to say anything like that!!! But...I am so proud of your determination and strength to see this through and finish your degree!!! I'm so glad the Centre for Students with Disabilities was so supportive; it's really helpful to have them on your side. Good luck with your meeting on Monday, and let us know how it goes. Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Take care,
              Alexa
              My story of healing and hope http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/alexa.html

Comment

They are WRONG, and never forget that.

Amanda
                ([email protected])

Comment

any updates on the situation?
                  they are very wrong in their actions.
                  my college bends over backwards to make modifications for me, which is the law

Comment

Thanks for all of your concern The centre for students with disabilities has been really helpful and supportive lately. Unfortunately I've had run ins with more people at financial aid who have given me the distinct impression that students who classify as those with disabilities shouldn't be there (that is if they haven't said I shouldn't be there outright). I think going to this university was not one of my wisest choices, but I guess we all have to do that a few times in our lives and just learn from it

CSD has been supportive and my department is being okay right now, so I'll stick it out for the summer, see where it takes me and hopefully that will be three more semesters and a degree

Liisa

Comment

Liisa,

It's too bad you are having a bad experience with the financial aid department at your campus and I'm glad the CSD area is helpful. If it's only the financial aid office that you've had problems with, please don't let that color your view of the university as a whole. I work at a college and know that certain departments/people can be difficult, but that doesn't mean your entire experience where you are will be bad.

In your shoes, I think I would find out who financial aid reports to (i.e. VP for student affairs, VP for finance) and send them a note about your experience and disappointment with that office. It's important for the people in charge to be aware of problems in their areas of responsibility in order to make any necessary changes.

I hope things improve for you there. I've had to put my education on hold and can't wait to get back to the classroom. Seeing others with IC achieve their goals gives me more motivation to get back in there.

Comment

Liisa...I agree with Shell. I think someone up on the food chain needs to know how you were treated. Unless someone speaks up about it, they aren't going to have a clue to fix it for the next disabled person.

Shell....I was diagnosed with IC while in my last 1.5 years at Ohio State University. It was tough but I finished with my BA in psych in 3/00. I went back to work full time and even just got a promotion last week. Just wanted to share this with you...there is hope for ICers to get back to a near normal life.

Hugs to you both,
                        Melanie J.

"The sun shines not on us, but in us." John Muir

Living a happy life in spite of IC! http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/melanie.html

Comment

Working...
                        X