Bathroom problems at college

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom problems at college

Well, I've only known I had IC for a month or so now. I go to a local college and the building are new or recently remodeled. In the liberal arts building there is only one bathroom on each floor and it only has 3 floors. Well, all my classes are on the 2nd floor. The problem I have is that the only bathroom on the 2nd floor is for professors only. I had to the urge come on fast one day and new that I wouldn’t make it down the stairs so I went to use the bathroom on the 2nd floor. The next day there was a big sign (not the normal faculty restroom sign, this one was on green neon poster board) that said it was for Faculty use only and that anyone else had to go either to the 1st or 3rd floor. So if I get the urge to go I have to either go upstairs or downstairs to use the bathroom. So I miss part of class and sometimes I don’t think I’m going to make it. The real kicker is that the 2nd floor bathroom is right across from my classrooms. I just don’t see why teachers and students can’t use the same restroom. I had to get a letter from the doctor saying that I had a medical problem just so I could go to the bathroom with out missing class. Some of the teachers are not happy. But they can just deal with it.

I just think it is so stupid. In the science building there is only one restroom on each floor and you go into the door to the girl’s restroom and you see two doors. One says students the other says faculty. I saw a professor go into their bathroom and it is only a toilet and sink. It is smaller then ours. I just don’t get it.
    Walk in the light and the shadows will disappear.

I suggest you talk to your counselor about the bathroom situation. There should be some way you can arrange to have access to the nearest bathroom in all instances.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I agree with Donna, I am so sorry that you are in that situation. I know the feeling when you have to go, you have to go. You are not alone. Hang in there.there is hope. Let us know how you make out. We care.
      Hang in there , There is hope.
      There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Hello babydragon,

I had exactly the same situation in university. I would definitely follow Donna's advice. They might make an exception to use the Faculty bathroom because of your medical condition. Are you registered with the Disability Resource Centre? They would certainly support you on this.

Good luck!

Alexa
        My story of healing and hope http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/alexa.html

Comment

Hi, babydragon:

I am sorry that you have to deal with it. I can't believe there are seperate bathrooms for faculty and students in school in the states. I thought it was only here in my country.
          I think Donna is right. You have to let them know your need.
          Something that still bothers me now after I left college for a long time. I just didn't understand why I couldn't use faculty's restroom when I paid for my college fee so they got paid.

Comment

Sometimes talking to the counselors don't work. At the college I was attending there happened to be a building where there were only restrooms on one floor of the building (the first floor) I had a class on the third floor. The way my class was held I had to go down a VERY long hallway to the stairs go down all 3 flights of stairs then walk all the down another long hallway. It was a pain. I tried talking with people about it and in the end I just ended up having to drop out of that class. The thing that got to me the most was that for some reason they will only have that certain class on that floor of the building. (it was an english class).
            -Crystal
            Crystal Harvey
            Shelter Behavior Program Coordinator
            Certified Pet Dog Trainer
            (802)455-1014

Comment

If you get registered as a student with a disability they should give you some sort of clearance to use the toilet, I would hope! Also, there is a "restroom access card" that I have heard about on this site that you could get and show to someone if they are hassling you.

I got IC this year during my winter term. It is rough but I wanted to say good job for sticking with school and not letting IC get in the way of your education!
              30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
              ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
              (9/29/05-7/06)
              ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
              ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
              ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
              ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
              -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
              -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
              -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
              ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
              ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
              ~Vitamin D supplement
              ~Culturelle probiotic

Comment

Every university I have attended has had an office for students with disabilities. I'd make a visit to their office, explain the problem & IC and ask if they can help you. I would expect that they can get you more proximate restroom access (perhaps a key if needed?) and can run interference for you if you get an unsympathetic professor... Under the Americans with Disabilities act you should be able to get this handled. If there's no Disability center, Donna's idea about your counselor is a good one. If you do not receive help in one of these places, I'd go up the chain of command til you do. There is absolutely no reason your university can't handle this problem...

Wishing you success!
                Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                Source - Pinterest
                "

Current treatments:
                -IC diet
                -Elavil 50mg at night
                -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                -Pyridium if needed,
                -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                -Managing stress= VERY important!
                -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Hi Babydragon...
                  There isn't a rule made that can't be subject to exception, and that certainly seems to be the case here. For the tuition and fees you're paying, and with the backing of the ADA laws, no-one can blame you for screaming out loud until you get their assistance in this matter.

In the shortterm, I'd definitely make use of the Restroom Access Card (that someone above already mentioned) available on this site in the ICN Shop for $1.25 - carry it with you as you're using the second floor facilities. It states that "The bearer of this card has a serious medical condition that requires him/her to have immediate access to a rest room. The symptoms of this condition, Intersitital Cystitis, include frequency of urination and pain. Thank you for your cooperation." You'd have to be pretty cold-hearted to deny access to someone showing this card.

Good luck.
                  Tunia

Diagnosed with IC, IBS, Tinnitus, COPD and Bronchial Asthma, Sciatica
                  Taking more prescriptions than I thought possible!

Comment

Babydragon,
                    I'm a college administrator. In my opinion you need to see the disabilities counselor on campus right away. He/she will work with you to make reasonable accomodations. I think that having access to the nearest bathroom (whether or not it's staff only) is a reasonable accomodation! Really, they are most helpful. Good luck!
                    mom_in_ma

Comment

Working...
                    X